How to change a large numer of xml files into txt.files
Thread poster: inesfly

inesfly
Spain
Local time: 23:01
Member
Spanish to German
+ ...
Dec 18, 2007

Dear all

I have a question concerning the conversion of xml files into txt.
I have more than 20 xml files and I want them to change into txt.
Which is the easiest way to do it?
I thought to change the ending into txt. but when I want to do it the whole name of file disappears.

I would be happy if you could help me.

Best regards

Ines Reisch


 

Radek Ptak
Local time: 22:01
English to Polish
ren Dec 18, 2007

Hi,

I was going to say "ren *.xml *.txt" but I'm a little concerned about what you want to do to these poor filesicon_smile.gif

Radek


 

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 23:01
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Ask Joe Dec 18, 2007

Hello,
ask Joeicon_wink.gifhttp://toolsandmore.de/Central/Produkte/Software/Datei-Tools/Joe/

You should modify your settings in the explorer for the file view. Deactivate the option for supress file name endings of known file types.

Regards

Hans


 

inesfly
Spain
Local time: 23:01
Member
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ich finde die option nicht, muss ich mich bei 'joe' registrieren Dec 18, 2007

DSC wrote:

Hello,
ask Joeicon_wink.gifhttp://toolsandmore.de/Central/Produkte/Software/Datei-Tools/Joe/

You should modify your settings in the explorer for the file view. Deactivate the option for supress file name endings of known file types.

Regards

Hans


[Edited at 2007-12-18 13:18]

[Edited at 2007-12-18 13:41]


 

inesfly
Spain
Local time: 23:01
Member
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Radek I have xml files and I want to work with trados and change the xml into txt. Dec 18, 2007

Kedar wrote:

Hi,

I was going to say "ren *.xml *.txt" but I'm a little concerned about what you want to do to these poor filesicon_smile.gif

Radek


 

Radek Ptak
Local time: 22:01
English to Polish
INI? Dec 18, 2007

Isn't it better to prepare proper INI file and let TagEditor works directly on XML files? I assume you want to change extension to trick TagEditor and avoid being questioned about DTD settings.

Radek


 

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:01
English to Swedish
+ ...
Don't convert them! Dec 18, 2007

INES Reisch wrote:
Hi Radek I have xml files and I want to work with trados and change the xml into txt.


Hi Ines,

There's absolutely no need to convert or rename these files.
Trados works perfectly well on XML (unless you have a very old version of Trados.

The only catch is that you need a DTD from the customer, it's their obligation to provide a DTD when they supply the files.
If you don't have a DTD, you have to walk through the Tag Settings Wizard in TagEditor, to create an .ini file, so that the XML files will be parsed correctly.

Search the forum here at Proz for: +DTD +TagEditor
You'll find everything you need to know in the previous posts...


/Jan


 

inesfly
Spain
Local time: 23:01
Member
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Jan unforunately the customer provided me only the xml files no ini Dec 18, 2007

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

INES Reisch wrote:
Hi Radek I have xml files and I want to work with trados and change the xml into txt.


Hi Ines,

There's absolutely no need to convert or rename these files.
Trados works perfectly well on XML (unless you have a very old version of Trados.

The only catch is that you need a DTD from the customer, it's their obligation to provide a DTD when they supply the files.
If you don't have a DTD, you have to walk through the Tag Settings Wizard in TagEditor, to create an .ini file, so that the XML files will be parsed correctly.

Search the forum here at Proz for: +DTD +TagEditor
You'll find everything you need to know in the previous posts...


/Jan


 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 23:01
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
If you want to use TagEditor... Dec 19, 2007

... you could first try the default INI files available. I am sure there would be one among them that would make sense. Its still better than throwing all the XML information away by converting it to text.

You may also experiment with some XML tool (Altova XML spy for instance) to see if it can create DTD for it.

And last but not least - translating in Word? Word will isolate the XML items and leave the translatable text free.


 

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 23:01
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
DTD not necessary Dec 19, 2007

Hello,

you can create the ini file directly from the xml file.
Important is the adequate coding information which will read from the xml file.
After this the Tageditor imports all Tag elements from the xml file.
Than you should walk threw all elements and check the rigth properties. Often you must add attribute values und define which element is not to translate, which is internally.

You should read the manual and ask specific questions if there stay some open after this. Maybe you find an webinar for this point on the SDL website.

Using of standard ini files without knowledge of the file definiton can produce a lot of problems.

Regards

Hans

[Bearbeitet am 2007-12-19 08:12]


 

inesfly
Spain
Local time: 23:01
Member
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Vito for your answer! Dec 19, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

... you could first try the default INI files available. I am sure there would be one among them that would make sense. Its still better than throwing all the XML information away by converting it to text.

You may also experiment with some XML tool (Altova XML spy for instance) to see if it can create DTD for it.

And last but not least - translating in Word? Word will isolate the XML items and leave the translatable text free.


 

inesfly
Spain
Local time: 23:01
Member
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hallo Hans danke ich werde das versuchen, ich hab so viele files und die ini hab ich noch nicht entd Dec 19, 2007

DSC wrote:

Hello,

you can create the ini file directly from the xml file.
Important is the adequate coding information which will read from the xml file.
After this the Tageditor imports all Tag elements from the xml file.
Than you should walk threw all elements and check the rigth properties. Often you must add attribute values und define which element is not to translate, which is internally.

You should read the manual and ask specific questions if there stay some open after this. Maybe you find an webinar for this point on the SDL website.

Using of standard ini files without knowledge of the file definiton can produce a lot of problems.

Regards

Hans

[Bearbeitet am 2007-12-19 08:12]


 

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:01
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tag Settings Wizard Dec 19, 2007

DSC wrote:
you can create the ini file directly from the xml file.
Important is the adequate coding information which will read from the xml file.
After this the Tageditor imports all Tag elements from the xml file.
Than you should walk threw all elements and check the rigth properties. Often you must add attribute values und define which element is not to translate, which is internally.

You should read the manual and ask specific questions if there stay some open after this. Maybe you find an webinar for this point on the SDL website.

Using of standard ini files without knowledge of the file definiton can produce a lot of problems.

Regards

Hans


Hi Ines and all,

Hans is absolutely right, it's possible to create a custom .ini from the Tag Settings Wizard. This is the best option if the client doesn't have a DTD.
BUT: it's not for the amateur, there are a lot of steps you have to walk through, you need to define the Root Element, etc.

The SDL documentation on the Tag Settings Wizard is crappy, IMHO! I went for a paid course and got customized training material, only with this paper I could understand what was going on, and create an .ini successfully.

It would be fantastic if there was a webinar on this, but last time I asked SDL, this is the kind of info they like to charge money for. icon_razz.gif

/Jan


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change a large numer of xml files into txt.files

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search