Local time: 16:25
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 18, 2007

Have you migrated to W. Vista?

Would you say that it's friendly?

What about Windows Vista and Trados?

I'm about to buy a new laptop and they come with W. Vista already installed.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Alicia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-18 18:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:25
English to French
+ ...
it depends on your version of trados Dec 18, 2007

Hi Alicia,

I would not say it's friendly, in fact what I dislike in Windows Vista is I found it too "user-friendly", rather "for dummies like" with all its warnings and messages, which is exactly what I did not like in XP and which in the end I got used to... Since Vista was pre-installed on my laptop, I now have to use it everyday and I must say that it's going allright. I still find it boresome sometimes beacause of the high level of security (for example you keep getting 2 or 3 security messages everytime you try to download a file or to run a program), but globally it is OK once you get used to the new ways and paths and messages and...
What could be more of a problem is that as far as I know, Vista does not support versions of SDL Trados prior to 2007. So it might be a problem if you don't have the 2007 version...?

Cheers,

Annelise

Mer286  Identity Verified
Argentina
Spanish to English
My experience Dec 18, 2007

Hi Alicia!

I certainly LOVE Windows Vista! It's true what Annelise says about security messages whatever you want to do, but I try to see the positive side of this... it's keeping me safe, you can spoil things in just a minute! It's true it's different to XP or any other, but it's worth trying it...

The good news is I have Trados 7 and runs very well with Vista. Multiterm has no problems either. I even installed several dictionaries and had no problems at all. But I install Office 2003. I don't like Word 2007.

I thought I'd like nothing after XP... but after listening so much critism against Vista I have to say "I don't know why". There are some programs that have problems but Microsoft is working hard to find a solution.

Let's hope you like it as much as I do.

Regards,
Mercedes

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:25
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good news! Dec 18, 2007

I also have Trados 7.

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trados 7 Freelancer... Dec 19, 2007

Hey guys, I´ve got Trados 7 Freelance and for some reason it will not work on my new Vista laptop - I have to use the old one for Trados jobs. No big deal, but I would like it on this new snazzy system! Any tips?

Paul

Mer286  Identity Verified
Argentina
Spanish to English
That's strange... Dec 19, 2007

Paul Adie wrote:

Hey guys, I´ve got Trados 7 Freelance and for some reason it will not work on my new Vista laptop - I have to use the old one for Trados jobs. No big deal, but I would like it on this new snazzy system! Any tips?

Paul

Hi Paul!
I have Trados 7.1.0.719 and works fine with Vista. Are you using it with Office 2007? I couldn't find the complements in Word 2007, Trados toolbar never appeared and I constantly had error messages, that's why I went back to the 2003 version.

Hope it helps! Tell us more...

Regards,
Mercedes

Thomas Pauly  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Trados 2007 with Windows Vista and Office XP Dec 19, 2007

I'm using Trados 2007 with Windows Vista and there is no problem with the Workbench and TagEditor, BUT the Trados toolbar doesn't appear in my MS Word (I have the Office XP Professional version).

Any clues?

Thanks,
Thomas

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 22:25
English to Greek
+ ...
Trados 7 with Vista Dec 19, 2007

Trados 7 works alright with Windows Vista and MS Word 2003, but for some reason my Trados menu has disappeared... it gets really frustrating when I have to use the "fix document" command, because I just don't have it anymore... I've also tried to work with Word 2007, but it just doesn't want to open segments, so I gave it up...

Generally, I believe that Windows Explorer at Vista is more user friendly, but I've also noticed several "peculiarities", the least to say... I honestly don't know if it's worth the trouble after the so functional XP.

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
What about older versions of Trados? Dec 26, 2007

I am currently using version 6.5 and am pretty happy with it. If I do decide to invest in a new desktop, it's gonna be tough to avoid Vista, and I don't really want to have to shell out the big bucks for the latest version of Trados, too.
Has anyone had any experience with 6.5 and Vista?

Dragi Peltechki
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Trados 6.5 doesn't work with Vista Jan 28, 2008

I installed Trados 6.5 on my new laptop pre-installed with Windows Vista but it doesn't work.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quick tip to recover the lost Trados menu Jan 28, 2008

I'm running Windows Vista, Office 2003 and SDL Trados 2007. After a few initial hiccups, everything has been working perfectly fine for some time now.

Eleni, one way to recover your Trados menu is to go to Tools-Templates and add-ins-Templates tab and check the TRADOS8.dot template. If it's already checked, try unchecking it first and then checking it again. It usually works for me when the Trados menu goes missing.

No complaints here regarding performance under Vista, although I STRONGLY recommend disabling Vista's UAC (User Account Control), as it tends to wreak havoc in Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Window Vista and Trados

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search