How to clean-up text boxes in headers and footers?
Thread poster: Francesco Paolo Jori

Francesco Paolo Jori  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:15
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 20, 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to clean-up headers and footers in a word 2003 document translated with Translator's Workbench (Trados version 7.1). I used the "clean-up" command in TW to clean-up the text and noticed that headers and footers were not cleaned in the clean file. I searched posts dealing with this problem and I found that I can use the Word macro "tw4winClean.main" and it worked just fine on the text included in headers and footers. However it did not clean the text present in text boxes included in headers and footers.

Anyone had this problem? Which is the solution?

Thanks,

Francesco

Direct link Reply with quote

Radek Ptak
English to Polish
Open Dec 20, 2007

Open your document in Word place cursor in text box and run tw4winClean macro, or use Replace function to replace hidden text with [NOTHING] (if you have a lot of boxes).

Radek

[Edited at 2007-12-20 15:35]

Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really working... Dec 20, 2007

Hi Radek,

thanks for your reply.
I had already tried to use the macro as you suggest, but I didn't get any result, both source and target text remained there. I tried the other way, with the replace function and it helps cleaning-up the source segment, but it leaves the Trados beginning of paragraph and end of paragraph signs and I cannot cancel the manually beacuse it says that they are protected tags.

Any other advice?

xxxdikran d  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 05:15
French to Turkish
+ ...
Toggle tag protection Dec 20, 2007

Francesco Paolo Jori wrote:
... but it leaves the Trados beginning of paragraph and end of paragraph signs and I cannot cancel the manually beacuse it says that they are protected tags.

Any other advice?

On your Word window click on "Trados"
Then select "Toggle Tag Protection".
I think now, you should be able to delete the beginning and end tags.

Portugal
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Dec 20, 2007

Now when I use the Replace command in the way suggested by Radek it automatically deletes also beginning and end tags!

Problem solved, thanks to both of you, even if I keep thinking that Trados guys should try to fix this...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to clean-up text boxes in headers and footers?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search