“Program too big to fit in memory” when starting Trados Freelance 2007 installer
Thread poster: xxxUSER0059
xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:14
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jan 2, 2008

Hi,

I am trying to install SDLTrados2007_FL_SP1_826.exe on a Windows XP box with 1 GB of RAM. I have managed to free up to 560 MB, but still I consistently get “Program too big to fit in memory” when starting the installer.

I don’t even get to the graphic part – actually I have to start the binary from a command prompt in order to even see the error message, otherwise the text justs flashes by.

According to Translationzone, the requirement is 256 MB RAM (512 MB recommended), so I should be in the green. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the problem?

(I’d file a support case, but the guy who bought the software, and thus apparently has the logon credentials for the SDL site, is away.)

With thanks,

Thor Kottelin

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Windows error messages :-( Jan 2, 2008

Windows is notorious for giving very strange error messages. Especially when Windows claims problems with memory or such, one should be very cautious. Often the problem will lie elsewhere totally.
Which basically means you have a problem. Check out the help pages on the Trados website, especially the Knowledge Base, if they have one. Chances are, you're not the first with this problem.
By all means file a support request - these people should know they've created a faulty program.
I find that in many cases, odd error messages can have to do with security settings - if you you do not have writing rights to a certain folder that the installer needs, it will crash and more often than not, give you a very, very quirky error message. I would look in that direction first.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:14
English to Swedish
+ ...
Installer probably corrupt Jan 2, 2008

Thor Kottelin wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to install SDLTrados2007_FL_SP1_826.exe on a Windows XP box with 1 GB of RAM. I have managed to free up to 560 MB, but still I consistently get “Program too big to fit in memory” when starting the installer.

Hej Thor!

Did you see this:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/0/8e724f74e41907c5c12568490048fb23?OpenDocument

"This is a Windows error message that generally appears when a file that you run is corrupted. You can try two things (in this order):

1. Restart Windows, close all other applications, and run the Intelligent Updater again.
2. If step 1 fails, the file is likely corrupted. Delete it, download the file again, and then run it."

If that's the case with Symantec's installer, we could have a similar scenario here.
Did you download this installer, and are you sure that the ex is intact?
Because of the huge file size, other users here on Proz have reported that their download was interrupted, and the file got corrupted along the way.

Make sure you use a download assistant like FlashGot or Orbit Downloader, that can resume a broken download.

/Jan

xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:14
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, the installer was broken Jan 9, 2008

Thank you to both Jans, and especially to J-a-n S-ndstr-m, who turned out to be right - after I got my hands on the installation CD, there were no more complaints!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

“Program too big to fit in memory” when starting Trados Freelance 2007 installer

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search