Thread poster: Piotr Rypalski

Piotr Rypalski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:28
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 4, 2008

Hi,

I have a strange problem when trying to translate several short and really simple .txt files with Trados (7.5.0.756, Win XP). Whenever I open a file, I get the following message:

"Failed to retrieve tag toolbar settings for plugin file format. Filter definition not found: RegEx File Filter 1.0.0.0"

Then the file opens normally, I can translate and save the file, no problem, but the function 'save target as' doesn't work (the same message appears).

I assume there's some problem with plug-ins, but I don't know what to do about it.

TIA for your help!

Best,
Piotr

Direct link Reply with quote

Radek Ptak
Local time: 10:28
English to Polish
TXT? Jan 4, 2008

Hi,

I'm surprised that you can open *.txt files directly in TagEditor. My doesn't do that which isn't strange as TXT means Text so means more or less nothing

Anyway, I would change extension to HTML and use default HTML INI with small modifications: turn off entities conversion and turn on "preserve line breaks" option.

Radek

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of cource not directly Jan 4, 2008

Well, they are .txt files previously saved as .ttx ones, but still, the problem occurs - I get the message, then I can work normally until I want to save target.

The same message appears when TE finds a 100% match.

Best,
P.

[Zmieniono 2008-01-04 14:03]

Radek Ptak
English to Polish
already TTX? ok then Jan 4, 2008

Ahhh.... ok! So open one TTX file in notepad and give me two informations:
- value of DataType attribute;
- value of PlugInInfo attribute;

radek

PS. and trados version please

[Edited at 2008-01-04 15:44]

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here you go ;) Jan 7, 2008

DataType="PlugInConverted"

PlugInInfo="<PlugInInfo><PlugIn><Guid>RegEx File Filter 1.0.0.0</Guid></PlugIn><ScanInfo>Processed by RegEx filter.</ScanInfo><CustomFileInfo></CustomFileInfo><FileSettings></FileSettings></PlugInInfo>"

Trados (7.5.0.756, Win XP).

Best,
P.

Radek Ptak
English to Polish
so :) Jan 7, 2008

So everything is clear, RegEx File Filter is a brand new filter not available in Trados 7.5.X so called SDL Trados 2006 (exactly the same problem was when one tried to translate, in Trados 5, TTX files created form PPT in Trados 7 for example). You will not be able to rebuild (save Target As) them, as far as I know, but you can easily remove that annoying error message.

Just open your TTX file in Notepad and temporary change
DataType="PlugInConverted" into DataType="RTF" and
PlugInInfo="ble ble ble" into PlugInInfo="".

Then, after translation, recreate TTX header back to initial stage and send them to the creator for rebuild

Radek

PS. there is a patch available for Trados 7.5.0.756, it will upgrade your build to version 7.5.0.759, they solved a few DOC and Indesign problems there.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Missing info Jan 7, 2008

Piotr Rypalski wrote:

Well, they are .txt files previously saved as .ttx ones, but still, the problem occurs - I get the message, then I can work normally until I want to save target.

Hi Piotr,

We're missing one piece of the puzzle here. How did you create the TTX from TXT?
By opening the TXT in TE and let the program create it automatically?
That's the problem, Trados doesn't know how to parse the TXT and ends up assigning the wrong attributes. It's not the right way to do it!

So what's inside the TXT. Just plain text, or tagged strings from a third party application?

If it's just plain text, you should rather open it in Word, and re-save it to an RTF instead.

/Jan

Radek Ptak
English to Polish
new way Jan 7, 2008

Hi Jan,
Apparently ther is a new filter which can tag any structured text file based on regular expressions. It applies internals/externals on the fly instead of manually marking them in MS Word or via INI.

radek

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, this piece is missing for me too... Jan 7, 2008

I don't know how the .ttx files were created, I just know that the source files I got from my client (saved by him as .ttx) were previously .txt ones.

The only tags I can see in the original files are some codes (variables?) to be used later on by people localizing this TV game that I'm translating now. Perhaps the problem appeared somewhere during conversion, hard to say.

The problem is I have to save target and send the files in .txt format - that's the only certain thing here

Best,
P.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
It seems that you need to upgrade TRADOS Jan 8, 2008

Piotr Rypalski wrote:

I don't know how the .ttx files were created, I just know that the source files I got from my client (saved by him as .ttx) were previously .txt ones.

The only tags I can see in the original files are some codes (variables?) to be used later on by people localizing this TV game that I'm translating now. Perhaps the problem appeared somewhere during conversion, hard to say.

The problem is I have to save target and send the files in .txt format - that's the only certain thing here

Hi, Piotr,

From what I understand, the TTX file was created with TRADOS 2007 (TRADOS 8) while you have TRADOS 2006 (TRADOS 7.5) and that seems to be the reason why you cannot save as target.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think that you can save the TTX as target without TRADOS 2007 (TRADOS 8).

Daniel

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe demo version? Jan 8, 2008

dgmaga wrote:
Maybe I am wrong but I don't think that you can save the TTX as target without TRADOS 2007 (TRADOS 8).

Having said that, perhaps you can download a demo version of TRADOS 2007 and use it to save the TTX as target, although I am not sure that the demo version will allow this.

I don't think you can have TRADOS 2006 and TRADOS 2007 in the same computer, though.

Daniel

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
No way... Jan 8, 2008

Piotr Rypalski wrote:

You can translate the TTX file (see the tip from Radek), but you cannot save the target file using your Trados version.

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Bad request from client! Jan 9, 2008

Piotr Rypalski wrote:

Hi Piotr,

As others already have mentioned: TTX files should always be cleaned on the same version/system as they originally were created on.

So this was a bad request from the client. They should ensure that you have the same trados version, or they shoudln't have asked cleaned txt files in the first place!

Basically, this is the client's problem, not your's. Since they didn't verify that you had Trados 8, they were wrong in requesting you to do the cleaning. Now it's their job to resave it back to the original format!

/Jan

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TXT files in Trados 8 Jan 9, 2008

Radek Ptak wrote:

Hi Jan,
Apparently ther is a new filter which can tag any structured text file based on regular expressions. It applies internals/externals on the fly instead of manually marking them in MS Word or via INI.

radek

Thanks Radek, this is very good news! I've heard rumours about it, but I'm happy to hear that it actually works. Another reason to upgrade...

/Jan

Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So... Jan 10, 2008

Thank you all for your helpful insight. It seems I have to download this new Trados that has been waiting for me on my SDL account... for some time now

Best,
P.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message in translating simple .txt files

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search