Thread poster: Kjetil Holm
Kjetil Holm  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 09:38
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Jan 8, 2008

Hello,

I did an assignment for a client, delivering both cleaned and uncleaned files. Now they want me to do some changes in these files. The problem is that I can´t make changes in the bak.file and then clean it (it just disappears). I read somewhere that you had to turn the bak.file into a word file when making changes - but this doesn´t work either. Even if I put on .doc, the file is still a bak.file and can´t be cleaned.

So - considering the client wants the changes in both the uncleaned and cleaned files - what do I do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Radek Ptak
Local time: 08:38
English to Polish
still doc Jan 8, 2008

Hi,

But BAK file it is ordinary DOC (or RTF) just with diffrent extension. Just rename it back to DOC and you will get your uncleaned DOC file. Then make some changes in it and clen again.

radek

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
you can always pretranslate the new source Jan 8, 2008

So - considering the client wants the changes in both the uncleaned and cleaned files - what do I do?

The unchanged segments will stay as they are and you will just have to update, what has been changed in the input file(s).

Remember, if everything else fails, you still got your Translation memory - except if it was your HD that failed (g) -.

Regards

Vito

Norway
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 8, 2008

Thank you for your answers. I still don´t manage to change the bak.file into a Word fil, though. I´m writing the extension .doc right after the file name (i.e. "File name".doc). Maybe I´m just stupid here, but it doesn´t seem to work.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Display extensions Jan 8, 2008

Set your Windows Explorer to display extensions for all files.

Norway
German to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 8, 2008

Thanks for the tip. I now also came upon the simple solution of copying the content of the bak.file into an empty Word document and then doing changes and finally cleaning the file. Don´t know why I didn´t think of this before ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Making changes in bak.files

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search