Cannot open segments (Trados + Word 2007)
Thread poster: Jennifer Neikes
Jennifer Neikes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:51
English to German
+ ...
Jan 14, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I have a compatibility problem with Trados and Word 2007 and hope I'm not asking a question that has been asked before.

I have recently installed Trados 2007 on a new computer with Win XP SP2 and Office 2007. I have used the same Trados version on another computer with Office 2003 without any problems and the new office system also worked smoothly before I installed Trados on it. Now unfortunately, the two won't work together:

Unlike other users who seem to have problems seing the Trados toolbar in Word 2007, I CAN see it, but the words are distorted, i.e. there are Chinese signs instead of the German Umlaut letters.

The biggest problem however is that I cannot open segments. When I place the cursor in front of the segment I want to open and use the 'open' function, Trados only marks the very first letter of the segment grey, but no blue and yellow lines appear and I cannot insert a translation.

Then, when I want to close Word it won't close and I have to force it to shut down. Since I installed Trados I have the problem whenever I want to shut Word down.

Has any of you had the same problems and been able to solve them? Or any good ideas? I'm beginning to be quite desperate because I have a customer insisting on Trados and I don't feel like switching back to my old computer...........

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Jennifer

Direct link Reply with quote

Sommersonne  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
Trados version and Service Pack Jan 14, 2008

Hi Jennifer!

I recently stumbled upon the same problem. As far as I know, Trados 2007 and Word 2007 are not originally compatible. You need to download a newer version of Trados (build 2.08 or so) and a Service Pack from the Trados-SDLX website. Otherwise you will have to keep on using Word 2003.

Good luck,

Stefanie

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SP 1 for Trados already installed Jan 14, 2008

Hi Stefanie,

thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention in my first contribution that I have already installed Service Pack 1 for SDL Trados 2007. So according to them, it should be compatible with Office 2007.

I hope there's more I can do....

Jennifer

Ayob Salleh  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
Member (2006)
English to Malay
Word 2003 and word 2007 Jan 15, 2008

Maybe this might help. If you use 2007 and word 2003 you must used trados7.dot, this can only happen if you install 2007 and 2006 together and definitely you will have trados7.dot and trados8.sot, however if you install both error Trados 2007 and trados 2006, , message will appear and you have to uncheck either trados7.dot or trados8.dot. This is very irritating and sometimes it crashes, trados7.dot will appear in add in. If you used used word 2007, as far as I know on only trados8.dot will work -

Sommersonne  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to German
+ ...
sorry.... Jan 15, 2008

Jennifer Neikes wrote:

I forgot to mention in my first contribution that I have already installed Service Pack 1 for SDL Trados 2007.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer!

Sorry, in this case I don't know any more advice myself. That solution also might have been to easy to be working..... ;O) I wish you good luck in sloving the problem.

Best Regards,

Stefanie

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so far Jan 15, 2008

@ Stefanie: Thank you very much anyway. Sometimes you just forget to look for the obvious so your suggestion might well have been very helpful.

@ Ayob: Thank you very much, too, for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I have only installed Trados 2007 on this computer, so there should only be trados8.dot on it and no interference from earlier versions is possible.

Perhaps there is some computer/Trados genius out there who can help me.........

Regards,
Jennifer

Hanne Rask Sonderborg
Local time: 21:51
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Tried reinstalling Trados 2007? Jan 30, 2008

I have a vista PC, Trados 2007, and Word 2007. It sounds to me like your Trados may not have installed correctly. Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling can save time. I just spent 2 days trying to figure out why Muliterm Convert did not work for me any longer, not realizing that the program had gotten corrupted when my PC crashed a while ago!

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstalled 4 times already Jan 31, 2008

Hi Hanne

Thank you for your reply. I have already reinstalled Trados several times on this computer, but it didn't help. However, I have always reinstalled it from the same source (backup-CD), so peraps I should try installing it from another source. Maybe the CD is corrupted....

Thanks for this input.

Jennifer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot open segments (Trados + Word 2007)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search