Pamela Cruz  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:58
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 15, 2008

Hi,

I am working on a DOC file of 18 pages with many images. I cann run TRADOS on it , I translated the whole file, but when I have to clean this file, Workbench (7.5.0.756) runs and, without giving any error message, ends the operation (after a while) but leaving the file uncleaned.

Sometimes I have had this problem before, and I resort to Wordfast, which cleans the file with no problem. In this case, Wordfast would clean the file, but after closing and opening the same file again, it requires a password to see the cleaned file on a modifiable version. And no one has created a password for it! I tried changing the name of the file, but it proved useless.

has anybody seen this situation before? Is the only solution to delete the source text manually?

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 05:58
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Have you tried this? Jan 15, 2008

1) Back up your file
2) Go to Tools > Macros
3) Select "tw4winClean.Main"
4) Click on "Run"
5) Voilá

It's really important to back up your file if you do this. Why? Because running the macro won't create an uncleaned BAK file for you, so all you will be left with will be the cleaned Word file.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:58
English to Swedish
+ ...
Clean it thru TagEditor Jan 15, 2008

Pamela Cruz wrote:

Hi,

I am working on a DOC file of 18 pages with many images. I cann run TRADOS on it , I translated the whole file, but when I have to clean this file, Workbench (7.5.0.756) runs and, without giving any error message, ends the operation (after a while) but leaving the file uncleaned.

Hi Pamela

I found it implausible that there's no error message. Is the log file created at all, and what does it say?

Anyway, "complicated" DOC files are better translated with TagEditor. Open the untouched source file there, and just run a "Translate to fuzzy" against your TM, this will only take a few minutes.

Save the target file. That's it!
If you still get error messages, please post the error code here.

Good luck,

/Jan

Chile
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gracias!!! Jan 15, 2008

Hi Marcelo,

Thanks for your answer, really!! It worked perfectly

Saludos,

Pamela

Chile
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 15, 2008

Hi J-a-n S-ndstr-m,

I thought it was very strange too, but it was like that: after clicking on the Clean button, the system looked as frozen about 3 mins, and finally Workbench showed 0% on both lines and all its buttons active again, with no error message with red background on the bottom.

Thank you for the tip about TagEditor. I will use that one with the rest of the files.

Saludos,

Pamela

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:58
English to Swedish
+ ...
Look at the log file instead Jan 17, 2008

Pamela Cruz wrote:
I thought it was very strange too, but it was like that: after clicking on the Clean button, the system looked as frozen about 3 mins, and finally Workbench showed 0% on both lines and all its buttons active again, with no error message with red background on the bottom.

Yes, but did you actually look inside the txt log file created?!
I don't trust the red flashing error message, since it can disappear in a split second. The log file should always save any error codes though.

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot clean a 3MB DOC file...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search