Lost translations after machine crash in Trados TAgeditor 8
Thread poster: Elisabeth Bull

Elisabeth Bull  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:52
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jan 17, 2008

Hi all,
I'm having a rough time adapting to Trados 8 on a new laptop. Today my computer crashed again (2nd time this week), and again I discover that I have lost all the translations I have done today. Is that possible? I seem to remember Trados has been foulproof that way in the past, or is it just foulproof against Word crashing? What I mean is that whenever something crashed, I could rest assured I'd find it in the tmw file.

IF this is true I will go back to Trados 7.5 at once and never update again. Ever.

Best regards,
Elisabeth

Direct link Reply with quote

Quest4  Identity Verified
English to Danish
Lost translations after crash Jan 17, 2008

Hi Elisabeth,

I am also using TagEditor 8. My computer sometimes crashes - but I don't think it is due to the TagEditor.

Whatever software, I never trust it - especially when you don't know when your computer starts crashing (it may need a bit of tidying-up of the programmes - but not to know)..

I have made a habit of saving my work often - and never work more than half a day without making a backup of the work on another media - and remember to do this - and save not only the latest backup but also the ones after.

Best regards,

Niels Quist

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just need confirmation that Trados did not lose data before Jan 17, 2008

Hi Niels,

I don't think Tageditor caused the crashing either - that is solely a machine problem that I will confront the salesperson with. My problem here is: Should Trados lose data at all if anything crashes (be it Word or the computer)? I seem to remember the segments were saved immediately once they were entered into the memory?

If this is not so, and if I have to save the TM frequently, I will have to close and open the TM to save it, because there is no Save command there.

Rgds,
Elisabeth

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 can corrupt a TM entirely Jan 17, 2008

Hi

You are one of many who have these kinds of problems. I lost an entire TM after importing a small TM into a big one with Trados 2007, it was irreconcilably lost, even SDL support couldn't do anything about it.

I have gone back to Trados 2006, there were too many bugs.
This program suite has seen a sharp decline in quality since SDL took over. The way it is now, I daresay it is not a professional, reliable program anymore.

Backup, backup, backup as much as you can.

Good luck.

English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will revert to previous Trados version Jan 17, 2008

That was the confirmation I needed to go back to good old Trados 2006. So far I have not seen any news or extra features in this new Trados verson anyway, so I see no reason to stick with it. I really hope someone at SDL are reading our sad stories and consider rethinking whatever policy it is they are following. If they think this will make me start using SDLX instead of the crumbling remains of Trados, they will be sorry. I'll find something else to use when that time comes.

Best regards,
Elisabeth

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:52
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TM for crashed job Jan 18, 2008

My TagEditor for Trados 2006 sometimes crash during the translation.
I restart TagEditor and find that all my translated segments are always correctly saves in TM. This save me much time.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost translations after machine crash in Trados TAgeditor 8

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search