"Subsegment contains invalid data" / Trados SDL 2006 CP2 compatible with Trados 7.1?
Thread poster: Jeremy Amos
Jeremy Amos
Jeremy Amos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:47
German to English
Jan 17, 2008

This is a long story, so bear with me.
I encountered a problem trying to translate subsegments ('xe' tags, i.e. index entries) in Word with Trados 7.1 (build 719), in that when I tried to translate them using Alt+1 Trados showed the error message "Subsegment contains invalid data".

After much research, I have determined the following:

From various sources including
... See more
This is a long story, so bear with me.
I encountered a problem trying to translate subsegments ('xe' tags, i.e. index entries) in Word with Trados 7.1 (build 719), in that when I tried to translate them using Alt+1 Trados showed the error message "Subsegment contains invalid data".

After much research, I have determined the following:

From various sources including a Proz forum http://www.proz.com/topic/64898 :
12. [Translator's Workbench/Microsoft Word] Following one of the Microsoft Office Updates (Security Update for Word 2003: KB917334), the error message "Subsegment contains invalid data" displays when inserting index fields. This has been resolved.

This is apparently from a document entitled "Problems Fixed in Cumulative Patch 2 for SDL Trados 2006". This appears to offer two options for resolution: uninstall KB917334 or install Trados SDL 2006 cumulative patch 2.

The first option is undortunately not available to me - further research reveals that KB917334 appears to be part of Office 2003 SP3, which I have previously installed and which is, oddly, not uninstallable (added to which I wouldn't really want to uninstall it anyway).

So this leaves me wondering whether I can install SDL Trados 2006 CP2 over Trados 7.1 (build 719), which is freely available, though well hidden, from the SDL website, or whether my license will be invalid for this. Unfortunately I don't have a spare machine where I can try this out.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Or, or course, does anyone know of an alternative solution?

Many thanks for any assistance or advice you are able to offer.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados 2006/2007 Jan 17, 2008

Hi Jeremy,

I don't know whether it's possible to install Trados 2006 over Trados 2007, but I have them installed side by side. So that would be an option.

Jeremy Amos
Jeremy Amos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:47
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 7.1 not SDL Trados 2007 Jan 18, 2008

Hi Margreet,
thanks for your reply, however I don't have SDL Trados 2007, I have Trados 7.1, which is the predecessor to SDL Trados 2006.
I'm starting to realise that probably the answer to my question is a simple 'no', and that I would need to upgrade to the latest version.

el mismo (X)
el mismo (X)

Same problem with Trados 7.5 (Build 756) and Word 2003 SP3 (11.8202.8202) Aug 14, 2009

Any idea about how to troubleshoot/workaround/circumvent this issue?

Thanks,

Héctor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Subsegment contains invalid data" / Trados SDL 2006 CP2 compatible with Trados 7.1?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »