VISTA: Upgrading to SDL Trados 2007 from second hand 2006
Thread poster: Kathrin Wagner
Kathrin Wagner
Kathrin Wagner  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
English to German
Jan 18, 2008

Hi

Questions like this have been discussed in one way or the other but I am still not sure what to do. So this is my problem:
I've got Vista on my laptop and I want to purchase SDL Trados. As Vista does not seem to support previous versions of SDL Trados I think I have to buy SDL Trados 2007 then. On the proz exchange, I was offered to buy a version of SDL Trados 2006 second hand.

1) Do you think I can buy this second hand version 2006 and then buy an update to SD
... See more
Hi

Questions like this have been discussed in one way or the other but I am still not sure what to do. So this is my problem:
I've got Vista on my laptop and I want to purchase SDL Trados. As Vista does not seem to support previous versions of SDL Trados I think I have to buy SDL Trados 2007 then. On the proz exchange, I was offered to buy a version of SDL Trados 2006 second hand.

1) Do you think I can buy this second hand version 2006 and then buy an update to SDL Trados 2007 (even though I've got Vista on my PC)?

2) As MS Office 2007 (which I already bought) seems to slow down the system, has anybody had NO problems running Vista + SDL Trados 2007 + MS Office 2007? Or would you recommend to swop Office 2007 with 2003?

Thank you!!!
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Answers Jan 18, 2008

Kathrin Wagner wrote:

1) Do you think I can buy this second hand version 2006 and then buy an update to SDL Trados 2007 (even though I've got Vista on my PC)?

As far as I know, yes. As long as you receive the complete set of CDs, documentation and license documents, you should be legally eligible to an upgrade, at least in Germany. If you're interested in details, try a Google search for gebrauchtsoftware erschöpfungsgrundsatz urteil.

2) As MS Office 2007 (which I already bought) seems to slow down the system, has anybody had NO problems running Vista + SDL Trados 2007 + MS Office 2007? Or would you recommend to swop Office 2007 with 2003?

Sorry, I've got no experience with Trados or Office 2007 under MS Vista. We're still using Trados 2006/2007 with Windows XP here

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2008-01-18 13:40]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:44
English to French
+ ...
Contact SDL Jan 18, 2008

I once read somewhere on SDL's website that you can transfer a licence to another user. In your case, you would need the assistance of the person who sold you their copy of SDL Trados in order to be able to do this, since that person is officially the licence holder.

I can't tell you where I saw this information - if you contact SDL, they would be able to explain to you how it is done.

All the best!

P.S.: I wouldn't attempt to buy an upgrade before the lice
... See more
I once read somewhere on SDL's website that you can transfer a licence to another user. In your case, you would need the assistance of the person who sold you their copy of SDL Trados in order to be able to do this, since that person is officially the licence holder.

I can't tell you where I saw this information - if you contact SDL, they would be able to explain to you how it is done.

All the best!

P.S.: I wouldn't attempt to buy an upgrade before the licence transfer issue is solved.
Collapse

Kathrin Wagner
Kathrin Wagner  Identity Verified
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments! Jan 21, 2008

I think there's no way around trying (!) to contact SDL.
Thanks for your answers anyway.

Kathrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VISTA: Upgrading to SDL Trados 2007 from second hand 2006

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »