https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/94604-at_wits_end_getting_toolbar_to_show_automatically_in_word_2003.html

At wit's end: getting toolbar to show automatically in Word 2003
Thread poster: Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 18, 2008

Hi.

I have a brand new Vista machine. SDL Trados 2007. Office 2007.

After reading about (and experiencing!) the ridiculously slow speed of Trados in Word 2007, I downgraded to Word 2003, which I used on my previous XP machine.

I CANNOT get the Trados toolbar to show automatically when I open Word now. I copied the Trados8 template into the Startup folder, like normal, but it doesn't open when I open Word. I have to go into Templates & Add-Ons and check
... See more
Hi.

I have a brand new Vista machine. SDL Trados 2007. Office 2007.

After reading about (and experiencing!) the ridiculously slow speed of Trados in Word 2007, I downgraded to Word 2003, which I used on my previous XP machine.

I CANNOT get the Trados toolbar to show automatically when I open Word now. I copied the Trados8 template into the Startup folder, like normal, but it doesn't open when I open Word. I have to go into Templates & Add-Ons and check the Trados8 template, which shows up under Global Templates, to see it show on the screen.

I've tried to modify the normal.dot template, but I get an error that I cannot modify it and save it (with a different name, of course) into the same folder where it resides currently. So I go into Templates & Add-ons, open the Trados template, make sure everything is fine, and save normal.dot onto my desktop. Then I move in into the Startup folder, remove the regular normal.dot file, rename my new one as normal.dot, open Word and ... no Trados toolbar. I have to go back to Templates & Add-ons to get it to show again.

Can anyone help me? This is getting frustrating.

Thanks.
Sandra
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 01:16
German to English
+ ...
Correct folder? Jan 18, 2008

Have you copied the trados8.dot into the correct folder/directory? There are two startup directories in Office 2003.

The correct one is C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

where USER NAME is your Windows user name.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

At wit's end: getting toolbar to show automatically in Word 2003

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »