Trados 5 manual?
Thread poster: Pristine
Pristine
Local time: 22:07
English to German
Jan 19, 2008

Dear colleagues,

An agency wants me to translate a document with Trados 5. They sent me apparently an old demo version of Trados 5 but the manual they sent me is for Trados 7!

Here is what I have done after they sent me the demo version Trados 5:

1) I downloaded it.
2) I opened the Translator's work bench
3) I opened the manual.
4) I clicked on option for term recognition
5) Then my Trados program differs with the manual. My program says MultiTerm5, manual says MultiTerm7 in the pull down menu. Anyway, I selected MultiTerm5.
6) The Trados 7 manual shows now a grey bar
"Select Term Base" that my Trados 5 does not have, I am getting a white bar also described as Termbase but with 7 files, which are: Dict, FF60, Filters, Hlp, Lng, Templates, Win32Preview App. I am having the possibility to save my file but I am not sure where I am saving what as Trados 5 does not correspond in all details with the Trados 7 instructions.

Any advice?

Direct link Reply with quote

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 23:07
English to Spanish
What do you want the Manual for? Jan 20, 2008

Just translate the document they sent you, and that's it! Forget the Manual.

Or is it the Manual what you've got to translate?

Even if you translate the document with Trados 7 and send your client an unclean translation, they will be able to clean it with their Trados 5. If you send them a clean translation, then... What's the problem?

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:07
English to Polish
Try opening termbase manually Jan 20, 2008

Have you received a termbase? Try opening the MTW file first (in MultiTerm 5 in this case) and then open Workbench and go to Term Recognition options again, they should be automatically adjusted.

Pristine
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 5 manual? Jan 21, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Just translate the document they sent you, and that's it! Forget the Manual.

Or is it the Manual what you've got to translate?

Even if you translate the document with Trados 7 and send your client an unclean translation, they will be able to clean it with their Trados 5. If you send them a clean translation, then... What's the problem?

Hi Tradzio,

Thanks for your reply.

They have Trados 7 and sent me Trados 5. I asked myself: If I don't need the manual, why did they send it? And the project manager is in vacation and comes back first in one week.

But I am not sure if I safe the text correctly. It also should help me with term repetitions. What if it does not function because I missed something important?

Pristine

Pristine
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Opening term base Jan 21, 2008

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Have you received a termbase? Try opening the MTW file first (in MultiTerm 5 in this case) and then open Workbench and go to Term Recognition options again, they should be automatically adjusted.

Dear Wojciech,

Thank you too for the reply. They send me a bunch of stuff belonging to Trados but as I wrote, the instructions are for a more recent Trados than the trial thing that they sent me. Something called Termbase was not included.

I was able to get my language pair accepted by the Trados 5 program. But now, it asks me to safe the file.

In what file do you safe it? In a special Trados file? In your regular documents?

And is that all? The you can translate and the TM should work?

Pristine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5 manual?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search