SDL Edit 2007 (Build 7025), is it posssible to see only the green/blue segments?
Thread poster: TRIDIOM

TRIDIOM
Spain
Local time: 11:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 21, 2008

Dear all

I am working with the application SDL Edit 2007 (Build 7025) to PROOFREAD the translated file (those marked in colour blue/green). My client has told me NOT to proofread the orange ones (as they are repetitions I suppose). The thing is that the files I am proofreading are mostly repetitions or 100% matches (must proofread 1.200 of a total of 15.800 all the rest are repetitions). My question is:
Is there a way to only see the segments in blue/green? And in case I made a modification, would the orange ones chaneg even if I was not seeing them?

I hope the question is clear, I have just started with SDLX...

thanks for your help!

Marta

[Edited at 2008-01-21 13:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No, but workaround Jan 22, 2008

Hi Marta,

You can't make 100% matches disappear from your screen, unfortunately. However, you can lock them and have these segments greyed out. This prevents you from acidentally changing one of these segments, and you can more easily ignore them when reading, especially on paper.

To lock segments, choose Edit>Lock>Lock Segments, and then click the check box next to the segment type you want to lock (100% in your case). Somewhere along the line you will be asked to enter a password. This is optional, however, so just ignore the password dialog and click OK. Once you're done with proofing, just unlock the segments again (Edit>Lock>Unlock Segments).

HTH,
Stefan

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but... Jan 22, 2008

Stefan Keller wrote:
You can't make 100% matches disappear from your screen, unfortunately. However, you can lock them and have these segments greyed out. This prevents you from acidentally changing one of these segments, and you can more easily ignore them when reading, especially on paper.

To lock segments, choose Edit>Lock>Lock Segments, and then click the check box next to the segment type you want to lock (100% in your case). Somewhere along the line you will be asked to enter a password. This is optional, however, so just ignore the password dialog and click OK. Once you're done with proofing, just unlock the segments again (Edit>Lock>Unlock Segments).

Hi Marta,

Stefan's solution is the only one I can think of. However, this way repetitions will be locked as well and won't be updated automatically if you change the first occurrence, which means this workflow might not be ideal for your situation.

For future projects, you should ask your client to lock the 100% matches before the file is translated so that repetitions will not be affected by the locking and will update automatically if you change their first occurrence.

Best regards,
Claudia

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Easy "Navigation" Jan 22, 2008

Hi again,

One more thing: You can easily "navigate" through translated segments only (jump from one translated to the next) by choosing Edit>Go To. In The Go To dialog, check the Segment type radio button, click the Translated check box, and click OK. From then on, you can move directly to the next translated segment by pressing F2. This saves you a lot of scrolling.

Regards,
Stefan

TRIDIOM
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!!! Jan 22, 2008

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your ideas and help! My working method has definitely improved and I have learnt a few new things!

Regards

Marta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Edit 2007 (Build 7025), is it posssible to see only the green/blue segments?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search