Is it possible to update automatically an SDLX TM from itd translated files?
Thread poster: TRIDIOM

TRIDIOM
Spain
Local time: 17:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2008

Hi

does anyone know if it is possible to update "automatically" (I mean in just one step) a TM (the typical one in access format) with already translated itd files?

I pretend to do like it used to be in trados, when you cleaned files and marked "update TM".

And just in case one more question:
Is there a way to indicate SDL to ALWAYS remind you to open the TM before you start to work? I know it may sound a bit stupid, but we sometimes forget to add the TM and have to start from scratch (since we still don't know how to do an automatic TM).

Thanks to all in advance!

Marta

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Several options Jan 24, 2008

Hi Marta,

you have several options to update an SDLX TM.

- "On the fly"
Open SDL Edit and choose "Tools>Options". Click the Automation tab. If you activate the "Automatic TM Update" check box, then every segment you confirm (by pressing Enter) while working in SDL Edit will be immediately written into the TM.

- By file
You can save all confirmed segments into your TM by choosing "Translation Memory>Update" from the menu in SDL Edit. Please note that only *confirmed* (blue) segments will be added to the TM. If you want to add 100% Matches as well, you either need to confirm them before (Edit>Confirm/Unconfirm>Confirm 100% Matches) or do the following:

- Batch Update
Open your TM in the Maintain module and choose "TM>Import>SDLX Files & Translation Memories". Complete the Import Wizard (note that some steps are optional). On the second page (Translation Files), you can add as many ITD files you want AND you can select what segment types to be imported. Click the desired check box(es).

As far as opening a TM is concerned, there's no option to have yourself "reminded" to open one. But you can "force" SDL Edit to always open the TM(s) that were used in the previous session. This way, you never have an ITD open without a TM (unless you deleted/renamed/removed it since the last session). In Edit, go to "Tools>Options", click the Translation Memory tab, and select "Open the last TMs at startup". If you have enabled the "Automatic TM Update" as described above, your translations will always be saved to at least *a* TM, but of course, you still need to make sure that it's the *correct* one.

HTH,
Stefan

TRIDIOM
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!! Jan 24, 2008

Lovely, I have tried it all and it works.

furthermore I have discovered that if I open the TM in Maintenance and Importe the files I can also update them!

Great discovery

Marta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to update automatically an SDLX TM from itd translated files?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search