Suzanne Deveson  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:26
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 28, 2008

Hi,

I use TRADOS 2006 Freelance (with Windows XP, Word 2003) and was recently asked for a project for which SDLX is used. From some earlier posts I get the impression that SDLX is somehow part of the SDL TRADOS 2006 package. Could anyone please explain? Does this mean that I should have it somewhere on my PC?

Direct link Reply with quote

Samantha Hoffmann  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
yes indeed... Jan 28, 2008

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, SDLX is part of the SDL Trados 2006 package.

It should be available in Start > Programs > SDL International > SDL Trados 2006 Freelance (> SDLX).

If not, check that you've downloaded all the components of the package (it happened to me with Multiterm).

Hope this helps

Regards,
Samantha

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it's right there Jan 28, 2008

Hi Suzanne,

I'm in the exact same position as you, except that I use SDL Trados 2007, but ever since I had SDL Trados 2006 I remember seeing SDLX there (look for an icon that looks like a golden Saturn).

I never had to learn how to use it before but after being offered a project that required SDLX last week, decided to give it a try. It was a little confusing at first, given that I'm so used to Trados, but after working on this project for about 10 hours (and getting help from the ProZ community), I think I've got the hang of it.

Good luck!

Nora

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not there Jan 28, 2008

Hi Samantha and Nora,

Thanks for your replies! It's not under Start > Programs etc. so I must have not downloaded it at the time. I've been looking for the original email with the details for downloading but I think I must have deleted it or something because I can't find it!

I'm a bit hesitant about starting a new project with a program I don't know anyway, so do you know whether the two are compatible?

[Edited at 2008-01-28 16:14]

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Separate installation Jan 28, 2008

Hi Suzanne,

As far as I remember, in SDL Trados 2006 you needed to install SDLX and Trados separately (in SDL Trados 2007 both are installed at the same time).

There was just one download file (i.e. the one you already have if you haven't deleted it after you installed Trados) but two installation routines, one per programm. If you still have the download file, try to run it again and look for an option to install SDLX.

The two programs are compatible but depending on what files you want to translate in which program some intermediary preparation steps might be necessary, and you might need both programs to complete these steps.

However, SDLX really is a very user-friendly tool, and it shouldn't take you long to learn to use it. Just give it a try!

Best regards,
Claudia

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - I'll give it a try! Jan 28, 2008

Thanks Claudia - I'll give it a try!

Looking through my emails from SDL I found an invitation to download cumulative patch 2 (which I don't think I did at the time). I've just downloaded it and was wondering whether it's a good idea to install that first (I suppose it's just the updated version of TRADOS 2006?). Then I'll try and run it again for SDLX.

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Worth a try Jan 28, 2008

Hi again Suzanne,

I think it's definitely worth a try. Whatever we can do to expand our skills is time well spent. The learning curve wasn't too bad for me, even though I didn't have the Help files because the help menu won't work under Vista.

It would have been great to have had a beginner's guide, but with the program documentation and help from fellow ProZ users, I was able to get my first project done in a reasonable time, and now I'm up to my usual Trados productivity.

I would be more than happy to help you figure out the initial steps, as I've just been though that myself over the past two days.

: )

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guide to SDL Edit and Translating ITD files Jan 29, 2008

Thanks, Nora!

I've installed SDLX and ran the tutorial. It looks ok from that, but it's usually when you actually start using these programmes that you run into difficulties, so it would be great if I can check things with you! By the way, the client has sent me a guide to SDL Edit and Translating ITD files. Would you like me to forward it to you or do you have sufficient documentation now?

Ignore that last question, Nora, I just read a thread you posted earlier in which you mention that you have that guide already! But if anyone else reading this is interested I can forward it to them.

I suppose the format painting is going to be the biggest challenge and it would be great if I could ask you about it if I run into difficulties!

[Edited at 2008-01-29 10:58]

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Format painting Jan 29, 2008

Hi Suzanne,

I'll be happy to help from a beginner's perspective.

You've probably seen this thread, where I got great help from fellow ProZ users on format painting:

http://www.proz.com/topic/95357

Please email me directly if you'd like.

: )

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Jan 29, 2008

Would be great if I could email you directly with any questions, Nora, thanks!

Kind regards,

Suzanne

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX licence Jan 31, 2008

Hi again,

I have a question about the SDLX licence. (Nora has SDL 2007 so couldn't help me there). I'm hoping someone else may know the answer.

Just to reiterate: I have been using SDL Trados 2006 and have only recently installed SDLX which I had indeed downloaded as part of the SDL 2006 Freelance package.

I've installed SDLX and have been familiarising myself with the programme, but when I tried to use it I received a message that the trial version would end somewhere in February, so presumably I haven't activated my lincence. I went to my account on the SDL website and it said I had a softkey licence but not a flexible software licence, which according to the registration under tools is what I need for SDLX.

Can anyone help?

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Might refer only to the parts of the Professional version Feb 1, 2008

Hi Suzanne,

Does the message you receive say something like 'The trial functionality of this software will expire on xxx'? If it does, this might refer only to those parts of SDLX that are only available in the Professional version.

When you install SDLX for the first time you get a fully functional Professional version that you can use for 30 days. If you have only purchased a Freelance licence, those modules that are only available in the Professional version (Apply, Analyze and shared TM access) will stop functioning after these 30 days. AFAIK there was a rather confusing message regarding this in SDLX 2006.

You can check in the SDLX Switchboard by clicking Help > About whether the product is correctly licensed. If it is, some information regarding you licence should be displayed there (I cannot really recall what it says and I have 2007 now, which is different, but it should be rather clear).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Claudia

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right - it probably does! Feb 1, 2008

Thanks, Claudia - that's a great help!

I think that's exactly the message I received and I checked under Help > About and it says under Licence: TWB : SDLX 2006 Standard, so I suppose I'm ok then!

Thank you so much for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX part of TRADOS 2006 Freelance?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search