Does SDLX require a separate license activation from Trados?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:22
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2008

While attempting to analyze a file in SDLX, I get a message saying the analysis has been interrupted.

A look at the log file tells me that SDLX is running in demo mode and I need to activate the license.

I activated the license for SDL Trados 2007 long ago, but had never used SDLX until now.

Activation instructions tell me to use a wizard, which I can't find or a menu option under the Help menu, which isn't there, probably because all help files for SDLX ar
... See more
While attempting to analyze a file in SDLX, I get a message saying the analysis has been interrupted.

A look at the log file tells me that SDLX is running in demo mode and I need to activate the license.

I activated the license for SDL Trados 2007 long ago, but had never used SDLX until now.

Activation instructions tell me to use a wizard, which I can't find or a menu option under the Help menu, which isn't there, probably because all help files for SDLX are disabled under Vista.

Other than this, the program works fine, as far as I can tell (with my very limited experience in SDLX).

Does anyone know if I really need a separate license activation for SDLX?

Thanks!

Nora
Collapse

paterneruski (X)
paterneruski (X)
Spain
Local time: 17:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which version? Jan 28, 2008

Hi Nora,
I believe that, depending of which version of SDL Trados you use, you cannot perform analysis.

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Only available in the Professional version Jan 28, 2008

Lorena Alcaraz wrote:

Hi Nora,
I believe that, depending of which version of SDL Trados you use, you cannot perform analysis.

Hi Nora,

Lorena is correct, the Analyse and Apply functions are only available in the Professional version of SDLX. I assume you have the Freelance version, which means you will not be able to use them.

HTH

Best regards,
Claudia

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yep, freelance version Jan 28, 2008

Yes, I have the freelance version, so it sounds like that's it.

That's ok anyway, since I discovered a nice little feature in SDL Edit that gave me the info I needed: View-Statistics.

Thanks!

Nora

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Beware Jan 29, 2008

Hi,

just a quick note to warn you: the statistics tool only provides information on the translation process in the file. It does not take repetitions into account. To make it clearer: you won't be able to use it for comparison with an analysis log sent by a client, because the wordcounts will always be higher.
However, that is one tool that I find great in SDLX, because it allows you to track your progress.

Cheers,

Annelise

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point. Another question: time stamps? Jan 29, 2008

Hi Annelise,

That's exactly what I wanted to do, to keep track of my progress, so the limited info it provides was enough.

I loved that it was so quick, no need to run an analysis, something that I'm doing constantly in Trados to keep track of how much untranslated text I still have. Having said that, it would be nice to see all the numbers at a glance, rather than having to check/uncheck boxes.

By the way, something I like about Trados is that it shows yo
... See more
Hi Annelise,

That's exactly what I wanted to do, to keep track of my progress, so the limited info it provides was enough.

I loved that it was so quick, no need to run an analysis, something that I'm doing constantly in Trados to keep track of how much untranslated text I still have. Having said that, it would be nice to see all the numbers at a glance, rather than having to check/uncheck boxes.

By the way, something I like about Trados is that it shows you time information about the translation units, so you can see when a TU was created or modified. Is there a way to see this info in SDLX? I tried but couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Nora
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does SDLX require a separate license activation from Trados?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »