Can someone please have a look at a Word file for me?
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 29, 2008

I need to translate 2,000 words of technical documentation by tomorrow. I have been working successfully with Word 2003 and Trados 6.5 for several years - until it comes to this particular file.

When I open the file in Word, it looks fine. However, whenever I process it with Trados, the formatting changes entirely - from lowercase to caps and all spaces are replaced by italic squares. The text itself becomes illegible. I have never seen this in over ten years of translating.
<
... See more
I need to translate 2,000 words of technical documentation by tomorrow. I have been working successfully with Word 2003 and Trados 6.5 for several years - until it comes to this particular file.

When I open the file in Word, it looks fine. However, whenever I process it with Trados, the formatting changes entirely - from lowercase to caps and all spaces are replaced by italic squares. The text itself becomes illegible. I have never seen this in over ten years of translating.

If I look at Word's Tools > Options > Compatibility tab page, it automatically suggests settings for Microsoft Word 6/95. Changing them back to my Word 2003 current version doesn't help.

I'm sure there will be some more technical information that you require, but if someone would agree to me sending them the file and having a look at what is wrong with it, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Joanne
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:09
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TagEditor Jan 29, 2008

Dear Joanne,

have you tried to open and translate it in TagEditor? This usually is much safer...

Kind regards,
Erik

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 6.5 Jan 29, 2008

Unfortunately that doesn't work with Trados 6.5 - or at least, on my system, I get the error message that the format is not recognised.

Someone has very kindly offered to look at the file for me...

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:09
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
TRY RTF! Jan 30, 2008

Joanne Parker wrote:

Unfortunately that doesn't work with Trados 6.5 - or at least, on my system, I get the error message that the format is not recognised.

Someone has very kindly offered to look at the file for me...

A good solution is always!

Save your file as RTF.

Open this RTF, run your Trados. When you are done and cleaned the file.

Save it as Word file again. Chekc for layout.
And send it to client.
Everybody is happy

Good luck!

Nizam Yigit

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:09
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Txt Jan 30, 2008

Copy and paste the text in a notepad. Open it with Word and translate it. After doing that, go to Workbench and use the "translation" opcion, select your file, and translate it.

If you want me to (try to) open the file, contact me via my profile.

Kind regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2008-01-30 13:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can someone please have a look at a Word file for me?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »