Multiterm Convert: problem with converting a large Excel file
Thread poster: Lena Grainger

Lena Grainger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2008

I am a translator of Russian and Ukrainian (Russian native speaker). I am writing this in English in the hopes of getting a bigger audience of Multiterm users.

After installing Trados and Multiterm 7, I decidd to create one large termbase, which I thought was going to be more convenient than having a lot of small termbases, so I pooled all my existing termbase (in Excel format) into one Excel spreadsheet, which now has around 2500 entries. When I try to convert it with Mulitern convert, it converts first 1300 (roughly) entries and then stops.

The names of columns in the spreadsheet and rules of conversion are as follows:
English (index field – English)
Ukranian (index field – Ukrainian)
Russian (index field – Russian)
Subtopic (descriptive field – text)
Source (descriptive field – text)
Example (descriptive field – text)
Reasoning (descriptive field – text)
Comment (descriptive field – text)
Termbase (descriptive field – text)

All columns are aligned left.

The “converting entries” stage goes OK for all 2500 entries – the problem only occurs when the termbase is already created, at "importing entries" stage.

Not sure what else is releavant.

Any help would be appreciated - if you need to see any log files or the Excel file in question I will send them to you (but no criticism of the actual translation please!)

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:52
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"Any help would be appreciated..." Jan 29, 2008

i. see a video "Use Case for MultiTerm Convert" on my profile

ii. send me the ExCel file, if #1 does not help

Regards

Vito

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:52
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try playing with some options Jan 29, 2008

When you import the converted Excel sheet, don't select the "Export is 100% compatible..." option, but for example try to select "Allow overcomplete entries" and see, if that helps.
I assume, you're using the default import defintion, am I right?
Are the language columns in your Excel file complete, or does the first one contain some missing entries? This might be also a reason for such behaviour.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm Convert: problem with converting a large Excel file

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search