Thread poster: Riccardo Schiaffino

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:17
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 30, 2008

Yesterday I wrote a post on my blog About Translation to complain about Trados fuzzy matching algorithms.

My complaint was that Trados gives more weight to such irrelevant characteristics as dashes and upper or lower case than to the actual words of the string ("- LEAD DESIGN -" was matched to "- LEAD PROGRAMMER -" but not to "Lead Design").

Among the comments I received there was one from an SDL marketing representative, who said to enter suggestions and ideas in a portal they created to gather the votes of other users. The address of this portal is http://ideas.sdltrados.com.

If true, that is, if they are actually going to act on their user's opinions, this would be a step in the right direction.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:17
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Indeed - just check this Jan 30, 2008

some of the ideas presented there have been already implemented.
So instead of complaining let us go there and do something useful

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Weighting capitalization Jan 30, 2008

I agree that more weight should be given to the actual words, regardless of capitalization. However, within matches for those words, capitalization should still be weighted.

I like the fact that if you run a concordance search for "In other words" (with a capital I) it gives preference to sentences that start with that phrase, and shows them before those with that phrase in the middle of the sentence. This is very useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voting for Trados features

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search