Ulrike Zeyse
Ulrike Zeyse  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:23
English to German
+ ...
Jan 31, 2008

Good morning,
A few days ago I installed SDL Trados Service Pack 2. However, this morning when I tried to open TagEditor, I always got the Windows message: TagEditor has encountered a problem and needs to close. I tried several times but always the same message. BEfore the update it was working fine. I wonder if this problem is related to the installation of SP2.
Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Ulrike

Christiane Rose (X)
Christiane Rose (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:23
English to German
+ ...
Same problem here Jan 31, 2008

Hi Ulrike,

The same happens to me, but only if I try to open TagEditor by double clicking on the file I want to work on. If I open the TM first, then TagEditor and then the file, everything works - more or less - fine.

HTH a little bit,

Christiane

Ben Hickman
Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:23
Dutch to English
Bugs in Trados TagEditor 8.2.0.835 (SP2) Feb 8, 2008

Hello everyone,

SDL must have run up against an internal deadline for the SDL Trados SP2 release, because they don't seem to have tested it very well. This release seems to have introduced a number of new bugs. Or at least it has resulted in some problems on my system (Windows XP SP2, Microsoft Office 2003).

One of the complaints this release was designed to address was the problem of "incomplete scrolling" (prior to the release of SP2, SDL's Paul Filkin said the follow
... See more
Hello everyone,

SDL must have run up against an internal deadline for the SDL Trados SP2 release, because they don't seem to have tested it very well. This release seems to have introduced a number of new bugs. Or at least it has resulted in some problems on my system (Windows XP SP2, Microsoft Office 2003).

One of the complaints this release was designed to address was the problem of "incomplete scrolling" (prior to the release of SP2, SDL's Paul Filkin said the following on ideas.sdltrados.com: "This is a known bug and will be fixed for 2008"). Although the TagEditor now "tries" to center the open segment in the window, it often fails to do so properly. I have observed two distinct failure modes:

1. It is no longer possible to select text in the source or target segments by the double-click or click-and-drag methods. Closing the segment (which is now centered in the window) and opening it again corrects the problem.
2. Additional yellow (target segment) bars appear under the segment, in which all or a portion of the target text is duplicated. The cursor appears in one of these bars, where typing is possible, but click-and-drag actions select text in one of the other bars. In some cases closing the segment then causes TagEditor to terminate immediately without any error message.

It seems clear that the new "scrolling" algorithm is not properly keeping track of the horizontal position of the various elements in the window.

Some problems also seem to have developed in relation to the various spelling checkers.
1. Although it is rather slow, the WinterTree Spelling Checker works fine, but the Suggestions list contains only garbage characters.
2. The Word Spelling Checker does not respond. It does nothing but consume enormous amounts of processor time until the process is terminated manually (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
3. When it's working, the Microsoft Word Spelling Checker 2.0 is very fast. Unfortunately it regularly causes the TagEditor to "hang". Then the only solution is to terminate the process manually.

If anyone has any additional information about the problems listed above, I would appreciate hearing it. Have others experienced these problems? Have the problems been acknowledged by SDL? Are there known solutions or work-arounds?

[Edited at 2008-02-08 15:38]
Collapse

WK Automotive
WK Automotive
Netherlands
Dutch to Italian
+ ...
Bugs in SP2 indeed Feb 12, 2008

We encounter the same problems with scrolling/selecting and the spelling checker.
I couldn't find a particular cause, crashes seem to happen at rondom.

When I informed SDL last week, they answered that no errors had been reported...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Service Pack 2, Problems with TagEditor

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »