Tag Editor 8.2.0.835 crashes when clicking on the Help button
Thread poster: Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch
Sonya Gerisch  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:22
German to English
Feb 1, 2008

I installed SDL Trados 2007 ~2 weeks ago (I also just installed the SP2) and have encountered the following problem with Tag Editor.

I noticed that in Tag Editor the "Find" interface has changed from the previous version and now includes a "Help" button, which is located right underneath the "Cancel" button. That is already a problem in itself.

But the real problem is that when I accidently click the "Help" button, Tag Editor crashes and I have to restart it.
... See more
I installed SDL Trados 2007 ~2 weeks ago (I also just installed the SP2) and have encountered the following problem with Tag Editor.

I noticed that in Tag Editor the "Find" interface has changed from the previous version and now includes a "Help" button, which is located right underneath the "Cancel" button. That is already a problem in itself.

But the real problem is that when I accidently click the "Help" button, Tag Editor crashes and I have to restart it.

I am wondering if others have encoutered the same problem or can recreate the error?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sonya
Collapse

Sonya Gerisch
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Your help is needed. Feb 3, 2008

So far, nobody seems to have an answer to the problem I encouter with Tag Editor.

My question now is, can at least someone who has the same Trados/Tag Editor version as me, try to recreate the problem.
That way I can at least see if it only happens on my PC, or if it is truly a Trados bug. If it is a bug it needs to be fixed.

You help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more specific information let me know.

Thank you,
Sonya

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:22
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No problems whatsoever Feb 3, 2008

Just tested that - I can click the help everywhere in Tageditor. Both in German (the language I use usually) or in English.

Try to register the software from SDL Trados program group - there is a program called "* register *" . Maybe this helps.

Regards
Jerzy

Sonya Gerisch
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Feb 3, 2008

Not to beat a dead horse, but can you specifically click the help button from the "find" box in TagEditor?
I only have the problem from there.
I have no problem with the help menu anywhere else.

It's not that I even need the help from the find menu. I have no idea why they put it in there. I think it is a mistake, because it doesn't bring up a help menu specifically for "Find"; it is the general help menu, which most people would simply get to the normal way.
The p
... See more
Not to beat a dead horse, but can you specifically click the help button from the "find" box in TagEditor?
I only have the problem from there.
I have no problem with the help menu anywhere else.

It's not that I even need the help from the find menu. I have no idea why they put it in there. I think it is a mistake, because it doesn't bring up a help menu specifically for "Find"; it is the general help menu, which most people would simply get to the normal way.
The problem is that the button was not there before, so when I try to click on "Cancel" to get out of the Find menu and I accidently click "Help" instead (one is right above the other), that is when it crashes.

If you use the "Find" option numerous times while translating like most of us do, this gets to be a bit irritating if you do it over and over again.

Thanks again!

[Edited at 2008-02-03 23:00]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Of cours I did Feb 3, 2008

I tried the help button from the find and from the search&replace menu - both in German and English, and both work just fine.

Jerzy

Sonya Gerisch
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for testing Feb 3, 2008

Hi Jerzy

Thanks for testing this out. I guess it is an isolated problem then. I just have to be careful not to accidentally click on the Help button when I try to cancel out of the Find dialog menu.

Also, I do not completely understand what you mean with registering. My copy of Trados is registered and I have a licence number. Is that what you mean, or is there another type of registration that I need?

Thanks,
Sonya

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Registering the software in your Windows registry Feb 3, 2008

and not activating it with SDL.
Please just read what I wrote:
Try to register the software from SDL Trados program group - there is a program called "* register *" .

Would you just look in the program group SDL International - SDL Trados - Trados, you would find a program called "Register SDL Trados 2007" (or "...Freelance", depends on your version).
Just let it run.
Try than again. If you still have problems, I would suggest contacting SDL.

Best regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2008-02-03 21:58]

Sonya Gerisch
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
That worked!! Feb 3, 2008

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with out with this Jerzy.

I didn't understand what you wrote with "SDL Trados program group"; I thought that was something online at their website.

I now realize you meant go to "All programs" and then to the Trados group of program on my PC and run the "Register" program.

That worked. I no longer have this very annoying problem.
Thank you so much again for your patience with this.

Sincerely,... See more
Thanks so much for taking the time to help with out with this Jerzy.

I didn't understand what you wrote with "SDL Trados program group"; I thought that was something online at their website.

I now realize you meant go to "All programs" and then to the Trados group of program on my PC and run the "Register" program.

That worked. I no longer have this very annoying problem.
Thank you so much again for your patience with this.

Sincerely,
Sonya
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I thought it was so obvious Feb 3, 2008

This is quite often my poblem - as I'm mechanical engineer, my way of thinking seems to be quite surprising to many other people and I tend to forget that.
Forgive me, I should have been more clear when writing, I shall try to remember that for the future.

Glad it worked.
Best regards
Jerzy

Sonya Gerisch
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No problem Feb 4, 2008

[Quote: as I'm mechanical engineer, my way of thinking seems to be quite surprising to many other people and I tend to forget that.]

I am very familiary with this "problem" as my husband of 11 years is also a mechanical engineer:)
It's really difficult sometimes when something is so clear to you and it should be obvious to others as well.

The main thing is that it is fixed now until the next thing.

Thanks again,
Sonya

[Edite
... See more
[Quote: as I'm mechanical engineer, my way of thinking seems to be quite surprising to many other people and I tend to forget that.]

I am very familiary with this "problem" as my husband of 11 years is also a mechanical engineer:)
It's really difficult sometimes when something is so clear to you and it should be obvious to others as well.

The main thing is that it is fixed now until the next thing.

Thanks again,
Sonya

[Edited at 2008-02-04 12:47]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor 8.2.0.835 crashes when clicking on the Help button

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »