Thread poster: Suzanne Smart

Suzanne Smart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:21
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2008

Hi
I'm trying to clean up a file that I translated with Workbench in Word.
Whenever I press cleanup I get the following error message:
TW4Win.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Workbench then closes. I know similar messages have been posted on this forum but I cannot find a solution in them that works for me.
I am using Windows XP with SDL Trados 7.
I can clean it up in word but another translator is editing it and it comes up as read only if I clean it this way. This means that the other translator is unable to make changes.
Can anybpdy help me please?
Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:21
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tried to save Word as RTF and then attemt to cleanup again? Feb 7, 2008

Quite often a corrupted Word file is the cause for that.
You can still cleanup in Word - make changes as necessary and than save the file as two copies - one for delivery and cleanup in Word and another one for the Workbench. In fact this is what we always do - delivery files are never cleaned in the Workbench. Only their copies just for the purpose of actualizing the TM.

Regards
Jerzy

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I clean up the copy? Feb 7, 2008

Hi Jerzy,
Thanks so much for your prompt reply. The file is already an rtf so that is not the solution.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If I create 2 copies and clean up one in word that's fine but you're suggesting I clean up the copy in Workbench?? Surely I will just have the same problem? I'm sorry to take up your time, could you explain again please as I don't think I have understood!
Sorry!

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution! Feb 7, 2008

Hello,
Thanks again Jerzy for your help but I have found a solution!
I looked on an IT forum which said to uninstall the google toolbar from the programs list. I didn't even know I had google toolbar but I went to control panel/ add remove programs and sure enough it was there. I uninstalled it, restarted my computer and now I can clean up with no problem!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clean up causing workbench to crash

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search