William Kratzer Jr.
William Kratzer Jr.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
Member (2002)
Czech to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2008

When I attempt to open the program synergy.exe, I get an error message that the application has failed to initialize and then the program locks up. The only way to close the program is through the task manager and end the process synergy.exe

I get the following Trados error:

SDLTradosSynergy time="2/7/2008 5:34:52 PM">
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
-
System.NullRe
... See more
When I attempt to open the program synergy.exe, I get an error message that the application has failed to initialize and then the program locks up. The only way to close the program is through the task manager and end the process synergy.exe

I get the following Trados error:

SDLTradosSynergy time="2/7/2008 5:34:52 PM">
-
System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089

I am using SDL TRADOS 2007 SP2. I have tried to go back to sp1, but now it does not recognize that Microsoft net framework 2.0 is even installed.

Can anybody help me with this?
Collapse

Yvonne Gerstheimer (X)
Yvonne Gerstheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:56
Japanese to German
+ ...
Had the same problem Feb 8, 2008

Hi William,

I had the same problem (but with SP1, when I deinstalled and reinstalled Multiterm) and the same error message, but I got help from the SDL support. It took a while to figure it out, but in the end it worked out for me.

First step:
You definitely need to have a running NET Framework 2.0. Without this program Synergy doesn't work. Try to deinstall NET Framework and reinstall it. If Synergy is still not running after you installed NET Framework 2.0, tr
... See more
Hi William,

I had the same problem (but with SP1, when I deinstalled and reinstalled Multiterm) and the same error message, but I got help from the SDL support. It took a while to figure it out, but in the end it worked out for me.

First step:
You definitely need to have a running NET Framework 2.0. Without this program Synergy doesn't work. Try to deinstall NET Framework and reinstall it. If Synergy is still not running after you installed NET Framework 2.0, try the following:

Go via the Start Menu to Documents/Administrator/SDL Trados/Local. There should be a file named server.xml. In my case this file was corrupt and I had to delete that file. When I started Synergy then the program created a new server.xml-file in the local-folder. Since then Synergy is running fine for me.

Hope that helps!

Yvonne
Collapse

William Kratzer Jr.
William Kratzer Jr.  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
YOU WERE RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!! Feb 8, 2008

Hello Yvonne,

Thank you so much for your post, you were exactly right about the deletion of the server.xml file. I had previously completely uninstalled all of the net.framework version, which of course caused problems with other applications. So I started with version 2.0 and updaed to NET.FRAMEWORK 2.0sp1. Same problem after the install. Finally deleted the file and Bingo!!! worked like a charm.

Just so you know. I paid 149 USD for a service agreement level 2, whic
... See more
Hello Yvonne,

Thank you so much for your post, you were exactly right about the deletion of the server.xml file. I had previously completely uninstalled all of the net.framework version, which of course caused problems with other applications. So I started with version 2.0 and updaed to NET.FRAMEWORK 2.0sp1. Same problem after the install. Finally deleted the file and Bingo!!! worked like a charm.

Just so you know. I paid 149 USD for a service agreement level 2, which gaurantees a 3 hours response for critical problems, and so far I have not heard a word from SDL Support. I think I shold have sent you the money, you were better and faster than support. Thanks a million

Bill
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Had the same problem Feb 8, 2008

Hi there,
had the same problem with Synergy and resolved it exactly the same way.

As for SDL support, how typical of them!

BTW, I've just started tinkering with Across. It's quite complicated but:
- it's free for freelancers
- offers far more features than Trados
- doesn't have stability problems with DTP formats
- offers free technical support

Seems like time for making a change...

Yvonne Gerstheimer (X)
Yvonne Gerstheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Glad this helped :) Feb 9, 2008

Hi William,

I'm really glad that helped! Your problem just sounded so familiar to me...

I had more luck with the SDL support, although I have no service agreement, but that problem occured maybe a week after I purchased SDL 2007 Freelance SP1 and right after I installed Multiterm, so they helped me out. They answered right away, but it took about 2 weeks to figure out the problem. It seems that Synergy is a bit sensitive when it comes to upgrades and installations... A
... See more
Hi William,

I'm really glad that helped! Your problem just sounded so familiar to me...

I had more luck with the SDL support, although I have no service agreement, but that problem occured maybe a week after I purchased SDL 2007 Freelance SP1 and right after I installed Multiterm, so they helped me out. They answered right away, but it took about 2 weeks to figure out the problem. It seems that Synergy is a bit sensitive when it comes to upgrades and installations... Anyways, I accept payments via moneybookers and paypal... Nah, just kidding, of course

Have a great weekend!
Yvonne
Collapse

Serhiy
Serhiy
Local time: 23:56
English to Russian
+ ...
danke Apr 13, 2009

Yvone,
Thank you. It worked great. Had the same problem, tried to resolve it by restoring system to a previous date, didn't help. Your solution worked at once. Thanks again.
Serhiy Kanyuka
Ukraine

Kristīne Biezā
Kristīne Biezā
Latvia
Local time: 23:56
Estonian to Latvian
Just adding thanks to Yvonne Jun 2, 2009

Thank you, I also had the same proble and same solution!

Thank you!!!!!!

Claire Culliford
Claire Culliford  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yvonne you're a life-saver! Jul 21, 2009

I know this is coming a long time after the original discussion, but I've been fortunate enough not to have this problem before now. Anyway, on a day when I could really have done without it, SDL Trados has decided to start playing up and your fix has allowed me to continue working without the usual hours spent trying to resolve technical issues.

I'm indebted - thank you!

Claire

Steve Poynter
Steve Poynter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Many thanks Yvonne! Oct 30, 2009

I've also had the same problem and been able to fix it.
I'm running Trados on Windows 7 and the path is slightly different:

Libraries>Documents>SDL Trados>Projects>Local

This is where you'll find the server.xml file that needs to be deleted.
I deleted this and everything seems fine now (fingers crossed...)

Many thanks Yvonne!

LenkaH
LenkaH
English to Czech
+ ...
Many thanks, Yvonne Jun 24, 2010

I am very grateful for your response. My Trados 2007 did the same thing overnight without me doing to it anything at all .-)
And your solution cured the programme and so I can continue working. Great help indeed.
Lenka

ElenaKilina (X)
ElenaKilina (X)
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Multiterm extract woudn't open from SDL Synergy window: Object reference not set to an instance of a Dec 8, 2010

Hello everyone,

I am able to open Trados Synergy 2007, however it's Multitran terminology options (extract, Open new etc.) on the right hand side that all produce the same error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I've got Windows professional 7, 64 bit. Uninstalled Microsoft New Framework - I had Framework client 4. Tried installing Net Framework 2, Windows said it won't inslall this, as it is already supplied as a part of Microsoft package.
<
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am able to open Trados Synergy 2007, however it's Multitran terminology options (extract, Open new etc.) on the right hand side that all produce the same error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I've got Windows professional 7, 64 bit. Uninstalled Microsoft New Framework - I had Framework client 4. Tried installing Net Framework 2, Windows said it won't inslall this, as it is already supplied as a part of Microsoft package.

So installed Net Framework client 4 again through Updates center; tried deleting the server.xml file countless times... Still not result. Very disappointed considering how expensive Multiterm extract License is....

Incidentally SDl phrasefinder does not work either.. As soon as the analysis begins, it says
'SDL phrase finder encountered an unknown problem that prevented it from processing ....-doc name -... The analysis has been aborted".

Bought Multitern extract with Phrasefinder over a week ago, and still struggling, as neither of them works...

I would be really greatful, if anyone knows a way around these issues.

Thank you,
Elena

[Edited at 2010-12-08 05:13 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Might be quite logical Dec 8, 2010

Hello Elena,
if you use MultiTerm 2009 along with SDL Trados Synergy 2007, then this error message is quite logical. Synergy is linked to MultiTerm 2007 and if only MultiTerm 2009 is installed on your computer, Synergy tries to call up a non-existing object.

Try to run MultiTerm applications simply with their corresponding EXE files. That should be working.

Christina Kjaergaard
Christina Kjaergaard  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Thanks a million - Trados now runs perfectly again! Feb 2, 2011

Steve Poynter wrote:

I've also had the same problem and been able to fix it.
I'm running Trados on Windows 7 and the path is slightly different:

Libraries>Documents>SDL Trados>Projects>Local

This is where you'll find the server.xml file that needs to be deleted.
I deleted this and everything seems fine now (fingers crossed...)

Many thanks Yvonne!

Anna Marta Chelicka-Bernardo
Anna Marta Chelicka-Bernardo  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Polish
+ ...
Grazie Yvonne!!! Feb 6, 2011

I had the same problem and your suggestions worked also for me!!!

Your explanation couldn't have been simplier.

Thank you very much, Yvonne!!!
Anna

And thank you, Proz!!!

Lucienne Parsons
Lucienne Parsons
English to French
+ ...
So Grateful Jan 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your suggestion, it worked beautifully. I had struggled for 2 days, and I was thinking I would have to give up my job as a translator,... SDL support has not been helpful over the years, so I stopped paying the fee this year.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL TRADOS 2007 "Failed to initialize application"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »