SDLX practicalities -
Thread poster: Roland Nienerza

Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 03:18
English to German
+ ...
Feb 13, 2008

Having managed, after 6 hours hard labour, to open a ample 42 k Excel file in SDLX it appears that SDLX shows all kinds of formatting or layout information like

t2QDEOqb6fw1
e1QDq)sb6Xp6
z3QDX4tb6jf7
S0QD5npb6XU0
E0QDuNtb6bi9
QxT9qGOr6HBK
81QDOnpb61W0
x1QDSStb6zm9
k0QDnItb65Z9
u2QD8apb6HS0
P1QD28tb6Hn7
iCXJiOdA590k
3llprVTk5fX5

These are of course identical in source and target - and their first batch [their might be more in the offing] runs from segment 2 to segment 243.

Am I right to apprehend that in SDLX one has to accept them all individually or are there the options

a - to accept them with some kind of highlighting and clicking them once for all

b - of leaving them untouched a they are and just continue with segment 244?

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Something must be wrong Feb 13, 2008

Usually you see only the editable content, headers and numbers, and the conversion is fast compared to Trados. Did you use the project wizard?

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Heinrich - Feb 13, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Usually you see only the editable content, headers and numbers, and the conversion is fast compared to Trados. Did you use the project wizard?

I checked again and found that these terms are related to the Webdesign - as the file is about that. They occur like that in that lengthy Excel file. And are only to be confirmed - or left untouched. And that was essentially the question. Whether I have to confirm and change segments to turquoise or might leave these segment unchanged and in white - and if the first, whether one could accept them in a bundle - which, I rather think will not be possible.

Your mention of "conversion fast compared to Trados" is wholly incomprehensible to me. - And all I used so far of SDLX, in about 20 months, was Edit, Spell Check and Create Translation. - Functions like Project Wizard, Maintain, QA etc. I never used.

I wished to get an Analysis yesterday for assessing the amount of repetitions - and that led to the creation of new Excel, SpellCheck and other files in the relevant folder, none of which opening and all block the whole SDLX application to the point that I had to restart the machine.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No Analyse-tool in SDLX Freelance Feb 13, 2008

The Analyse-function is only available in the pro-version.
My experience with excel in SDLX is limited, usually I copy the content to Word and use Wordfast. But you should try to start every new project with the project wizard, which will lead to the proper conditions. In Trados there is an analyse function in WB, but with excel- files it can take ages to open one, at least in 2006-version.
Maybe your file is escpecially complicated. But if you have loaded the excel file straight from editor without the wizard the problem may be there.
Regards
Heinrich

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interesting additional points Feb 13, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The Analyse-function is only available in the pro-version.
My experience with excel in SDLX is limited, usually I copy the content to Word and use Wordfast. But you should try to start every new project with the project wizard, which will lead to the proper conditions. In Trados there is an analyse function in WB, but with excel- files it can take ages to open one, at least in 2006-version.
Maybe your file is especially complicated. But if you have loaded the excel file straight from editor without the wizard the problem may be there.

As a matter of fact, the file was probably not too complicated - just long, and I might have thought that the tool had stalled already, when in really it still struggled to cope. The gibberish at the beginning, as I had found out in between, were not formatting things but part of the body of that .xls file. - Unfortunately you still did not say anything yet about the possibility or not to just skip such things, which have to remain unchanged anyhow. -

I remember vaguely to have read in the Yahoo SDLX group, that Freelance has no Analyse functionality. But they have it on the start menu for Freelance too - and they shouldn't.

I had got yesterday the tip here in the forum, that for analysing in WB it would be good to copy into WORD and save as .rtf - and this really worked well.

What you say about copying Excel to WORD interests me too. - I read all the time in the Yahoo group about such kind of conversions - normally without understanding much about it. Would you suggest that I could translate the converted .rtf file in TagEditor - and, after cleaning, save it back to Excel?

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Select and copy Feb 13, 2008

Yes, you select the part of the spreadsheet that has to be translated, press cntrl+C, open a new Word-file, press contrl+v and save the file as doc. (Rtf is more bulky).
After translation you do the opposite. But often I use Openoffice calculator instead of Excel, because it is more compatible with Word than Microsoft Excel (no problem with extra line-breaks).

I do not know about your strange code-fragments. In SDLX editor they should be the same at both sides and I would not touch them.
Just translate a couple of sentences and create translation. If your target file is ok, there shouldn't be any problem further down the road. Except format painting, that's another issue.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Heinrich - Feb 13, 2008

for all the useful advice.

Roland

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX practicalities -

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search