Workbench and Word 2007 extremely slow, under Windows Vista
Thread poster: Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers
Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers
Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 14, 2008

For the past two months I have struggled with Windows Vista, Word 2007 and SDL Translators Workbench (Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 8.0 Freelance). The translation process is so slow, that after pressing Set/Close Open/Get I have ample time to go and get a cup of coffee before the next sentence is opened. Pressing Translate to Fuzzy gives me time to go to the supermarket and buy coffee.
Does anyone else have the same problem? Has anyone found a solution for it yet?
I cannot f
... See more
For the past two months I have struggled with Windows Vista, Word 2007 and SDL Translators Workbench (Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 8.0 Freelance). The translation process is so slow, that after pressing Set/Close Open/Get I have ample time to go and get a cup of coffee before the next sentence is opened. Pressing Translate to Fuzzy gives me time to go to the supermarket and buy coffee.
Does anyone else have the same problem? Has anyone found a solution for it yet?
I cannot find the problem on the internet, so reactions from ProzCom members are more than welcome.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:00
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Feb 14, 2008

download service pack two from the trados website...

http://www.proz.com/topic/94879

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:00
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
Do not use Office 2007 Feb 14, 2008

Never.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 02:00
English to Portuguese
Trados SP2 makes Office 2007 run OK Feb 14, 2008

Download the Service Pack 2 from SDL/Trados and install it. You'll see that the Word 2007-Trados 8 interface finally runs pretty well. Not as fast as the Word 2003-Trados 7 or 6, but you'll only notice that when "fuzzy-matching". Even so, it is perfectly acceptable. SP2 even cleared some problems when using Tag Editor.

Edric

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SP2 installed Feb 14, 2008

I installed Trados SP 2 as soon as it come out. It had not improved performance, however.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Perhaps you need a more powerful computer Feb 14, 2008

Software updates eventually create a need for a new, more powerful PC, and in particular with lots of RAM. I updated my hardware last year, and everything is working at quite a decent speed now.

Astrid

P.S. If you are not planning to buy a new computer this year, a cheaper option is to buy a couple of slabs of RAM and stick them inside your PC. It will help a lot.

[Edited at 2008-02-14 21:47]

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brand new Asus notebook. Feb 15, 2008

I have a brand new Asus F5VL notebook, with an extra external hard disk (160 gb).
Processor-kloksnelheid 1660 MHz
Processorfamilie Intel Core Duo
Processor Core Duo T2330
Processor systeembus 667 MHz
Chipset SIS671DX+968
L2 cache 2 MB
Opslagcapaciteit 160 GB
Harde schijf-interface SATA
Rotatiesnelheid 5400 RPM
Intern geheugen 2048 MB
Intern geheugentype DDR2
Geheugenlayout 2 x 1024 MB
Maximum intern ge
... See more
I have a brand new Asus F5VL notebook, with an extra external hard disk (160 gb).
Processor Core Duo T2330
Chipset SIS671DX+968
L2 cache 2 MB
Opslagcapaciteit 160 GB
Rotatiesnelheid 5400 RPM
Intern geheugen 2048 MB
Intern geheugentype DDR2
Maximum intern geheugen 4 GB
Grafische adapter ATI Radeon X2300
Maximum geheugen grafische adapter 128 MB.
It should be powerful enough, I think.
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Downgrade Feb 15, 2008

Toiny Van der Putte-Rademakers wrote:

Processor Core Duo T2330
Chipset SIS671DX+968
L2 cache 2 MB
Opslagcapaciteit 160 GB
Rotatiesnelheid 5400 RPM
Intern geheugen 2048 MB
Intern geheugentype DDR2
Maximum intern geheugen 4 GB
Grafische adapter ATI Radeon X2300
Maximum geheugen grafische adapter 128 MB.
It should be powerful enough, I think.

Get hold of ver 7.5, and Office Pro 2000 (or 2003). I still use Office Pro 2000 with ver 7.5, and with your computer this would run "like a wind". The only problem is TE, but this program is quite slow on all systems...

If you have upgraded to the latest build of Trados, the older versions should be available here: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/

Buy Office on Ebay: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=office%202000%20professional&category0=

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 02:00
English to Portuguese
Perhaps not powerful enough for the combo... Feb 15, 2008

Your system is adequate, perhaps powerful for a Vista-Office 2003- Trados 2007, but Office 2007 is a system hog... My Vista-Trados is running on a Core 2 Duo 2.6MHz and 4 GB SDRAM, chipset Intel, and only after SP2 I experienced acceptable performance. You should check your Vista overall classification rating (Control Panel>System>Basic Computer Info>Windows Experience Index): mine gets a 5.3.

Perhaps the SP2 patch is not working OK. Happened to me when I applied it over Trados SP1.
... See more
Your system is adequate, perhaps powerful for a Vista-Office 2003- Trados 2007, but Office 2007 is a system hog... My Vista-Trados is running on a Core 2 Duo 2.6MHz and 4 GB SDRAM, chipset Intel, and only after SP2 I experienced acceptable performance. You should check your Vista overall classification rating (Control Panel>System>Basic Computer Info>Windows Experience Index): mine gets a 5.3.

Perhaps the SP2 patch is not working OK. Happened to me when I applied it over Trados SP1. I downloaded the full package, including SP2 (SDLTrados2007_FL_SP2_835.exe), uninstalled the old one, and reinstalled. So I got a clean Trados installation.

Don't forget to update your Office 2007, too: it already has a SP1.

If you still have performance issues, I would suggest going back to Word 2003. It has no performance problems. Find boxed copies at eBay.

Edric

[Edited at 2008-02-15 11:15]
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
On another note... Feb 15, 2008

Do you chop up your documents?

Since the day I found out that, the smaller the documents are, the faster Trados proceeds from one TU to the next, I have meticulously chopped up all documents that I translate into sections of a maximum of 500 words. It certainly did improve the speed, so it is worth a try.

You have to spend a little bit of time sticking all the bits together again at the end of course, but you save more time in the first place.

Astrid

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Time Feb 18, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Do you chop up your documents?

Since the day I found out that, the smaller the documents are, the faster Trados proceeds from one TU to the next, I have meticulously chopped up all documents that I translate into sections of a maximum of 500 words. It certainly did improve the speed, so it is worth a try.

You have to spend a little bit of time sticking all the bits together again at the end of course, but you save more time in the first place.

Astrid

One of the reasons for using Trados are supposed to speed up the work, and using time to chop of a 10 000 word document in 500 word pieces is not the way I plan to spend my time...

Dr Duck
Dr Duck
English to Swedish
Use TagEditor Feb 18, 2008

For the past two months I have struggled with Windows Vista, Word 2007 and SDL Translators Workbench (Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 8.0 Freelance).

I strongly recommend Tageditor rather than Word. No performace issues at all.

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Feb 18, 2008

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have tried most of them, adn I have discussed the issue with several computer experts this weekend. Most of them advised me to install a "dual boot system", so that I can switch between the use of Vista and Office 2007, and XP and Word 2003. Which is what I will do next.

[Edited at 2008-02-18 19:41]

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TE Feb 18, 2008

Dr Duck wrote:

For the past two months I have struggled with Windows Vista, Word 2007 and SDL Translators Workbench (Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 8.0 Freelance).

I strongly recommend Tageditor rather than Word. No performace issues at all.

TagEditor is one of the worst tools Trados have regarding speed. Take just the spell check options. You can choose to spell check every segment, or do this after you "save target as". Both choices will slow you down a lot.

...and try to import a large Excel file...

TE is all in all a nice product when you deal with smaller files, but when the file size gets larger the performance is really an issue!

It is still possible to export segments and continue in Word...(and try to avoid 2007 and Vista ) ....and Trados ver 8....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench and Word 2007 extremely slow, under Windows Vista

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »