Linda Gaus
Linda Gaus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:11
Member (2002)
German to English
Feb 15, 2008

Hi everybody,
I just upgraded to Trados 2007 SP 2 this past week, and I was so excited...but now (of course!) I've got a problem. When I try to clean Word 2003 files I've translated, I see a message that says "Filter definitions file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters\PlugInFile\Filterdefinitions.xml could not be located" -- which is true -- there doesn't seem to be any such file (or even directory!). The result is that I end up with just an uncl
... See more
Hi everybody,
I just upgraded to Trados 2007 SP 2 this past week, and I was so excited...but now (of course!) I've got a problem. When I try to clean Word 2003 files I've translated, I see a message that says "Filter definitions file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters\PlugInFile\Filterdefinitions.xml could not be located" -- which is true -- there doesn't seem to be any such file (or even directory!). The result is that I end up with just an uncleaned .bak file and no cleaned .doc file. I don't know why Trados is looking for this file in the first place and I don't know how to tell it how to stop, so for the moment I'm forced to use the older version of Translator's Workbench on my laptop to clean the files. This is fine for the short term, but in the long term I'd really prefer to make my new version of Trados work right.

Does anybody have any clue what's going on here? Many thanks in advance for your assistance!
Linda Gaus (maddocs)
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 00:11
English to Spanish
Just a clue... Feb 15, 2008

Maybe something to do with disabling these two boxes? I work with Trados 7.5, and can see those disabled... And have no problems when cleaning .doc & .rtf files.

Linda Gaus
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your clue! Feb 15, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Maybe something to do with disabling these two boxes? I work with Trados 7.5, and can see those disabled... And have no problems when cleaning .doc & .rtf files.

Hi Tadzio,
Thank you very much for your clue -- unfortunately, those boxes are unchecked by default in the new Trados as well; I just checked to be sure that was the case...I never had any problems at all cleaning files in 7.5, but now I'm stumped as to how to proceed and wondering whether upgrading was a good idea.

Once again, many thanks!

Regards from VA,
Linda

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Local time: 07:11
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
This is a common problem and has been posted before Feb 17, 2008

1. Go to the Control panel.
2. Use the uninstall feature, or the Add/remove programs if you are using the classic appearance.
3. Choose the SDL Trados software.
4. Click the Change button, and soon you should see a Repair option (I can't tell you exactly when it appears, because I have Vista here).

This repairs the Registry entries for Trados and should fix your problem.

Linda Gaus
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Diarmuid! Feb 17, 2008

Diarmuid Kennan wrote:

1. Go to the Control panel.
2. Use the uninstall feature, or the Add/remove programs if you are using the classic appearance.
3. Choose the SDL Trados software.
4. Click the Change button, and soon you should see a Repair option (I can't tell you exactly when it appears, because I have Vista here).

This repairs the Registry entries for Trados and should fix your problem.

Many thanks, Diarmuid! This was just the ticket...I searched the forum before I posted and could find nothing that matched my search terms, I don't know why. I also don't know why, since this is a known problem, SDL doesn't warn you about this with the installation -- it's incredibly annoying to buy new software and then have it not work right out of the box (as if there were a box anymore!). Anyway, I really appreciate your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't clean files in Trados 2007 SP 2 with Word 2003

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »