https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/97466-cleaning_of_bak_file_to_get_source_text.html

cleaning of bak-file to get source text?
Thread poster: Angela Kosler
Angela Kosler
Angela Kosler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:02
English to German
Feb 18, 2008

hello,

i need to realign a project (english source with a corrected version of the german translation) but I have no source file anymore, only the english-german bak-file!

does anybody know a way to "clean" a bak-file of the translation in order to get only the SOURCE text (without the translation)? the file is quite large so the function "copy source sentence" (sorry, don't know the correct appelation in english) won't do.

thanks a lot in advance for your
... See more
hello,

i need to realign a project (english source with a corrected version of the german translation) but I have no source file anymore, only the english-german bak-file!

does anybody know a way to "clean" a bak-file of the translation in order to get only the SOURCE text (without the translation)? the file is quite large so the function "copy source sentence" (sorry, don't know the correct appelation in english) won't do.

thanks a lot in advance for your help!
angela
Collapse

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I would "translate" the DE text into EN, with the existing TM Feb 18, 2008

If you open a new TM, define the language pair as DE > EN and import the existing TM (no need to change anything about the TM), you shall be able to translate it back into English and cleaning it up, you'll have the original.
I never tried that, but theoretically, this is how Trados works.

Anette Herbert
Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search and replace on language Feb 18, 2008

I would either try to use the Search and replace function in Word and search on language, search for German and replace that with "highlighted text" (i think you have to have the highlighter set to a colour for this to work).

To be able to do this you have to set Word to show hidden text. When all German is highlighted, you search for "highlighted text" and then replace it with "nothing" ie don't write anything in the replace box. You then get rid of all the tags by searching for "format template" twin mark and again replace that with nothing to delete them.

Make sure you have a copy of the bak.file first before trying this.

//Anette

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
clean without updating the tm Feb 19, 2008

Copy your .bak file and change the extension from .bak into .doc (if you originally had a .doc file). And then you can clean the file, but note: clean this file into another (new, specially created) TM, or enable the option Don't update (meaning do not update the TM) in the cleaning dialog.

Angela Kosler
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
translation back to english worked Feb 19, 2008

dear all,

i tried anettes suggestion first, only my file seems to have been defined as "german" altogether, so the search function always marked the english and the german segment together - not possible to replace the german.

but evas idea worked quite well! thanks a lot.

a nice day to all of you
angela

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
PlusToyz Feb 26, 2008

In plustoyz there is a macro for converting uncleaned Word-files back to the source in one step.

Angela Kosler
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
plustoyz Feb 27, 2008

hello heinrich,

I'll try plustoyz the next time! thank you.

kind regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cleaning of bak-file to get source text?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »