MultiTerm iX lost all my termbases
Thread poster: Markus Wahlgren

Markus Wahlgren  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:49
English to Swedish
Feb 25, 2008

Hi all!

All of a sudden all my Termbases in Multiterm was lost! I have no idea where they went and I have searhed the entire PC for .xdp-files only to fine the sample Termbase that is included wih the progeram. Why does this happen in the middle of a big project with a tight deadline... I really need the termbases. Can anyone help?

Direct link Reply with quote

TTV  Identity Verified
France
German to French
--- Feb 25, 2008

You're sure you have still iX or is it 2007 ?

I suppose you really have iX:

xdp files are just project files, you must look after ldb and mdb files that are the termbases themself. If you find them on your PC, then create a new project and attached them to it.
I can't tell you in detail because I've now migrated from iX to 2007 +:)

Good luck anyway

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Lost termbases Feb 25, 2008

Normally, this only happens if you physically move the termbases to another location or if you rename the directory containing the termbases. Of course, deleting the files explicitly also does the trick quite well, but I assume (and hope) that's not your problem!
By the way, you must look for MDB, not XDP files.

Markus Wahlgren  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Updated Feb 25, 2008

René Vinchon wrote:

You're sure you have still iX or is it 2007 ?

Oh, you're right... I have 2007. Thanks for pointing it out.

DSC wrote:

Normally, this only happens if you physically move the termbases to another location ... By the way, you must look for MDB, not XDP files.

You may be on to something... Surely I have not removed or deleted the directories, but perhaps some "cleaner software" I used to speed up the computer by removing clutter may have treated the files as trash/adware/etc...?

Anywho, I have used the nifty Vista feature to restore folders into previous states, and indeed I found at least one Mdb file that turned out to be a termbase. They share teh file extension wth Microsoft Access and a few otehr databases, so those are found too.

But the odd thing is that I did not find all my MDB's (termbases) using this method - what is their default location ona a Vista machine?

Radu Buda Maris
Local time: 07:49
German to English
+ ...
x Mar 23, 2008

Cleaner software really sucks people! Dont use that kind of trash ever again- would you ever let a stranger in your house to decide FOR YOU what is garbage and what not.

Anyway--- if you still miss some files try "undelete" them with some recovery software. Find some at www.download.com . This trick allways helps getting back deleted or moved files, even from trashed or formatted HDD.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm iX lost all my termbases

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search