Upgrade from Trados 6.5 to Trados SDL 2007: Existing TMs still available?
Thread poster: Erik Hansson

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Feb 26, 2008

Dear ProZians,

We are about to upgrade from Trados 6.5 to Trados SDL 2007 SP2. Before doing so, we have tried to figure out whether we can still use all the Translation Memories, set up in Trados 6.5, in the version Trados SDL 2007. Is it necessary (or advisable) to make an export file (txt) of every single TM, then set up new TMs in the new version and finally export the txt files? Considering the huge numbers of TMs it would take some time.

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Kind regards
Erik

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
www.hansson.de
info@hansson.de
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can use them Feb 26, 2008

Export would be advisable for non-western languages, where the encoding differs from the Windos system encoding. I'm notsure, but AFAIR SDL has recommended exporting and reimporting TMs with upgrading, as the 6.5 did not use Unicode, while the next version utulisies Unicode.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
I would simply make backup of all TMS and open them then with the new version to see, what happens. After that you could still export the backups and create new TMs (use the "Copy" funkction from File - New menu).

[Edited at 2008-02-26 07:03]

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:38
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
My experience Feb 26, 2008

Erik Hansson wrote:

We are about to upgrade from Trados 6.5 to Trados SDL 2007 SP2. Before doing so, we have tried to figure out whether we can still use all the Translation Memories, set up in Trados 6.5, in the version Trados SDL 2007. Is it necessary (or advisable) to make an export file (txt) of every single TM, then set up new TMs in the new version and finally export the txt files? Considering the huge numbers of TMs it would take some time.

Before I upgraded from Trados 6.5 to Trados SDL 2007 SP1, I exported all my memories in txt format, just in case.

When I started using the new version, I used my old memories with no problems, and did not need to re-create the memories.

I have also installed the SP2 upgrade, again without problems.

Lina

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:38
English to Indonesian
+ ...
tmx? Feb 27, 2008

how about to tmx? no one ever tried that?

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrade successful + old TMs available Mar 1, 2008

Dear fellow ProZians,

Thank you very much for your support and good hints.

Before upgrading from Trados 6.5 to SDL Trados 2007 SP 2 we exported the most important TMs into txt files, just for sure. We then however realized that whereas our version of Trados 6.5 is dongle-based, the new version is software-based. In worst case, this would mean that we would still be able to open the 6.5 version and to get hold of the TMs that way.

After a 400 MB download session we finally had the upgrade file in our system and the installation went very smoothly. My first action with this new version was to try it out with the old TMs - and it all worked very very well. No problems at all.

Kind regards
Erik

Dr Duck
Local time: 16:38
English to Swedish
Database versions Mar 4, 2008

Quoted from WB Help

Translation memories created in Translator's Workbench 8 have the database version number 8 and translation memories created in Translator's Workbench 7 have the database version number 7.. Translation memories created in Translator's Workbench 5.6 and later have the database version number 6.00. Translation memories created in Translator’s Workbench 5.5/5.0 have the database version number 5.00.

Translation memories created in Translator's Workbench 7 and 8 are compatible with earlier versions of Translator's Workbench. They can be opened in earlier versions of Translator's Workbench but any Unicode-only languages will not be supported.

There are certain differences between translation memories created in Translator’s Workbench 5.6/6.x, and memories that were created in earlier versions of the software. The main differences are:

The database version number for translation memories created in recent versions of Translator’s Workbench has changed. Translation memories created in Translator’s Workbench 5.6 or later have the database version number 6.00. This applies to both file- and server-based translation memories. Memories that are created in Translator’s Workbench 5.5 or 5.0 have the database version number 5.00.

In Translator’s Workbench 5.6 or later, the user lists for segmentation rules and the variable list for automatic substitution are stored in the translation memory itself. This applies to both file- and server-based translation memories. In Translator’s Workbench 5.5/5.0, these lists are stored in external files.

These differences affect the backward and forward compatibility of translation memories, as outlined below.
&c &c

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade from Trados 6.5 to Trados SDL 2007: Existing TMs still available?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search