Different word count
Thread poster: Krakor
Krakor
English to Czech
Feb 26, 2008

Hello all,

I am having one question and would like to ask you for help. I am working for a agency that is translating manuals. The customer sent us three FrameMaker files and wanted to make a word count. I exported these files into ttx files, use our Trados TM and let the log file make. The customer received all file (TM in txt format and all ttx files) and send it in other agency. So the problem is that these word counts were a little bit different. Interesting is that also Total word count was different. And the main discrepancies were in 100% matches and 99-95% matches. Settings in Trados Workbench/Options/Translation Memory Options/Penalties are exactly the same in both agencies. So would be anybody so kind and try to help me what these differences could be caused by? Thank you very much.

Direct link Reply with quote

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:34
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
other Trados version? Feb 26, 2008

When files are analysed in different versions of Trados, there will also be different word counts.

Krakor
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 26, 2008

ReneevB wrote:

When files are analysed in different versions of Trados, there will also be different word counts.

Thank you for reply. Do you have any argument that I can use? Our customer needs proof and I need something to persuade him. Thank you!

Regards,
Jan

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
screenshots Feb 26, 2008

Hi Jan,
You could send them screenshots of the analysis and the settings dialog, or send them an extract of the analysis log.

Good luck, word counts are very frequently a problem with Trados,
Renée

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
ps Feb 26, 2008

your argument could be that that's the version you're working with and that your work is based on the analysis you made with your tools.

Krakor
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
.. Feb 26, 2008

Screenshot is not enough We sent all log files to the customer but he is still saying that the second agency had different word count and cannot accept our statistics. So I need any link to the website or anything else where the proof that different Trados versions=different word count will be seen. I am a little bit desparate. Thanks for any help.
Jan

Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
no proof Feb 26, 2008

I'm sorry, I have no proof, it's just my experience (from years of using Trados), and experience of others.
Maybe you could send the link of this forum post...

mariana24  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:34
Spanish
+ ...
Unbelievable! Feb 27, 2008

Krakor wrote:

Screenshot is not enough We sent all log files to the customer but he is still saying that the second agency had different word count and cannot accept our statistics. So I need any link to the website or anything else where the proof that different Trados versions=different word count will be seen. I am a little bit desparate. Thanks for any help.
Jan

Hi Jan,

I really feel for you because from what you say, really, there is no way of proving that different versions of Trados result in different word counts. The idea of a link to this thread is not bad at all, but I would, in your place, write to Trados itself and ask for a solution. I find it absolutely unbelievable that one single program, depending on its version, changes the word count of a document. And what really makes me furious- I know it won't help you specifically, but it could be a seed for thought- is how naive we all are at believing that these tools are the panacea for all the problems we face. Here you are not being able to get your money because your client has a different word count...I mean....Office WORD counts words properly in the same way, no matter the version, right? (I'm starting to doubt everything). But God Trados is sooooooooo sophisticated that not only likes to leave us with open segments that we cannot see, tell us that we cannot close a segment because "a previous translation cannot be found" and beauties of the sort -all of them usually on the deadline-, and now...it isn't even able to count words properly!! I would definitely contact Trados itself and ask how you can solve the problem. They created all versions, they solve it, you payed to have fewer problems, not more.

Good luck!

Mariana

[Edited at 2008-02-27 19:08]

Krakor
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
thx Feb 27, 2008

Hi Mariana, thank you very much for positive feedback. I wrote email to SDL so I hope they will reply. It is interesting that another agency got the third version of results. As I read somewhere in this forum: it could be caused by Earth rotation
Have a splendid days.
Jan

Darius Porebski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yahoo's TW_users Feb 28, 2008

How about posting your problem in Yahoo's TW_users group? AFAIK SDL is tracking that one. Could be faster than contacting SDL directly.

Regards
Darius

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different word count

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search