Thread poster: Francisco Mar Rubio
Francisco Mar Rubio  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 20:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2008

Helllo everybody,

I have a Multiterm Glossary that I converted from an Excel file. The Glossary works fine in Multiterm, but if I active the Term Recognition Option in Workbench, it does offer me any term at all. The Term Recognition Option is active, no problem at all, but it simply does not offer any suggestion when I am translating...

Any idea?
Thanks a lot.
I use both version 7.5

Direct link Reply with quote

SabineSK
English to German
Me too Feb 28, 2008

I hope you get an answer, because I'm having the same problem. My computer was reformatted and ever since then, my term recognition has been totally blank. MultiTerm itself is doing weird things too, like not starting up with our one and only termbase automatically like it used to, and I'm thinking there might be a connection. But I'm anxiously awaiting a reply!

Percy Balemans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Correct source and target languages? Feb 28, 2008

Have you checked whether the source and target languages in the Term Recognition Options are the same as those of the TM? I sometimes find they don't match and then term recognition doesn't work.

Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Feb 28, 2008

I think so, but I will double check!

Thanks!!

Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not solved Feb 28, 2008

I tried changing the languages. Now are all of them correct, but the problem persists....

SabineSK
English to German
That's a problem too Feb 29, 2008

I tried that at first, and it was all correct, but now (after my wiser colleagues fooled around with it) that isn't even an option anymore. When I open the term recognition options menu, everything is grayed out, even the OK button. There are no languages in the language drop down menus. I then have to click into Select Termbase, and our company's standard termbase isn't listed anymore, only a copy of it I made for myself. If I select it, I can then change options and click OK. It doesn't make Term Recognition work though, so I'm thinking the copy didn't work.

SabineSK
English to German
Correction Feb 29, 2008

The copy works fine in MultiTerm, but it's not showing up in workbench.

Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still the problem Feb 29, 2008

By me it is even more strange. The Term recognition option menu is active, I can choose the languages, I get no error, the Termbase does work perfectly.... BUT the Term recognition window is ALWAYS blank!!

Now I can not use any glossary at all.
I have to say that I also reinstalled my PC 3 weeks ago...

Any idea?

Thanks
Francisco

SabineSK
English to German
Same here Feb 29, 2008

Francisco, my problem is exactly the same as yours now too. Term Recognition window is there but just totally blank. Multiterm on its own works perfectly fine. Let's hope someone else comes up with a few ideas!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Term Recognition Option is not Active Feb 29, 2008

Hey Guys,

This problem is usually caused when there is a termbase still selected, but not in use.

Please follow these instructions:

Please open SDL Multiterm and select Termbase -> Package Delete/Termbase

Highlight any Termbases that are no longer used and select "Delete Termbase Permanently" then "OK"

Once this has been done, open up Translators Workbench and select
"Options" -> "Term Recognition Options.." then Browse to where your current working Termbase is and select this.

Also make sure that Under "Options" -> "Term Recognition" this is selected on.

This should rectify the problem, its usually because Multiterm is looking at the wrong Termbase.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

SDL Support Team

Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 29, 2008

Thanks a lot for the instruction, but I only have a Multiterm termbase, so it must be this one TM is connecting to...

I will try to reinstall Multiterm and see what happens...

Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to browse to Termbase Feb 29, 2008

Hello again. I reinstalled Multiterm and now I try to find the Termbase I stored in a file. How can I browse to it? Should I save my Termbase in a specific path?

Thanks a lot,
Francisco

Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does not work Feb 29, 2008

I am sorry but it does not work. I have reinstalled everything (Office, Trados and Multiterm). The Termbase does work perfectly. I only have this termbase which I have selected for Term Recognition. I get no error at all. But nothing!!!
What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Francisco

SabineSK
English to German
Tried that too, didn't help Mar 3, 2008

Hello,

I deleted the "Sample" termbase, which is the only other one in my file system, since like Francisco, I also only have one termbase.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

SabineSK
English to German
It works! Mar 4, 2008

Hey Francisco!

I finally got term recognition to work after trying many many suggestions I found here and elsewhere. I'm listing up everything I did because I'm really not sure which step fixed the problem.

1. I reorganized my termbase in MultiTerm (click on Termbase, Reorganize Termbase). The window appeared to freeze up, but I let it alone and then it finished working eventually. After doing this, there seemed to be no change in TWB term recognition, but I didn't think to close it and reopen it, so I'm not sure if this is what fixed it.

2. Next, I tried another suggestions to point concordance directly at my translation memory. In workbench, click on Options, Translation Memory Options, Concordance. In "Reference Read-only memory", I browsed to the translation memory I was using. Actually, I couldn't find it at first so I moved to step 3.

3. Clicking on Windows Start, Search, I searched for *.tmw and finally found it. I double clicked it, which was stupid because it just opened a second version of workbench. Which didn't work at all. I then went back to the screen in point 2, selected this memory for Reference.

4. I closed Workbench (both versions), reopened it with the same translation memory, and voila! term recognition suddenly worked!

I'm not sure how this will hold up if I have to switch memories, I guess I might have to point the concordance at the other memory manually. But hey, it's a little effort worth a lot of happiness!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition option does not work

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search