Trados segments do not open; macro has been disabled
Thread poster: Gert Sass (M.A.)

Gert Sass (M.A.)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
English to German
+ ...
Feb 28, 2008

Dear all,

I am incurring severe problems working in Word 2002 using Trados 7.1.

After first translating a TTX file which had been converted from DOC,
I found that it was impossible to save the target as a Word file.
The message I got read
"Unable to locate original file: …
Please copy this original file into the directory above and try again."
Upon my request for that initial file, the client returned with a DOC file
which I was unable to open. When I tried to, Word returned an error
message telling me to check the file access rights of the document.
Now today they sent me another version of this which I could open
alright, but TE was still unable to locate it (although copied into said directory)
when it came to saving in the target format .doc, so I decided to use the TM to translate the
text again in Word.

Now I am facing two further problems:

For whatever reason, many of the segments won't open, so I cannot
enter a translation to these anywhere (because no field appears).
Instead, Trados Workbench simply falls asleep displaying a "Searching
…" message, but nothing else happens. The only thing I can do to
continue at all is to restart TW and leave the corrupt segment aside.

All of a sudden, I cannot use Trados in Word anymore altogether. When
I try to close the current unit, I am told that "The macro cannot be
found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings."
This occurred after TW fell asleep again.
I have changed the security level to low, but this doesn't help.
The box in Tools > Templates and add ons is checked.
I am currently planning to place the in the Word startup
folder, but haven’t found that folder yet.

I am quite lost at the moment, since I am expected to deliver (again) today, but nothing seems to work the way it should.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Meanwhile I have managed to solve the second problem by placing in the MS Office start folder and checking the add-ins box under tools.

But problem 1 persists, followed by problem no. 3:

Towards the end of the file, there's a number of tables, and it turns out that Trados gets trapped within these, repeating the translation of the same sequence over and over again - this especially occurs in connection with subdivided cells. Can this be a bug?

[Edited at 2008-02-28 20:48]


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados segments do not open; macro has been disabled

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search