Workbench: single words or whole sentences?
Thread poster: Javier Wasserzug

Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2008

I'm starting with trados 2007 and learning to use it before the trail expires to see if I want to spend all that money or not.

Having said that, I have one big question.

I follow all the tutorials and read tons of articles. My TM works fine. But, when I try to use my memory (TM) with a words that I know I have already translated, the only suggestions appear when there are a certain number of words that matches the order.
In other words, when I try with the same words in different order, no matches. What am I doing wrong? Can Trados show me the words that I have already translated and added to the TM even when the senteces is different than any other one?

Thank you all a lot for your help in advance!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Matches Mar 4, 2008

Hi, Javier.

There are three types of matches you can get in Trados:

1) Termbase matches
To match individual terms and expressions (e.g., glossary items), you enter your glossary into a termbase in Multiterm and then activate the Term Recognition feature in Workbench.

2) Concordance matches
To search for specific terms and phrases you've translated before, use the Concordance feature in Workbench.

3) Segment matches (100% or fuzzy matches)
This is the standard sort of match that Workbench does by default: bringing up previous translations when you go to translate a similar or matching segment.

Good luck with it!

[Edited at 2008-03-04 19:02]

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:40
Not quite sure what you mean, but... Mar 4, 2008

If you have a specific expression you know you have translated before, you can search for it in the TM by selecting the word (in the open segment) and pressing ALT + up arrow. This opens a new windows with a so-called concordance search. Then you should be able to see the expression you've translated before (using the same TM).

Having said that, there is an unknown bug in the concordance search engine which means that sometimes you don't get what you're looking for. In some instances, the first word is ignored in the concordance search, but the problem doesn't occur that often.

BR Jørgen

Javier Wasserzug  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thankful Mar 5, 2008

Thank you for your time guys!

QUESTION:
How do I change those options?
Do I do that while connected to Trados? or do I have to stablish which one do I wnat before hand?

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:40
English to French
+ ...
It's not a bug Mar 5, 2008

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

Having said that, there is an unknown bug in the concordance search engine which means that sometimes you don't get what you're looking for.

That's actually not a bug but rather a lousy piece of software. If you go to Options > Translation Memory Options, and then click the Concordance tab (this is where you would set all options for those concordance searches), you'll notice that you cannot set the minimum match value under 30%. That's the culprit. In order for the word you are searching for to appear in the concordance search results, the word itself has to be at least a 30% match with the translation units in the TM for it to show up. In other words, if you are looking for a word that you did translate but in longer segments, your chances are slim that it turns up in the conrcodance results, even in cases where it otherwise occurs in dozens of units in the TM.

If you want to be able to find a word that occurs somewhere in the TM, you would have to use a tool like ApSic XBench, which can be downloaded free at http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html. Learn to use this tool well - it will be useful for a bunch of other applications and can be a lifesaver. In short, it compensates for most of Trados' shorcomings.

Feature, not a bug ;-) Mar 5, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

That's actually not a bug but rather a lousy piece of software.

First time I've seen a reasonable explanation for that little "feature".

Jørgen

Changing the options Mar 5, 2008

Javier Wasserzug wrote:
How do I change those options?

Basically, you do this while working. I am not really a great fan of MultiTerm, which is the Trados application used for term databases. But if the client supplies a database, it's usually quite useful. If you decide to create your own term databases, that's possible, too. I just think it's user-unfriendly in that sense. Maybe I don't do it right, but I can't make it work. I usually search CSV format glossaries in other programs or import glossaries directly into the TM and use the concordance search.

You can enable term recognition (the use of a term database) by selecting Options > Term recognition or pressing Ctrl+R. If you haven't used the database before and have one, you have to select it first by selecting Options > Term recognition options and choosing the MultiTerm version of the database and selecting Browse to find your database.

As for concordance searches, you can perform those whenever. You can either select the term (one or more words) in question in Word or TagEditor and press ALT+up arrow, or you can switch to the workbench and press F3 to do a concordance search.

As for segment matches, Trados automatically searches for the closest matched segment in the TM, so you don't have to do anything there. If there are several matches, it shows the closest match, but you can see the other matches by using the arrow buttons in the lower left corner of the workbench.

Jørgen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench: single words or whole sentences?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search