Laure Trads  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:25
Member (2004)
English to French
Mar 5, 2008

Hi,

A client sent me the following files:
- a large txt file (I do not know whether it contains the TM or something else, the client would not tell me. I can just tell that it contains both English and French segments and that it is 767 Mb big)
- a log file (0 Mb)
- several .WAF.src files
- several .WAF.trg files
- several .WAF files
- the usual files making up a Trados TM
- a .pjt file (which opens Winalign)

How should I proceed in order to align the files? I do not know recognise .WAF, .src no .trg extensions.

Then, I am supposed to used this TM to translate .mif files. Should I use Tageditor or SDLX?

Thank you for your help,
Laure

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
WinAlign files + tagged file + S-tagger for *.mif Mar 5, 2008

Hi Laure,

- several .WAF.src files
- several .WAF.trg files
- several .WAF files

these are WinAlign files, where partial alignments are stored.

Theoretically, all files to be aligned should have already been imported and you'd only need to open each WinAlign project (in case you have more than one) one by one and re-load the aligned files and keep saving your work (newly committed segments).

If you have to deliver an export, normally it is a TWB import file (txt), once you are done with the alignment.

As to the bilingual txt file, well it depends on what there is inside. From the size it could be a TWB export, but you already have all five files making up a trados TM (I suppose?), so it has to be a tagged file (to be translated)

The *.txt file could be either an Indesign or PageMaker tagged file, perhaps a Ventura. You can import it into TagEditor and translate it from there, save it as a bilingual file.

*.mif (Frame Maker) has to be converted with the S-tagger into STF file and then imported into TagEditor and translated there...

It depends on your instructions... you should know and get from your client before accepting.

Giuliana

France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot reload Winalign files Mar 6, 2008

Hi Giuliana,

Thank you very much for all this.

One problem I have is that, when I double click on the .pjt file, Winalign opens but then says that the freelance version cannot process more than 10 files at a time. Would you know how to go around that?

Laure

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No, you need to tell your client Mar 6, 2008

Hi Laure,

no, I am sorry, never had to face that problem. I also have a freelance version, so I can only add and process 10 files per project. To be honest I was never faced with this problem, as I have always been sent all the source & target files to be aligned and created myself various projects.

Giuliana

France
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
OK, thank you Mar 6, 2008

That's what I thought...

Laure

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.WAF .src .trg and .mif

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search