https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/98969-tageditor%3A_error_while_writing_breaks.html

TAGEditor: error while writing breaks
Thread poster: katrelnada
katrelnada
katrelnada  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 6, 2008

Hello,

I'm currently using TAG Editor (SDL 2007) with Windows 2000 and Office 2003. My problem is I can't preview the file pairs (Source and target language) while translating because TAGEditor keeps on giving me this message: "Error while writing breaks". Also when I try to clean up, I get the same message. In the case of the cleanup, I had to translate to fuzzy the whole file in Word and clean up in WB(following the Word files workflow):-(

Any idea why this keeps hap
... See more
Hello,

I'm currently using TAG Editor (SDL 2007) with Windows 2000 and Office 2003. My problem is I can't preview the file pairs (Source and target language) while translating because TAGEditor keeps on giving me this message: "Error while writing breaks". Also when I try to clean up, I get the same message. In the case of the cleanup, I had to translate to fuzzy the whole file in Word and clean up in WB(following the Word files workflow):-(

Any idea why this keeps happening to me ? Would appeciate your help:-?

Thank you
Collapse

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 23:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Error while writing breaks Mar 6, 2008

Hi,

According to SDL, this should solve the problem:

1. Open your Word document in Word. Make all hidden characters visible so that you can see the section breaks and paragraph marks in the document.
2. Search for section breaks in the document: Select Edit/Replace, click on the More button, place the cursor in the 'Find what' box, and type '^b' (without the quotes).
3. Place the cursor in the 'Replace with' box, click Special and select 'Find What Text';
... See more
Hi,

According to SDL, this should solve the problem:

1. Open your Word document in Word. Make all hidden characters visible so that you can see the section breaks and paragraph marks in the document.
2. Search for section breaks in the document: Select Edit/Replace, click on the More button, place the cursor in the 'Find what' box, and type '^b' (without the quotes).
3. Place the cursor in the 'Replace with' box, click Special and select 'Find What Text'; position the cursor in front of the '^&' (without the quotes) that gets inserted, and type in '^p' (without the quotes) so that the 'Replace with' box looks like this:
^p^&
4. Click Replace All, click OK, click Close, then save and close the file.
5. When the file is processed in TagEditor or TeamWorks, there will then be no problem saving the target file.
Collapse

katrelnada
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 6, 2008

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that today...:-))

katrelnada
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried & didn't work Mar 7, 2008

I get this message:
(80005): this microsoft word doc cannot be opened due to tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected.

I opened the file, accepted all changes & still I get the same message...Then I created a new file where i copied the file & still wouldn't open...

Again I had to reopen the file in word and clean up with WB.

Hmmm...I need help!

katrelnada
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And to compound my problem... Mar 7, 2008

WB won't clean up the word file (after I re-translated the file in Word environment using the Translate to Fuzzy command), giving me this message:

(50202): Word could not convert the document due to an OLE/COM or file name error.
File skipped!

I don't know what else to do...Help, pls!

Peter Winch
Peter Winch  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:15
Japanese to English
+ ...
A possible solution... Apr 22, 2008

Earlier today I got a file from another translator, and when I tried to save it as Word (the original format) using TagEditor, I got the same error you mentioned: "Error while writing breaks".

I tried the solution omartin suggested, but it did not remove the problem. When I checked the file in Word, I noticed that all of the pages but one were 'vertical' (Portrait). One page had been rotated 90 degrees so that it was 'horizontal' (Landscape). It contained a diagram that needed more
... See more
Earlier today I got a file from another translator, and when I tried to save it as Word (the original format) using TagEditor, I got the same error you mentioned: "Error while writing breaks".

I tried the solution omartin suggested, but it did not remove the problem. When I checked the file in Word, I noticed that all of the pages but one were 'vertical' (Portrait). One page had been rotated 90 degrees so that it was 'horizontal' (Landscape). It contained a diagram that needed more page width.

I deleted that page and the error message ("Error while writing breaks") went away. I do not know if this will work in your case (or if it is the same cause), but you might like to try it.

By the way, I found the breaks omartin mentions before and after that one special page, but I could not replace them (I am not sure why).

Hope this helps, and good luck!

[Edited at 2008-04-22 07:06]
Collapse

Laura Vinti
Laura Vinti  Identity Verified
United States
German to Italian
+ ...
Thanks a lot!! It worked. Feb 7, 2013

I'm so glad it worked. Thanks so much for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TAGEditor: error while writing breaks

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »