Simple Question: Can I import a TM from SDL Trados into Trados 7?
Thread poster: Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:58
English to German
+ ...
Mar 10, 2008

Dear Collegues

I haven't found any information using the forum search. Maybe you can help?

I have received a TM from a collegue who has worked for me last week. She works with the latest version of SDL Trados.
I have given her my TM and have now received delivery of her TM which I wanted to import into my Workbench. I work with Trados Freelance 7 and Windows XP.

When importing the txt file I receive the message that Workbench is not working properly
... See more
Dear Collegues

I haven't found any information using the forum search. Maybe you can help?

I have received a TM from a collegue who has worked for me last week. She works with the latest version of SDL Trados.
I have given her my TM and have now received delivery of her TM which I wanted to import into my Workbench. I work with Trados Freelance 7 and Windows XP.

When importing the txt file I receive the message that Workbench is not working properly and has to be closed.

Is it impossible to import from SDL Trados to Trados 7?

Or could it be because in her TM we have activated the field "allow multiple translations for identical source segments" (which I had not activated in my TM)?

Is it really this simple ? (meaning I simply can not import from SDL Trados to an older version?) Or can someone explain what the problem is?

Thanks a million for your help!

Have a nice day!

Leena
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:58
English to Indonesian
+ ...
tmx Mar 10, 2008

the tm should be compatible. but to make sure, you can ask your friend to export the tm to tmx, instead of txt.

Leena vom Hofe
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 10, 2008

Thanks for your answer.

I will ask her.

Shall she export into 1.1 or 1.4 or 1.4b tmx?
(There are several possiblities...)

Thank you Mulyadi!

Leena

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:58
English to Indonesian
+ ...
1.4b Mar 10, 2008

according to this page: http://www.lisa.org/Translation-Memory-e.34.0.html, trados 7 is tmx 1.4b compliant.

Leena vom Hofe
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 10, 2008

Thank you, Mulyadi

I will try.

Have a nice day!

leena

[Edited at 2008-03-10 10:31]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:58
English to French
+ ...
Export format Mar 10, 2008

When in doubt, always export your TMX file in 1.1 format. The units in the TM are still exactly the same (between formats, the differences are external to the segments) and no information will be lost in case you use 1.1 when you could have used 1.4. We all use different versions and some of the newer file formats are not backward compatible, so it is always best to go back in time and use a format that is most likely compatible with all versions (1.1 definitely is). Unless, of course, you have ... See more
When in doubt, always export your TMX file in 1.1 format. The units in the TM are still exactly the same (between formats, the differences are external to the segments) and no information will be lost in case you use 1.1 when you could have used 1.4. We all use different versions and some of the newer file formats are not backward compatible, so it is always best to go back in time and use a format that is most likely compatible with all versions (1.1 definitely is). Unless, of course, you have been asked for a specific format or if you know exactly which version other team members are using and can figure out the best choice for them (which is your case at the moment).Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Simple Question: Can I import a TM from SDL Trados into Trados 7?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »