Thread poster: Djamila Vilcsko
Djamila Vilcsko
Djamila Vilcsko  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:31
English to German
Mar 13, 2008

Hello,

I own SDL Trados Freelance 2007 and thought it would be very easy to translate *asp files in Tag Editor. Turns out it's not that easy...
I am still rather new with Trados but so far I have easily picked up the translation of ppt, doc, xls files and the Trados manual states that *asp files can be translated in Tag Editor without much preparation. I have read the manual on tag setting files and tried to understand it, but when it comes to using the tag setting wizard and
... See more
Hello,

I own SDL Trados Freelance 2007 and thought it would be very easy to translate *asp files in Tag Editor. Turns out it's not that easy...
I am still rather new with Trados but so far I have easily picked up the translation of ppt, doc, xls files and the Trados manual states that *asp files can be translated in Tag Editor without much preparation. I have read the manual on tag setting files and tried to understand it, but when it comes to using the tag setting wizard and what elements to enable etc, i am totally lost.
Could it be that the client actually has to provide a file where the structure of the asp files is defined? I mean, how am I even supposed to know how to set up the tag settings file? The client sent me a bunch of asp files + a *css file for the style setting....I figure the *css file contains what I need but the manual never mentions css files but only *ini files.

My question is: Could I request a file from the client that would actually solve the whole problem easily or is it very likely that I will still have lots of trouble with this file format, because I, as a beginner, simply won't be able to master this fast enough? The deadline is Monday and the translation itself is simple - the real big problem is figuring out the file format. I also don't want to try this out for a few more days and tell the client when the deadline is over - it'll be bad enough anyway that I have to admit I was too optimistic about this whole matter.

I really appreciate your comments/help. Thanks a lot!

Djamila
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
No need! Mar 13, 2008

Djamila_Vilcsko wrote:

Hello,

I am still rather new with Trados but so far I have easily picked up the translation of ppt, doc, xls files and the Trados manual states that *asp files can be translated in Tag Editor without much preparation. I have read the manual on tag setting files and tried to understand it, but when it comes to using the tag setting wizard and what elements to enable etc, i am totally lost.
Could it be that the client actually has to provide a file where the structure of the asp files is defined? I mean, how am I even supposed to know how to set up the tag settings file? The client sent me a bunch of asp files + a *css file for the style setting....I figure the *css file contains what I need but the manual never mentions css files but only *ini files.

My question is: Could I request a file from the client that would actually solve the whole problem easily or is it very likely that I will still have lots of trouble with this file format, because I, as a beginner, simply won't be able to master this fast enough? The deadline is Monday and the translation itself is simple - the real big problem is figuring out the file format. I also don't want to try this out for a few more days and tell the client when the deadline is over - it'll be bad enough anyway that I have to admit I was too optimistic about this whole matter.

I really appreciate your comments/help. Thanks a lot!

Djamila

Hi Djamila,

The CSS is a Cascading Style Sheet file. It tells the browser how the styles should be applied in the browser window. So it's of no use at all from a translator's perspective. You can discard it if you will!

Apart from that, the standard HTML.ini should be good enough to handle all the .ASP files.
Just make sure you have added it to your tag settings list. This is very basic!

As an experiment, you could even rename your filename.ASP to filename.HTML, and open it in TagEditor. The result should be the same!

So there's no need to ask the client for any extra files, and there's no need to create a custom .ini, you have everything you need to get going.

/J

Djamila Vilcsko
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Mar 13, 2008

Hi J,

thanks so much for your answer...it turns out that the actual problem was that Windows blocked the unzipping of the zip folder the client had sent me. I did not get a message about this until I actually used WinZip and without the error message stupid me just did not get what was going on! I disabled the automatic blocking for this file and now it works beautifully!
Thanks for your advice - it encouraged me to try it out one last time and figure out what was really wron
... See more
Hi J,

thanks so much for your answer...it turns out that the actual problem was that Windows blocked the unzipping of the zip folder the client had sent me. I did not get a message about this until I actually used WinZip and without the error message stupid me just did not get what was going on! I disabled the automatic blocking for this file and now it works beautifully!
Thanks for your advice - it encouraged me to try it out one last time and figure out what was really wrong.

Djamila

[Edited at 2008-03-13 16:09]
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
ASP files should be translated manually Mar 13, 2008

Dear all,

There's no such thing as an ASP wizard or filter.

I have edited some standard ASP files and I think I can state that no CAT tool is smart enough to understand the difference between the translatable and untranslatable stuff. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

One solution is to ask your client to save the files as TXT, open the files in Word, highlight all the translatable items and save the file as DOC.

After transl
... See more
Dear all,

There's no such thing as an ASP wizard or filter.

I have edited some standard ASP files and I think I can state that no CAT tool is smart enough to understand the difference between the translatable and untranslatable stuff. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

One solution is to ask your client to save the files as TXT, open the files in Word, highlight all the translatable items and save the file as DOC.

After translation, you or the client could save the DOC to TXT and then to ASP.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Djamila Vilcsko
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
*asp files can be translated in Tag Editor Mar 14, 2008

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Dear all,

After translation, you or the client could save the DOC to TXT and then to ASP.

Hi Gerard,

I am not sure I agree with your view. After I had finally (!) figured out the initial problems with loading the files, I translated several *asp files with Tag Editor yesterday and it worked very well. I have to admit I got a bit confused at the beginning because there is some untranslatable stuff (not much though) indeed. However, I simply compared the text in Tag Editor with the actual website and soon figured out what needs to be translated and what not. Trados explicitly states that *asp files can be translated with Tag Editor so why save everything as *txt file and give the client trouble converting everything back? The reason why I got the job for the website translation (even though I did not offer the lowest price) was that I am able to translate the *asp file directly. My client's webdesigner does not know any German and it would be a lot of trouble for him figuring out where to put all the texts if the format was *txt format.

Best,
Djamila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate *asp files?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »