No more Trados demos for secret campers?
Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Mar 14, 2008

I am one of those guys who uses the Trados demo version to presegment files in order to process the tranlsation in a different application (DVX in my case). Could it be because of people like me that Trados does not have a downloadable demo version of their stuff available any more? Or is it somewhere hidden where I did not find it yet? Just curious...

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Spanish
No need to use a demo Mar 14, 2008

Hi,

Thre is no real need to use a demo. There are tools that can segment TTX files and produce uncleaned RTF from regular RTF without Trados.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Get fishy Mar 14, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
I am one of those guys who uses the Trados demo version to presegment files in order to process the tranlsation in a different application (DVX in my case).

Yep, I haven't seen the demo available for download anywhere for several months now. So when I recently had to do an urgent job on a strange computer, and TTX was one of the options offered, I promptly downloaded the fishy (of which the beta version is still free) and I was able to do the "Trados" job.

I think Rodolfo must have had a very, very late night, because he didn't post the link.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
google Mar 15, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Could it be because of people like me that Trados does not have a downloadable demo version of their stuff available any more?

i believe yes. hehe. and i'm one of those guys too.
i think those who buy/subscribe to trados do have the link to the 'demo'. and if you're lucky, you can find it on the net via googling.

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Mar 15, 2008

... for the valuable input. Any link for downloading this fishy thingie? Googling Swordfish and CAT brings up very curious things (including backlinks to this posting), but not really what we are looking for. Samuel, I saw your tools and macros on your homepage (which is interesting stuff!), but did not find a link there, either.

Anyway: how about the segmentation when using other applications than Trados? Any experience with that aspect?

By the way, I have seen that m
... See more
... for the valuable input. Any link for downloading this fishy thingie? Googling Swordfish and CAT brings up very curious things (including backlinks to this posting), but not really what we are looking for. Samuel, I saw your tools and macros on your homepage (which is interesting stuff!), but did not find a link there, either.

Anyway: how about the segmentation when using other applications than Trados? Any experience with that aspect?

By the way, I have seen that my question has been asked before: http://glg.proz.com/topic/98269

and it seems that the demo is still available for download, although well hidden.
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Spanish
Download link Mar 15, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
Any link for downloading this fishy thingie?

Hi,

You can download Swordfish from http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/swordfish.html

Take a look at the video tutorial that is available in the Tutorials section. It is important that you spend 10 minutes watching the video to understand how Swordfish works, as the documentation is not finished yet.

Regards,
Rodolfo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No more Trados demos for secret campers?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »