Freelance in Serbia
Thread poster: john_hughes
john_hughes
john_hughes
Local time: 07:02
French to English
Feb 18, 2008

Zdravo,

Sorry, my Serbian isn't so good (yet), so I hope you won't mind if I ask this question in English. I recently moved out to Belgrade (I have a Serbian girlfriend). I was working as a freelance translator (French to English) back in the UK and as such I was registered as self employed and paying any taxes if I earned over the year limit (around £5,000).

If I were to do the odd translation every now and then, either from people in Serbia, or from abroad, what do I
... See more
Zdravo,

Sorry, my Serbian isn't so good (yet), so I hope you won't mind if I ask this question in English. I recently moved out to Belgrade (I have a Serbian girlfriend). I was working as a freelance translator (French to English) back in the UK and as such I was registered as self employed and paying any taxes if I earned over the year limit (around £5,000).

If I were to do the odd translation every now and then, either from people in Serbia, or from abroad, what do I need to do to be legal and not get in trouble with the tax man? Do I need to register as a freelance translator, how do taxes work, is there a limit before you have to declare your earning etc. ??

My girlfriend tells me not to worry, generally freelance work is done 'cash in hand' and there's no need to worry about registering, getting a tax number for invoices etc. Coming from the UK, I'm aware of all the rules and regulations. I've already had an offer to do a job from someone within Serbia, but I'm worried about taking it on as if they ask for an invoice I won't have an official tax number or I will do the translation and not be able to get paid as I'm not legal.

How does it work here in Serbia? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Hvala puno na pomoci.

John
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:02
English to French
+ ...
why don't you keep your UK based business for a while ? Feb 19, 2008

I suppose you can keep a UK adress for your business and still work from there, at least for a few months. It is as if you were travelling for a few weeks/months ... you wouldn't change your registration.

When you know better about the situation in Serbia regarding taxes, freelancing etc. you can register here then.

PoveyTrans (X)
PoveyTrans (X)

Local time: 06:02
German to English
You might want to take a look... Mar 7, 2008

Dear John

Sounds to me like you need to take a look at this forum and maybe try contacting Mark Daniels up in Novi Sad. He runs this site and can occasionally be found in the Serbian < > English KudoZ pages.

http://forums.movedeast.com/

Best wishes

Simon

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Freelance in Serbia

Translation news in Serbia

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »