Thread poster: murat Karahan
murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:21
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 10, 2003

Would it be too much to ask for if I'd suggest that Browniz be awarded to forum postings? They are much more useful than empty peer grades, they consolidate the community aspect of Proz and they are informative. The only reason I upgraded to platinum was to ensure that my answers appeared instantly in the forums. This could probably boost participation as well.

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Great minds do really think alike! Aug 10, 2003

I've been pondering this a lot in the past days, and was about to post the suggestion into the ProZ.com Suggestion forum.

I totally agree that forum posters and forum participants, by the handily help they provide, and the lighthearted atmosphere they help to foster in the community, do deserve some recognition/gratification. I always find interest in their topics. Some extraordinary initiatives have been going on, particularl
... See more
I've been pondering this a lot in the past days, and was about to post the suggestion into the ProZ.com Suggestion forum.

I totally agree that forum posters and forum participants, by the handily help they provide, and the lighthearted atmosphere they help to foster in the community, do deserve some recognition/gratification. I always find interest in their topics. Some extraordinary initiatives have been going on, particularly in the French forum (Haiku contest, Alain's idea). Reading the French big 'storytellers' Jean-Luc, Alain, Thierry, VictorHugo, Sylvain, René -- just to name a few -- is always a pleasure. Leaving in the US does not always afford me with such delight, and I don't have time to read all the French press as I used to. So, these 'lecturers' always have my undivided attention.

I have to confess that between jobs, I take my pauses by sneaking in here to read posts!...

I don't know if you realized it, but topics have been increasingly beneficial, informative and fun lately -- in the main languages: French, Spanish and English!

Kudos to forum posters and forum PARTICIPANTS!

[Edited at 2003-08-24 16:38]
Collapse

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
Clarification Aug 10, 2003

I'd say more to the participants than to the forum posters, because what good would it be if the poster is left alone in a monologue...or gets no feedback at all?

What makes a forum interesting is the dynamics among the participants who stir the debates, rekindle the themes, make the twists and turns, and produce the ultimate fireworks...

[Edited at 2003-08-24 16:44]

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anything to increase participation Aug 10, 2003

How about 10 browniz to the poster and 5 to participants? And if the thread exceeds ten postings, additional points to the poster for bringing up an interesting topic. And if the poster gets no replies at all points should be deducted from his/her browniz total for bringing up a prosy and not a
pro-Z-y (I hate auto-text, won't I get a chance to make puns with P-r-o-z) debate. Just joking.
Or should there be a new point system like ForumZ?

CHENOUMI wrote:

I'd say more to the participants than to the forum posters, because what good would it be if the poster is left alone in a monologue...or gets no feedback at all?

What makes the forums interesting is the dynamics among the participants who stir the debates, rekindle the themes, make the twists and turns, and produce the ultimate fireworks...

[Edited at 2003-08-10 09:17]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:51
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Quite a novel idea Aug 10, 2003

Of late reference to the forum threads has become a sort of opium to me and many others I think. Already Alain has opened another thread in the French forum on this subject. To think that initially When my Browny points started declining in increments of ten, I expressed the doubt, whether participation in the forums costs one the brownies just as the bidding does. I was assured that it was not so. Now this. Getting brownies for the participation. How thrilling. While we are about it, how about ... See more
Of late reference to the forum threads has become a sort of opium to me and many others I think. Already Alain has opened another thread in the French forum on this subject. To think that initially When my Browny points started declining in increments of ten, I expressed the doubt, whether participation in the forums costs one the brownies just as the bidding does. I was assured that it was not so. Now this. Getting brownies for the participation. How thrilling. While we are about it, how about giving extra points for those participating in the forums of more languages, say in English, French and German at various times? I am too shy to give a concrete example of such a person!Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:21
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
I wholeheartedly support this idea! Aug 10, 2003

It's definitely in line with the ProZ.com structure to encourage all types of contribution to the general good with a tangible and useful reward.
One could even contemplate a minimum and grading.
For contributions better than minimum each reader could could tick preset numbers like 15,20,25 and 30 (10 being the minimum) and 6,7,8,9,10 for replies (5 being minimum), all being converted to BrowniZ, say 6 weeks later.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Trans
... See more
It's definitely in line with the ProZ.com structure to encourage all types of contribution to the general good with a tangible and useful reward.
One could even contemplate a minimum and grading.
For contributions better than minimum each reader could could tick preset numbers like 15,20,25 and 30 (10 being the minimum) and 6,7,8,9,10 for replies (5 being minimum), all being converted to BrowniZ, say 6 weeks later.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : [email protected]
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797
Collapse

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reason is a one-way road. Aug 10, 2003

(with multiple lanes if I may add so) Participants should be awarded points too. It shouldn't be just a mere coincidence that the community menu is right in the middle of the menus in the new design. I take great delight from the forums, more than anything at proz. This is a solitary profession and forums at proz and other sites compensate this for a certain extent.

CHENOUMI wrote:

I totally agree that forum posters and forum participants, by the handily help they offer and the lighthearted atmosphere they help to foster in the community, do deserve some gratification. I always find interest in their topics. Some extraordinary initiatives have been going on, particularly in the French forum (Haiku contest, for example), and reading the French big storytellers Jean-Luc, Alain, Thierry, VictorHugo, Sylvain, René -- just to name a few -- is always a pleasure. Leaving in the US DOES not always afford me with such delight, and I don't have time to read all the French press as I used to. So, these 'lecturers' always have my undivided attention.

I have to confess that between jobs, I take my pauses by sneaking in here to read posts!...

I don't know if you realized it, but topics have been increasingly beneficial, informative and fun lately -- in the main languages: French, Spanish and English!

BTW, Forum readers, I have some pending questions that I never got any response from you. Why is that? my open questions remain in the Spanish forum, Linguistics, and I have lost count of the rest...

Kudos to forum posters and forum PARTICIPANTS!

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
I don't believe my eyes.. Aug 10, 2003

It's a joke, right?
It must be a joke, you can't seriously believe that you can force people to reply to postings which are just not interesting enough. ProZ.cm fora, IMHO, are so busy and interesting compared with other competing sites that we really don't have to use such tricks to get people in.

Magda

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
Neither 'prosy'... nor lousy! Aug 10, 2003

And if the poster gets no replies at all points should be deducted from his/her browniz total for bringing up a prosy and not a
pro-Z-y (I hate auto-text, won't I get a chance to make puns with P-r-o-z) debate

Murat,

I have been having the idea of talking at length about forum postings for the past two months. I had in mind to share my observations in a comprehensive look at forum postings.
Without giving away too much, -- I still intend to share my view on this -- I can say from my experience that sometimes a very interesting post CAN get no response at all... I've seen it in Spanish and English and French. Nothing to do with the poster! I was left to wonder: "Is it a controversial topic?", "Is it because of the thread poster?" or "Is there something wrong with him/her?" because to me, those postings had interest. Other times, following the 'crowd', I refrain from participating in them as well, because I am afraid of alienating some people just in case there's some bad blood going on, and I'm unaware of it...

I have some examples that I can bring up in my futre post. I don't have time to go and look for them now...

I've been under a self-imposed 'moratorium' this week because I didn't want to monopolize the forum board, but boy, have you seen how posts came in fast and furious, in the meantime? It's hard to keep up with them: my brain cannot digest that much info, neither can my strained eyes stretch through so many posts and responses.

I can assure you and everybody else, that when I take the time to bring up an issue here, it's because I do find it interesting or simply I want to SHARE! I have so many good things to share, but...

Have a nice week!
Sandra:)

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
oculus reparo Aug 10, 2003

Magda, nobody would be forced to do anything.
Do KudoZ force anyone to answer questions, do Browniz force translators to give peer grades or enter terms into glossaries? I don't think actually I don't hope so. Browniz are awarded to contributions to the site, isn't it the case with forum postings as well? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a browniz hunter, I've gathered only 1600 Browniz so far in 3 years and would go on posting or replying in the forum section without any points. But just think
... See more
Magda, nobody would be forced to do anything.
Do KudoZ force anyone to answer questions, do Browniz force translators to give peer grades or enter terms into glossaries? I don't think actually I don't hope so. Browniz are awarded to contributions to the site, isn't it the case with forum postings as well? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a browniz hunter, I've gathered only 1600 Browniz so far in 3 years and would go on posting or replying in the forum section without any points. But just think of it this way, you get 3 Browniz for empty peer comments and none for pages of useful information. I don't think that anybody is going to reply to postings that are not interesting just for Browniz. There are easier ways to get Browniz as you know. Just go through all closed questions and click on agree and with one click you get three. That's why I suggested a new point system like ForumZ.

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

It's a joke, right?
It must be a joke, you can't seriously believe that you can force people to reply to postings which are just not interesting enough. ProZ.cm fora, IMHO, are so busy and interesting compared with other competing sites that we really don't have to use such tricks to get people in.

Magda

[Edited at 2003-08-10 16:26]
Collapse

Yubing YANG (X)
Yubing YANG (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
agree Aug 10, 2003

[Edited at 2003-08-11 18:35]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Two short observations Aug 10, 2003

I'm extremely pleased by the spirit of collaboration, helpfulness and constructive discussion in the ProZ.com forum area - do we really need a points system?

I believe the ProZ.com team has a number of top urgent programming tasks to attend (new KudoZ design and revamped jobs area, to name just a couple).

Best regards, Ralf

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
4 kudoz to murat´s idea! Aug 10, 2003

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

we really don't have to use such tricks to get people in.

Magda

Not a trick but a way of encouraging people to participate.

Am I objective enough to say I support this proposal? Au

[Edited at 2003-08-10 17:21]

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
maybe not urgent... but a great idea whatsoever! Aug 10, 2003

I don't think people in this thread mean this is an urgent matter, and we are not definitely browniz hunters. Though, as Mats pointed out before, I believe this proposal is full in line with the site philosophy and structure (which relays heavily on points systems after all)...

Yes let's go for high priorities first, but I agree this is a great idea and hope it is implemented some time in the future.

Rb

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I'm extremely pleased by the spirit of collaboration, helpfulness and constructive discussion in the ProZ.com forum area - do we really need a points system?

I believe the ProZ.com team has a number of top urgent programming tasks to attend (new KudoZ design and revamped jobs area, to name just a couple).

Best regards, Ralf

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Oculus reparavit ;) Aug 10, 2003

I see your point, Murat. However, I also see two issues in this thread: one is to give some recognition and gratification to all these forum posters who help us, teach us, enlighten us, amuse us and generally make our days better, but I also read your words "Anything to increase participation".

While awarding browniz doesn't seem to me the best way to increase participation in the fora (for the risk of 'empty posts'
... See more
I see your point, Murat. However, I also see two issues in this thread: one is to give some recognition and gratification to all these forum posters who help us, teach us, enlighten us, amuse us and generally make our days better, but I also read your words "Anything to increase participation".

While awarding browniz doesn't seem to me the best way to increase participation in the fora (for the risk of 'empty posts' similar to 'empty agrees' given to every answer just to collect some points, to name just one possible problem), giving some more recognition to the forum posters seems to be a really good idea.
What if we organise a vote for the best forum topic of the month/quarter/year, whatever? All members could vote for a topic, say from a short list of most popular ones and select the one which they regard as the most interesting, helpful, enlightening, funny? There could be several categories. The winner would be the poster of a winning topic, the award could be special announcement on the site and a special bonus in browniz. This is just a rough idea, certainly needs some refinements, so
what do you all think?

Magda

[Edited at 2003-08-10 19:03]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Award browniz for forum postings

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »