Suggestion: Award browniz for forum postings
Thread poster: murat Karahan
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 05:44
German to English
+ ...
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Aug 10, 2003

Although I do enjoy reading the posts (including the French "big storytellers") and contributing my two cents occasionally, I really don't see the need to create further incentives when things are working so smoothly. If I have something to post, then I will post it, regardless of whether I get a few BrowniZ for it or not – and if people do it purely for the BrowniZ, it would probably just drag the quality of the contributions down. Furthermore, I fail to see why people should be rewarded simp... See more
Although I do enjoy reading the posts (including the French "big storytellers") and contributing my two cents occasionally, I really don't see the need to create further incentives when things are working so smoothly. If I have something to post, then I will post it, regardless of whether I get a few BrowniZ for it or not – and if people do it purely for the BrowniZ, it would probably just drag the quality of the contributions down. Furthermore, I fail to see why people should be rewarded simply because they ask others for help – after all, their reward is in the valuable suggestions they receive from their colleagues.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on innovative new ideas, and I am very enthusiastic about the recent changes to the KudoZ system, but I do think in this particular case that things are fine the way they are. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Aug 10, 2003

Ruben Berrozpe wrote:
Yes let's go for high priorities first, but I agree this is a great idea and hope it is implemented some time in the future.
Rb

An example: the Spanish Forum is full of Legal Translators. More than once, posters ask specific questions that might be answered by lots of TPs.
How many people answer? One... two... That is the encouragement I´m talking about.
One (1) browniZ would be ok. And...in line with Proz structure, as Mats said.

Let´s try... Proz has always proved to be a very dynamic place.

Au (yes, under mouse arrest again on a sunny Sunday, grrr...)

[Edited at 2003-08-10 18:08]

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Agree with Ralf Aug 10, 2003

100%

Geneviève

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:44
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I promise never to cast spells again in Latin, I promise never... :)) Aug 10, 2003

You're right, that sentence (Anything to increase participation) is clearly open target for misunderstanding. My bad! Let me open it up a little, you don't need to look far to see that out of so many translators so few do post or reply. And when it comes to views of the postings it doesn't look sunny either. For me participation also includes the number of readers of the postings. Topics about payments have the highest number of views... See more
You're right, that sentence (Anything to increase participation) is clearly open target for misunderstanding. My bad! Let me open it up a little, you don't need to look far to see that out of so many translators so few do post or reply. And when it comes to views of the postings it doesn't look sunny either. For me participation also includes the number of readers of the postings. Topics about payments have the highest number of views And "voting for best forum topic", great idea. But I think the winners will always be from the Spanish forum
I totally agree with you Ralf that this is not a pressing matter. We don't need a point system, but hey, what if? This is just an idea.
Ian, how 'bout calling it an upgrade?
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:44
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I don't like the idea Aug 10, 2003

For me the KudoZ area is a help field, and forums are an exchange field, even if they are used to ask for and give advice and help.
I take a lot of pleasure from reading or participating in forums, and feel really free to do it if I want to.

The topics that have the more replies are usually controversial (meaning that there are opposite points of view about them), and not always "interesting".

In forums I've often seen people asking not to reward KudoZ for chosen
... See more
For me the KudoZ area is a help field, and forums are an exchange field, even if they are used to ask for and give advice and help.
I take a lot of pleasure from reading or participating in forums, and feel really free to do it if I want to.

The topics that have the more replies are usually controversial (meaning that there are opposite points of view about them), and not always "interesting".

In forums I've often seen people asking not to reward KudoZ for chosen answers. I fully disagree on this because it seems to me that it's just fair. The points don't go to any answer but just to one. Do you imagine receiving BrowniZ just for answering? I mean: KudoZ for the best answer and BrowniZ for the others. Some people would just answer to have points. This could also happen in forums too.

In the forums I prefer to be able to say "I agree" or "thanks" and nothing more because I don't feel compelled to look like if I wanted to say something interesting.
If such a feature was to be implemented, I think I'd like to have the option "not to earn Browniz for forums" just to keep my freedom without being likely to be criticized.
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't see the need Aug 10, 2003

I think Ian summed it up very well. I also think Ralf's point is right on target--the Proz team has other, bigger fish to fry.

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
I agree with Ralf and Ian Aug 10, 2003

I fully agree with Ian and Ralf's comments. Also, what puzzles me is how Proz would calculate how many points to give a person. Would a post with spelling mistakes get less points than something perfectly written for example? If this were the case, then that might put people off writing in languages other than their first language(s). Or would it be judged on the number of words??? As Alain Côté said in the French forum on this topic - this could lead to a Noah's Ark-like flood of forum postin... See more
I fully agree with Ian and Ralf's comments. Also, what puzzles me is how Proz would calculate how many points to give a person. Would a post with spelling mistakes get less points than something perfectly written for example? If this were the case, then that might put people off writing in languages other than their first language(s). Or would it be judged on the number of words??? As Alain Côté said in the French forum on this topic - this could lead to a Noah's Ark-like flood of forum postings!

Anyway, I don't see any great need to change the present system at the moment - at least in the fora I read and/or sometimes participate in.

Sheila
Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
We do not have to compete with Mc Donald Aug 11, 2003

Thanks Sandra (Chenoumi) for calling me a big “Story Teller” !
I take it as a compliment! Actually I never realized that I was “writing” so much on the various Forum. After checking it out, I must admit that it might be true, taking into account that I even dare to write on the Spanish and English ones, in spite of my insufficient knowledge of these two languages…This is the best clue that I am most certainly very talkative or even “long-winded”.

Now you said :<
... See more
Thanks Sandra (Chenoumi) for calling me a big “Story Teller” !
I take it as a compliment! Actually I never realized that I was “writing” so much on the various Forum. After checking it out, I must admit that it might be true, taking into account that I even dare to write on the Spanish and English ones, in spite of my insufficient knowledge of these two languages…This is the best clue that I am most certainly very talkative or even “long-winded”.

Now you said :

I totally agree that forum posters and forum participants, by the handily help they provide, and the lighthearted atmosphere they help to foster in the community, do deserve some recognition/gratification.

…and I am sorry to say that I totally disagree with this idea, which I am sure were suggested with the best of intentions.
As a matter of fact, when posting or contributing to a Forum, I do it with a lot of pleasure to help my colleagues, or entertain them, or share something that I loved. Doing it, I feel absolutely free to write anything I want to. I am quite confident that my other colleagues do the same.

Attributing some Brownies for it might « warp » the spirit of the Forum. I do not think that the contributors need some « incentives » to participate : just have a look on the Spanish Forum, they are number one for the number of contributions (and I also would say number one for its quality – thanks to Aurora Humaran and many others).

The only thing we need to keep a Forum « alive » is that people should not be afraid to participate, in spite of, sometimes, some lacks of fluency in the language… So do I…

The specificity of ProZ Forum is that a bunch of different nationalities with very different cultures « CAN » participate… This is one of our strong points and me think, we do not need rewards for it. These Forum include self reward and/or incentive : just by « existing ».

Claudia said :

I don't like the idea Aug 10

I would not say better…

Sheila said :

I fully agree with Ian and Ralf's comments. Also, what puzzles me is how ProZ.com would calculate how many points to give a person. Would a post with spelling mistakes get less points than something perfectly written for example? If this were the case, then that might put people off writing in languages other than their first language(s). Or would it be judged on the number of words???

I think that it is patently obvious… Is’ nt it ?
Collapse

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:44
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

I, too, disagree Aug 11, 2003

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

It's a joke, right?
It must be a joke, you can't seriously believe that you can force people to reply to postings which are just not interesting enough.

And not to forget the postings from trolls.. Why would those who post just to cause trouble deserve browniz when they don't even deserve attention?

It was an interesting, thought-provoking suggestion, but hopefully it will remain at the suggestion level.

Yubing YANG (X)
Yubing YANG (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oh, that's the point! Aug 11, 2003

Idea I share I give my applause. If everyone's genius enough with every innovation on each post, or the moderators just let smarter guys breath out, what a job!
Ruben Berrozpe wrote:

I don't think people in this thread mean this is an urgent matter, and we are not definitely browniz hunters. Though, as Mats pointed out before, I believe this proposal is full in line with the site philosophy and structure (which relays heavily on points systems after all)...

Yes let's go for high priorities first, but I agree this is a great idea and hope it is implemented some time in the future.

Rb

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I'm extremely pleased by the spirit of collaboration, helpfulness and constructive discussion in the ProZ.com forum area - do we really need a points system?

I believe the ProZ.com team has a number of top urgent programming tasks to attend (new KudoZ design and revamped jobs area, to name just a couple).

Best regards, Ralf

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You all have Forum points already Aug 11, 2003

As I asked before anyone objected "Or should there be a new point system like ForumZ?" I totally understand the objection to get browniz as it is very likely to be abused since browniz can be spend. But you all have a Forums (or Fora )section on your profile page but it's not public, I have 170 ForumZ (Only you can see this tab; visitors will not see your forum post... See more
As I asked before anyone objected "Or should there be a new point system like ForumZ?" I totally understand the objection to get browniz as it is very likely to be abused since browniz can be spend. But you all have a Forums (or Fora )section on your profile page but it's not public, I have 170 ForumZ (Only you can see this tab; visitors will not see your forum postings.)
And I can't see any reason why this part of the profile shouldn't be open to visitors. If the Forums section of the profile would be open to visitors, you could have a look at other postings of a person who's just sent an interesting topic/reply. Just as easy as you can look at their KudoZ points and questions.
In short, there's something that could be called ForumZ already it's just not public. That number could be used as ForumZ so there's no need for specific methods to count because it shows how many contributions were made. No BrowniZ would mean no abuse since such points can not be spend. This wouldn't put any pressure on anyone to participate or cause them to send uninteresting topics. And I believe that this wouldn't require lots of programming efforts. Again, I don't think that this is an urgent matter.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Interesting idea. I have put it to the moderators. Aug 11, 2003

Murat, I have raised your suggestion among the moderators. I will let you know their decision.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Something for the future Aug 11, 2003

The consensus among moderators is that this should not be a priority right now. We will keep it in mind for future implementation. Thanks, Murat!

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Henry Aug 11, 2003

I don't think that this has priority either. Thanks for considering it though.

Henry wrote:

The consensus among moderators is that this should not be a priority right now. We will keep it in mind for future implementation. Thanks, Murat!

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No, thank you. Aug 11, 2003

I totally agree with Ian, Cindy, SJH, and Claudia

Thierry explains very well why it is not a very good idea. Brownies to motivate writing and participation. Well that is sad if this is what is needed to prompt a comment on a poem or a funny pun, or to provide help to a request for a glossary !

Better than brownies - next is what ? I'd like to buy a vowel to write in the XXX forum (10 brownies for an "e", 9 for an "a" that is for French - for the value of a vowel would
... See more
I totally agree with Ian, Cindy, SJH, and Claudia

Thierry explains very well why it is not a very good idea. Brownies to motivate writing and participation. Well that is sad if this is what is needed to prompt a comment on a poem or a funny pun, or to provide help to a request for a glossary !

Better than brownies - next is what ? I'd like to buy a vowel to write in the XXX forum (10 brownies for an "e", 9 for an "a" that is for French - for the value of a vowel would have to be adjusted according to its frequency in each target language)

What about this other "motivator" : bartering.

Request : I'd like to buy a ENG/FR glossary on email and spam. I give 50 kudoz for a very good one, 40 for a good one and 30 for a French Canadian one - You know it can be similar but, then, "they" use some funny stuff sometimes

Reply : I have a very good "polluriel" glossary that I dont use, but I already have two offers at 70 kudoz - Can you do better?

We write or reply in the forums only because we feel like it. You do when you want to share something you liked or disliked with the others or just to express yourself; to initiate a discussion on any given topic ; to say something funny or silly in the eye of the be-reader.

As Claudia said, think about the impact it could have on encouraging or inhibiting controversial posters or topics -some can be interesting, a lot are just there to provoke - and I dont mean "thought-provoking ones".

Brownies to socialize, help or for fun - no thank you!

Jean-Luc

[Edited at 2003-08-11 18:34]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Award browniz for forum postings

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »