Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Visitors listed in the profile's visitors tab: What does viewer type "N/A [VIDed]" mean?
Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:11
English to Hungarian
+ ...
May 18, 2009

Visitors listed in the visitors tab usually come under the categories "Freelancer", "Outsourcer", "Outsourcer/Freelancer" "End client", and "Not logged in". Recently I saw a visitor whose type was given as "N/A" – i.e., "not applicable" – with the "verified identity" tick mark. My question is: who can be listed as such? Also, are their any other "viewer type" categories – for example "Staff"?

Attila

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-18 16:59 GMT]

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
"None of the above" account type May 18, 2009

Hi Attila,

Note that "N/A" refers to None of the above.

If you visit your Profile Updater, you will find the following account type options:

* Freelancer translator and/or interpreter
* Translation agency/company
* Freelancer and outsourcer
* Student
* End customer
* None of the above

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Luci
... See more
Hi Attila,

If you visit your Profile Updater, you will find the following account type options:

* Freelancer translator and/or interpreter
* Translation agency/company
* Freelancer and outsourcer
* Student
* End customer
* None of the above

Hope this explains.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Lucia May 18, 2009

for the prompt reply.

As it can be interesting to know who visited my profile, I wonder whether the introduction of some further categories would be beneficial. Off the top of my head, I can think of "in-house translator/interpreter", "staff member", and "translation software developer" as major groups not listed; perhaps there are some others. But of course a good case can be made for keeping the list as short as possible.

Kind regards,
Attila

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Misleading abbreviation May 18, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hi Lucia,

Please note that N/A usually means "not applicable" in English, which is why this abbreviation is at least potentially misleading given the meaning you indicated. You may wish to change the abbreviation accordingly (for example, to "NotA" or simply "Other").

Steffen

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I beg your pardon, Attila, May 18, 2009

I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a question that I wanted to ask since a long time: since we have Melissa as default IP address finder, there aren't any more indications of the terms people looked for. I mean, formerly I used to see the terms they were looking for and that I had happened to answer. Could we please have back this feature?

Nowadays, furthermore, most visitors seem to be "not logged in" and that's all. I don't mean here the crawlers that look into our pro
... See more
I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a question that I wanted to ask since a long time: since we have Melissa as default IP address finder, there aren't any more indications of the terms people looked for. I mean, formerly I used to see the terms they were looking for and that I had happened to answer. Could we please have back this feature?

Nowadays, furthermore, most visitors seem to be "not logged in" and that's all. I don't mean here the crawlers that look into our profile 10 times or more a day, but just people that we are not told where they come from.

I would find still more interesting to know WHY people visit my profile...
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:11
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Hi Attila May 18, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:
My question is: who can be listed as such? Also, are their any other "viewer type" categories – for example "Staff"?

Hi Attila, as far as I remember, neither Moderators' nor Staff visits to a profile are registered (in the sense they are not shown to the profile owner at all).

Uldis

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-05-18 21:32 GMT]

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Other !! May 19, 2009

Steffen Walter wrote:

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hi Lucia,

Please note that N/A usually means "not applicable" in English, which is why this abbreviation is at least potentially misleading given the meaning you indicated. You may wish to change the abbreviation accordingly (for example, to "NotA" or simply "Other").

Steffen

Precisely, N/A does mean "not applicable"; for a site dedicated to language and language professionals this is unforgivable.

unsmiley,
sylvie

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
"N/A" profile type label will be replaced by "Other" May 22, 2009

Steffen Walter wrote:

Hi Lucia,

Steffen

sylvie malich wrote:

Hi Lucia,

Precisely, N/A does mean "not applicable"; for a site dedicated to language and language professionals this is unforgivable.

unsmiley,
sylvie

As per your suggestions, the N/A profile type label will be replaced in short by Other since "Not applicable" is far from being the meaning of the N/A listed here.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Regards,

Lucia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Visitors page and information displayed May 22, 2009

Attila Piróth wrote:

As it can be interesting to know who visited my profile, I wonder whether the introduction of some further categories would be beneficial. Off the top of my head, I can think of "in-house translator/interpreter", "staff member", and "translation software developer" as major groups not listed; perhaps there are some others. But of course a good case can be made for keeping the list as short as possible.

Kind regards,
Attila

Thanks for the suggestion, Attila. This idea of adding new categories has been listed in our backlog of ideas and suggestions for future evaluation.

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Nowadays, furthermore, most visitors seem to be "not logged in" and that's all. I don't mean here the crawlers that look into our profile 10 times or more a day, but just people that we are not told where they come from.

I would find still more interesting to know WHY people visit my profile...

Note, Christel, that you can see the words searched that led to your profile by clicking on the links to Google provided in the Came From column in your profile's Visitors tab. This will lead you to the Google search conducted by the visitor, including the words used for such search.

For Not Logged In visitors, you are given an IP link that will provide you with information on the visitor's geographical location (Region, city and country).

You will find more information on the Visitors page here.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Lucia

Mauricio Zoch
Mauricio Zoch  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:11
English to Turkish
+ ...
N/A replaced May 26, 2009

Hi everyone,

I just replace "N/A" with "Others".

Best regards,
Mauricio

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mauricio May 26, 2009

Mauricio Zoch wrote:

Hi everyone,

Best regards,
Mauricio

Just a question: "Others", as you wrote, or "Other", as suggested by ... others?
IMO, "Other" would be slightly more appropriate.

Kind regards,
Attila

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Other May 27, 2009

Mauricio Zoch wrote:
Hi everyone,
Best regards,
Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,

This ought to be "Other", not "Others". Please kindly edit again.

Steffen

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Google link leads only to the actual "answered" page May 27, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Note, Christel, that you can see the words searched that led to your profile by clicking on the links to Google provided in the Came From column in your profile's Visitors tab. This will lead you to the Google search conducted by the visitor, including the words used for such search.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Lucia

Thank you, Lucia.
I encountered this problem myself many times when searching for a term via Google. This is very unnerving and discouraging: at the worst, you have to go back 10 pages or more until you find the term you look for, if the question is very old.

I don't know, though, whether this depends on Google or on ProZ. Anyway, it would be nice if this could be changed.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-05-27 20:57 GMT]

Mauricio Zoch
Mauricio Zoch  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:11
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sorry May 27, 2009

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the "Others", it was just a typo in my post... in the Visitor tab it should read "Other".

Best regards,

Mauricio

Ligia Dias Costa
Ligia Dias Costa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Getting back to this... May 28, 2009

I am sorry to get back to this, but lately this is the info I get from my visitors' page:

08:40 Not Logged In 84... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
07:29 Not Logged In 81... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
04:48 Not Logged In 74... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
01:28 Not Logged In 64... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
01:16 Not Logged In 84... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
00:07
... See more
I am sorry to get back to this, but lately this is the info I get from my visitors' page:

08:40 Not Logged In 84... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
07:29 Not Logged In 81... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
04:48 Not Logged In 74... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
01:28 Not Logged In 64... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
01:16 Not Logged In 84... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
00:07 Not Logged In 84... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
May 27 Not Logged In 66... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile
May 27 Not Logged In 66.84... (IP adress) Direct Link/Unknown Profile

and so on...

The info I get is the hour and the IP adress, nothing else. The type of viewer is "Not logged in" and "Came from" is "Unknown".

Can you improve this?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visitors listed in the profile's visitors tab: What does viewer type "N/A [VIDed]" mean?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »