Suggestions for organization of the forums
Thread poster: Arnaud HERVE

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:55
English to French
+ ...
Jun 8, 2009

Hi, I didn't come to this part of the site for a few months and I am a bit amazed at how haphazard, hesitant, goofy the administration of the Forums seems to be. I admit the visual aspect has improved, but finding what I want is now more difficult, and unnecessarily so.

I wish to make a few suggestions. I am thinking about renewing my membership or not, I wish to enjoy normally organized forums.

1) A universally admitted principle is that any bit of information I don't use is a pollution to me (I feel awkward having to write that).

Consequently, on the forums start page, presenting to me categories I am not interested in, and languages I don't understand, is a pollution. The criterion of last message should apply only WITHIN categories, not TO categories. I must not spend my time looking for my category, categories should always be at the same place.

I admit the former tabs were a bit ugly. What I suggest now is to add a new link "Forums" close to "Community", which will unfold into the list of categories.

2) In the column Last Post, clicking on the link brings me to the last poster's profile. Sincerely, I believe the link in Last Post should bring me to Last Post.

It is only after reading the message that, in 1% of cases, I will be interested in visiting the poster's profile. Most often, I will only read the message.

3) Do something about the breadcrumbs. The chain should offer me the link to the root of categories. That's what breadcrumbs are meant for : to find my way back to the start...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-08 13:54 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments Jun 8, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:
1. Consequently, on the forums start page, presenting to me categories I am not interested in, and languages I don't understand, is a pollution. The criterion of last message should apply only WITHIN categories, not TO categories. I must not spend my time looking for my category, categories should always be at the same place.

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you give some URLs?

As for me, I use primarily the "Recent posts" page:
http://www.proz.com/forum/categories/recent-recent.html
...and yes, it is somewhat annoying that I can't filter out the Trados posts, which acccount for about half of the new traffic every day (more or less).

2) In the column Last Post, clicking on the link brings me to the last poster's profile. Sincerely, I believe the link to Last Post should bring me to Last Post.

I can see your logic. FWIW, though, it is currently quite wasy to reach the page on which the last post is located.

3) Do something about the breadcrumbs. The chain should offer me the link to the root of categories. That's what breadcrumbs are meant for : to find my way back to the start...

I'm a great fan of breadcrumbs, but in this case I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. Can you give some more comprehensive examples?

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jun 8, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you give some URLs?

Well, see below.

Samuel Murray wrote:
As for me, I use primarily the "Recent posts" page:
http://www.proz.com/forum/categories/recent-recent.html
...and yes, it is somewhat annoying that I can't filter out the Trados posts, which acccount for about half of the new traffic every day (more or less).

That's what I meant. You should not only not see the categories you're not interested in, but also the languages you can't read.

I can see your logic. FWIW, though, it is currently quite wasy to reach the page on which the last post is located.

Link in Last Post should lead me to Last Post. Last page is not good enough.

I'm a great fan of breadcrumbs, but in this case I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. Can you give some more comprehensive examples?

At the moment I'm writing, breadcrumbs show me Forums about proz.com » Site forums ». They should show me Root » Forums about proz.com » Site forums »

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I like things as they are Jun 8, 2009

Actually I like the way things are organised now. I don't mind seeing some topic in Turkish or Russian. And don't mind seeing topics in categories I don't visit often. Sometimes things come up that are awfully interesting and may fall into categories I don't regularly visit or did not think about as possible interesting categories.

However, the last poster information should take you to the last post. I completely agree in that.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:55
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Select forums to be listed on the homepage Jun 8, 2009

Why don't you use this option in your profile's settings to determine what posts you want to see there?

BR
S

Edit: I have just checked and you can easily filter out SDL Trados support posts

[Edited at 2009-06-08 13:39 GMT]

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Customize Jun 8, 2009

Click customize in the forum box.
This takes you to site settings in your profile.
At the settings for the number of posts and order in which they appear click "customize further"
That takes you to all (AAALLLLL) the possible forum topics.
They're all checked by default. Uncheck all of them or some of them. Your home page will be so unpolluted, soeone will think they're in a national park!
Best,
Pawel Skalinski
Warsaw

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Elegant programming Jun 8, 2009

To me it is unnecessarily complex.

It is a universal standard of user interfaces, that when you want to see a category, you click on that category. People don't expect to rule out categories in their profiles settings.

You don't have to remember or anticipate what you don't want to see. You just click on what you want to see. And the opportunity to click on a category that you usually didn't visit must remain there, immediately available.

In my experience, the slimmer private spaces are, the better. People are not on a collective website to fiddle with their personal settings.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
On the home page maybe, but not on the most recent posts page Jun 8, 2009

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Why don't you use this option in your profile's settings to determine what posts you want to see there?

BR
S

Edit: I have just checked and you can easily filter out SDL Trados support posts

I hardly ever come into the forums via the home page - but I use the most recent posts page all the time, and I've never worked out how not to see all the Trados threads (and if Samuel - who's far more computer-savvy than me - can't do it, I'm willing to bet it can't be done).

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, by the way Jun 8, 2009

Since we are in suggestions, could I be so bold as to suggest Proz.com staff send me a message before changing a thread title that I have chosen and written?

I don't know, in some other places it would be called basic politeness. Especially if the previous title was not offensive and more specific, i.e. better.

If the title changer could identify him/herself too, that would be polite as well.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
No more SDL Jun 8, 2009

Marie-Helene:

I just unclicked SDL Trados Support in the Hompeage recent forum topics list and they're all gone, toast, history.
Are we talking about the same thing?

P.A.S.

[Edited at 2009-06-08 15:00 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:55
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Posters are expected to write detailed titles Jun 8, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

Since we are in suggestions, could I be so bold as to suggest Proz.com staff send me a message before changing a thread title that I have chosen and written?

I don't know, in some other places it would be called basic politeness. Especially if the previous title was not offensive and more specific, i.e. better.

If the title changer could identify him/herself too, that would be polite as well.

Please note that the new title "Suggestions for organization of the forums" is descriptive of the content of the thread, while the former title "Back to common sense, please" was not.

The edition of the thread's title was fully in line with site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/2#2 that states:

Regards,
Enrique

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Not talking about the same thing Jun 8, 2009

PAS wrote:

Marie-Helene:

I just unclicked SDL Trados Support in the Hompeage recent forum topics list and they're all gone, toast, history.
Are we talking about the same thing?

P.A.S.

I don't think we are, no - I'm not talking about the home page at all! When you go into any thread, on the left is a list of clickable options, the first of which is "most recent posts". That's the page I'm talking about.
If that's also the one you mean, please let me know how you manage to get rid of Trados threads, as I've no idea how.

[Edited at 2009-06-08 15:44 GMT]

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Specific Jun 8, 2009

Enrique wrote:
Please note that the new title "Suggestions for organization of the forums" is descriptive of the content of the thread, while the former title "Back to common sense, please" was not.

The title "Suggestions for organization of the forums", being located in the Site forums category, is devoid of meaning. In other words, it is as if you had written "Questions about Trados" in the Trados category.

The title "Back to common sense, please", by the articulation of "back", "common sense" and "please", was full of meaning, for those who have a command of English at a literary level. And it was a good introduction to what followed.

Consequently, by having changed a meaningful and specific title into a generic and non descriptive one, you have violated site rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/2#2 that states:

Enrique wrote:

I would be delighted if you could prove me wrong, Enrique.

[Edited at 2009-06-08 15:15 GMT]

Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Actually... Jun 8, 2009

I agree that "Suggestions for organization of the forums" is a much meaningful and specific than "Back to common sense, please" (which is pretty generic).

Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The titles of postings must be as descriptive of the posting's content as possible Jun 8, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

Enrique wrote:

The title "Suggestions for organization of the forums", being located in the Site forums category, is devoid of meaning. In other words, it is as if you had written "Questions about Trados" in the Trados category.

The title "Back to common sense", by the articulation of "back", "common sense" and "please", was full of meaning, for those who have a command of English at a literary level. And it was a good introduction to what followed.

The titles of postings must be as descriptive of the posting's content as possible, whenever possible, making the posting's main point in the title.

The thread you started contains suggestions for organizations of the forums, and therefore "suggestions for organizations of the forums" is a very clear and specific title.

On the other hand "Back to common sense, please", does not describe the content of the thread, even if the forum may help user infer that the issue deals with site forums.

Please note that a thread's title should describe its content, not serve as a good introduction to what follows.

By the way, please note that your comment on the title change is an example of posts that depart the discussion from the originally posted topic.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for organization of the forums

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search