Do you think editing topic subject is a good practice?
Thread poster: Shouguang Cao

Shouguang Cao
China
Local time: 05:23
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 9, 2009

I know rules are rules. We should obey, but we can also discuss about it, right?

In this post:

http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/136996-suggestions_for_organization_of_the_forums.html

Arnaud HERVE's topic subject is changed from "back to common sense, please" to "suggestions for organizing the forums." Arnaud shows his disapproval by arguing that:

The title "Suggestions for organization of the forums", being located in the Site forums category, is devoid of meaning. In other words, it is as if you had written "Questions about Trados" in the Trados category.

The title "Back to common sense, please", by the articulation of "back", "common sense" and "please", was full of meaning, for those who have a command of English at a literary level. And it was a good introduction to what followed.

I think his argument is valid.

I understand the reasoning behind editing subjects. But I think it won't be a problem at all if proz.com does not do that. People here are language professionals. There might be very improper subjects occasionally but editing subjects is not necessary.

[Edited at 2009-08-09 21:53 GMT]

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:23
SITE FOUNDER
Please use the support system to discuss admin actions Aug 9, 2009

Dallas Cao wrote:

I know rules are rules. We should obey, but we can also discuss about it, right?

Yes, but only via support ticket. Administrative actions should not be discussed in the forums.
In this post:

http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/136996-suggestions_for_organization_of_the_forums.html

Arnaud HERVE's topic subject is changed from "back to common sense, please" to "suggestions for organizing the forums."

I understand the reasoning behind editing subjects.

Do you? As outlined in the FAQ, there are specific reasons that the subject line must convey the content of the thread. (Can you imagine how difficult it would be to benefit from the archive if all 140,000+ forum topics had titles like "back to common sense, please"?)
15 - Why did my subject line change? [Direct link]

ProZ.com moderators and staff may edit subject lines that are not sufficiently descriptive of the content of a post. (This is stated in the posting and reply forms, and also in the forum rules.)

Why is this done? For one, subject lines are shown on the ProZ.com front page. Misleading or incomplete subject lines keep people from efficiently finding topics of interest to them. Subject lines also become part of the summaries mailed out to those tracking topics, and they provide help in finding old threads. For these reasons, it is important that subject lines be formulated to convey, as much as possible, the content of a thread.

Examples of bad subject lines:

- KudoZ (problem: too general)
- For all translators to read (problem: not representative of content)

Examples of good subject lines:

- Indemnity insurance - do I need it? Where can I get it?
- New freelancer seeks tips on translation software

Writing good subject lines is not always easy, so be creative!

As I say, admin actions should be discussed via the support system, and not in the forums. I am locking this thread.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you think editing topic subject is a good practice?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search