Prominence of 'note for those wishing to contact me'
Thread poster: Steven F Smith
Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:08
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Feb 3, 2010

I recently added a note via the settings>email preferences tab informing people that I would be unavailable and not answering emails for a certain period. This has not deterred several agencies from contacting me for quotes (via the 'send message' function), where they should have seen my message.

Although the message appears above the main form, there is nothing that particularly draws the eye there. Perhaps if the message were in red, or signalled with a large red ! or something similar then it would be less likely to be overlooked.

Just a thought.

Steven

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Are you sure it wasn't mass mail Feb 3, 2010

Sent to many candidates fulfilling certain criteria?

Btw. I cannot find this option - how exactly do you set it up?

Best Regards
S

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not mass mail Feb 3, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Sent to many candidates fulfilling certain criteria?

Btw. I cannot find this option - how exactly do you set it up?

Best Regards
S

Messages sent via your profile page have the sender info at the top, whereas batch emails have it at the bottom. I'm getting both types, so obviously some people aren't noticing my notice.

To set it up go to your profile page, 'settings' tab>email preferences , then under 'profile message preferences' there's a box saying 'You may enter a note that will be shown to those attempting to contact you via your profile'

The note is then visible to people who click on 'send message' on your profile.

Steven

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I've finally found it Feb 4, 2010

Quite useful - regarding your problem - probably it's just not visible enough

I guess it's not very big deal as going on holiday people normally set auto reply anyway.

S

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Autoreply is not always an option or appropriate. Feb 4, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Quite useful - regarding your problem - probably it's just not visible enough

I guess it's not very big deal as going on holiday people normally set auto reply anyway.

S

Sometimes, especially when very busy, I may want to filter out all proz traffic and just receive messages from existing clients, rather than having to waste time with polite replies.

I suppose I could set up a separate mailbox with autoreply for proz traffic. Since this would also receive kudoz, job notifications and all other messages from proz I'm not sure I want to generate that many junk responses. It would be so much easier if we could specifiy different email addresses /mailboxes for kudoz, enquiries, etc.

Steven

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
You can always use filter for proz.com Feb 4, 2010

I don't know what email are you using but most providers provide possibility to filter mail and either store filtered ,mail in separate folders or even forward it to another account.

BR
S

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
traffic hygiene Feb 4, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

I don't know what email are you using but most providers provide possibility to filter mail and either store filtered ,mail in separate folders or even forward it to another account.

BR
S

Don't know why I was speaking hypothetically! I do filter proz mail into a separate mailbox, but it's not possible to have the autoresponder differentiate between quote requests and all the other stuff like kudoz.

Steven

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prominence of 'note for those wishing to contact me'

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search