Receiving email from spoofed ProZ.com address
Thread poster: Williamson

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:16
Flemish to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2004

Whenever I post a topic on these forums and somebody answers, these answers are forewarded to my email (proz.bounce handler). However, I do not get the answers from other members or job-offers , but spam directed to another email address??
Can somebody explain this and how do you remedy this? I already missed a few job offers due to this spamming.

[Edited at 2004-02-03 13:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:16
English to German
+ ...
Check the e-mail settings in your profile, and on the forum Feb 3, 2004

Hi Williamson,
The settings for forum notifications are controlled on the main forum page:

Off = no notifications
Topics = notification sent for new threads posted in that forum
Posts = notification sent for each post in that forum

As far as job notifications are concerned, check your settings in My ProZ.com - My Settings - Email Preferences.

I don't get the connection between spam and forum messages - why do you think the two are related?

Best regards, Ralf

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:16
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bounce-handler Feb 3, 2004

Message: An image of a woman in bikini with publicity for slimming products.

[Edited at 2004-02-03 14:54]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Spoofing Feb 3, 2004

Hi again,
First of all, may I ask you to edit the post by removing all e-mail addresses and URLs, since this is only going to produce further spam.

It very much looks like a "spoofed" message, where the sender uses falsified information in order to circumvent spam filters. For instance, I often get messages showing one of my e-mail addresses as the sender (the thinking behind being that one would never filter one's own addresses...).

I will contact you through your profile - to find out if anything can be done, I will need the message including the IP headers. I will forward this to ProZ.com staff for further investigation.

Best regards, Ralf

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Did you already download this url-spoofing IE patch Feb 3, 2004

If not, simply go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-004.asp

This may help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving email from spoofed ProZ.com address

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search