Could anyone suggest a well done web-site on American culture?
Thread poster: valentina bigiarini

valentina bigiarini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:44
German to Italian
+ ...
Feb 22, 2004

Hy everyone living in the u.s.a. or well knower of american culture !
I must help my sister writing a student-paper about generalities of american culture like school, politics and everyday life in the u.s.a.
Could anyone of you suggest me a well done web-site where we can get some of this ?
thank you very much for help !
valentina

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:44
Spanish
+ ...
American Culture Feb 22, 2004

Hello Valentina,

You could try to look into different american collegues web sites. They offer very detailed guidelines for their international students.

Text Google search @ .edu domains

Other links:

http://www.utmem.edu/international/living.html
http://studentservices.engr.wisc.edu/international/incoming/living/

Good luck,

Cali

Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
US Embassy Feb 23, 2004

Why not check out the embassy website: www.usembassy.it

Usually very informative.

Good luck

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
American or USA cultur? Feb 23, 2004

The only american "cultur" I know comes from South America or Mexico.

America is big!

Mary Brix wrote:

Why not check out the embassy website: www.usembassy.it

Usually very informative.

Good luck

Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dear Toledo, Feb 26, 2004

Valentina started her question with "Hi everyone living in the U.S.A." which leads me to believe she is referring to US culture. And yes, there is such a thing. And yes, America is vast.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Wrong botton Feb 29, 2004

in the first place, my excuses, I did not want to comment your answer but the question. My intention has been simply to remember the citizens of this country that those small details are causing a lot of damage to the world-wide situation.

My excuses again

Mary Brix wrote:

Valentina started her question with "Hi everyone living in the U.S.A." which leads me to believe she is referring to US culture. And yes, there is such a thing. And yes, America is vast.

Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
OK, no hard feelings Feb 29, 2004

I understand perfectly how easy it is to oops, push the wrong button or use the wrong words when a topic dear to my heart flashes before my eyes - I sympathize with the point you want to make. And while I would truly like to ask you questions about how Americans who are not US citizens reason on the issue, I also realize this is not the forum.

God bless the American continents - all three of them!

eccotraduttrice
United States
Local time: 09:44
Italian to English
+ ...
the difficulty of generalizing Jul 20, 2004

There are so many subcultures within the United States that it is really extremely difficult, if not impossible, to generalize about everyday life here. I think your sister's teacher is not very well-informed! I hope you are able to find something helpful anyway.

Take care,
Karena

valentina bigiarini wrote:

Hy everyone living in the u.s.a. or well knower of american culture !
I must help my sister writing a student-paper about generalities of american culture like school, politics and everyday life in the u.s.a.
Could anyone of you suggest me a well done web-site where we can get some of this ?
thank you very much for help !
valentina

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try American Studies or Comparative American Studies programs Jul 21, 2004

Hi Valentina,

While many of the other posts may have merit, they don´t seem to address the question you were asking with much relevancy. Your question is a broad one. A thought that occurred to me is to check out U.S. universities´ and colleges web sites for American Studies or Comparative American Studies programs. The college I graduated from, Oberlin College in Ohio, recently started up a Comparative American Studies program that attempts to look at U.S. culture through the point-of-view of those people who are typically not included or marginalized within the culture. Very interesting. You can go to http://www.oberlin.edu and do some searching on it. This may lead to you some other links which will help you.

Saludos de America (la zona sur!)

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could anyone suggest a well done web-site on American culture?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search