Staff: New forum rules posted
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:52
SITE FOUNDER
Mar 2, 2004

The forum rules have been updated. Additional rules have been added, and more information concerning moderators and their role is provided.

    http://www.proz.com/forumrules

If you notice violations of these rules, please either call attention to them, or report offenses to the forum moderators.

Thanks!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:22
English to Tamil
+ ...
How about having a clear link to the moderators at the thread ends of each forum? Mar 3, 2004

In KudoZ questions there are links provided to moderators through a separate button at the bottom. Something similar will be desirable for the forum postings as well.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-03-11 14:07]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:52
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Forum rules available from all forum pages Mar 3, 2004

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

In KudoZ questions there are links provided to moderators through a separate button at the bottom. Something similar will be desirable for the forum postings as well.
Regards,
N.Raghavan



I agree with Narasimhan.

Also, the new Forum Rules of Etiquette, would be much more visible if made available from each forum page, similar to what has been done in the KudoZ pages.

See the top of the page http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewrecent
but implemented in every forum content page...

Gianfranco


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
In some way they are already (the rules) Mar 3, 2004

When replying, the rules are visible at the top, as we're supposed to have read them in order to write something in the forums.
I'd like to have them when reading too.

As for moderators, long ago we used to have the name of the moderator under the name of the forum (when reading) linked to his/her profile.

For this one, for instance, it would be

Forums > Forums >
Staff: New forum rules posted
Mod: Henry

Of course, we know how to find the Mod of the forum, going to the main page of forums and looking for the forum where we were and looking, it just would be more practical.

Dear Jason and Henry, do you think that we're never satisfied and want always more and more? You're right, but it's so pleasant to have a kind of Santa Claus working for us and giving presents almost every day


Direct link Reply with quote
 
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 17:52
French to English
+ ...
too restrictive IMHO Mar 3, 2004

With all respect to Henry and all moderators, I think the detailed title and "staying on topic" is way too strict. "Normal" conversation in the real world allows for a flow of ideas. It is too restrictive for people like ourselves, who possess a broad array of interests. This profession demands it!

I hope I am not offending anyone. I agree with being PC but overly-restrictive atmospheres do not lend themselves to FUN!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:52
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Rules were already in place Mar 3, 2004

Rita Heller wrote:

I think the detailed title and "staying on topic" is way too strict.

The new rules really represent no change. They have simply been updated to better reflect how we had been moderating and adminstering.

What's more, the two rules you highlight were in the previous rules, too. Note that the word 'should' is used (rather than 'must', etc.) in those... I think you will find that moderators and staff continue to enforce these and the rest of the rules with good judgment.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 02:52
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
rules Mar 3, 2004

A definite improvement, thank you. Especially for the part stating more clearly the roles assumed by forum mods. Some people are not really at clear with that.

As previously pointed out, there is room for some helpful additions, such as a link to forum rules on each main forum page. A note indicating who the forum mod(s) is / are for those still confused by the "army" of mods.

I like the new format a lot, the characters are larger and easier to read and the list is more detailed and it's easier to make reference to it.

Warm regards.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:52
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Some minor details... Mar 3, 2004

Sorry to be a pain, but I find some titles or sections not well formulated, in particular the first because of its prominent position on the page:


1. Write detailed titles

Posting titles should be as descriptive of their content as possible. If they are not, they may be edited. (For more info, see the FAQ.)

I would have said...

1. Post with an appropriate title

Posting titles should be as descriptive of their content as possible. If they are not, they may be edited. (For more info, see the FAQ.)

because a title is very short and can never be "detailed", but it should be pertinent and reflect the content of the posting.



There are also some other minor details, for example:


5. No shouting

"Shouting" is considered impolite and is discouraged; lower case should be used unless there is a reason to capitalize.

I would have said...

5. No shouting

Writing in all capitals is the equivalent in Internet etiquette of "shouting". Please, avoid unless there is a reason to capitalize.

because this formulation explains the netiquette convention behind the request of not writing in all capitals, rather than assuming that it is already well known by everybody.




and also the following two titles...

7. Professionalism
and
12. No client discussions

could become:

7. Use a respectful language
(professionalism is not the right word for inviting the users to maintain a respectful language in all postings)

and
12. No discussions about named clients


bye
Gianfranco


[Edited at 2004-03-03 15:06]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:52
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Rules provide freedom Mar 3, 2004

Rita Heller wrote:

It is too restrictive for people like ourselves...


Hello Rita,
I understand your point. However, I see rules as the way to freedom.

IMHO, rules protect our rights and freedom. Consider a place that has absolutely no laws; no governance; no rules. Would that be a place where people would have true freedom? No! There would be terrible chaos and "bloodshed" and that place would undoubtedly be a terrible place to be.

I used to be a school teacher for seven years. To be succesful as a teacher and to have successful students, we all needed to operate within a set of rules.

We have rules so that we can live within a good and necessary framework. Within this framework we can find true freedom to live as we were created to live. I see that rules and freedom are not mutually exclusive. As a matter of fact, the opposite is true. IMHO, Rules provide freedom and protection as well.

Monika


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Re: titles never to detailled Mar 13, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:
...because a title is very short and can never be "detailed", but it should be pertinent and reflect the content of the posting.


An aside: when I first posted to the forums I was reprimanded because my titles were too short and hence not descriptive enough. I have since learnt to be verbose when writing titles for my posts, although I still prefer a posting system in which the titles are short.

Is the title meant to be a brief indication of what the post is about, is it meant to be a one-sentence summary of the post? I think current practice on Proz.com is the latter, which is why many titles are longish instead of briefish.

[Edited at 2004-03-13 07:57]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
About quoting style Mar 13, 2004

Henry wrote:
The forum rules have been updated.


I'm not a moderator of any forum but I'd really like to see a point in the forum rules about quoting style. I often see two types of quoting wrongs:

1. Someone might quote an entire long post of the previous person and simply write "I agree" at the bottom. As if the previous post is not visible. This is really annoying.
2. I have no problem with nested quotes, but often the nesting is not really necessary, because often the current poster's comments relate to the directly previous poster's post only. Am I making sense?

I'd say (you can rewrite):
* Don't quote entire posts.
* Resist the temptation to quote if the quoted person's post is directly above yours.
* Quote only a very short piece if the only reason you're quoting is to indicate whose post you are replying to.
* Don't nest quotes unless absolutely necessary.
* Feel free to trim nested quotes for the sake of brevity (some might not agree with this).

My2c.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Valters Feists  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:52
Latvian to English
+ ...
Before posting, choose the most appropriate forum Apr 13, 2004

Henry wrote:
If you notice violations of these rules, please either call attention to them, or report offenses to the forum moderators.


There's quite a widespread neglect of the "Stay on point" rule (#2).

Examples:

- a thread about CVs posted in the Techniques forum (while it would definitely belong in Getting Established, or, Being Independent);

- a question about any web forums posted in the forum about ProZ forums.

I think a tree-like "map" of forums would help users to understand what belongs where. Many websites have tree-like "site maps". It would be easy to design because ProZ forums already are well structured topics-wise.

Moderators, in their turn, might need to be allowed to move threads to those forums where they belong (the user who posted in a 'wrong' forum would get an automated notification about the move done, the thread's old URL and new URL).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:52
English to German
+ ...
Moderators can move topics Apr 13, 2004

Hi Valters,
Moderators, in their turn, might need to be allowed to move threads to those forums where they belong (the user who posted in a 'wrong' forum would get an automated notification about the move done, the thread's old URL and new URL).

Forum moderators can move topcis, and do so - that said, we can't see everything: hence Henry's suggestion to drop a line to mods in case of need. BTW the URL doesn't change when moving between forums.

Best regards, Ralf


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Staff: New forum rules posted

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search