Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Please tell me how to get a moderator to squash abusive users!
Thread poster: Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:45
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Answer to José Luis Villanueva Senchuk (Pepelu) Mar 25, 2002

Thank you for your answer!

\"... and has \'10 (not 100) questions in 1 hour\'...is very possible\"

\"On top of the abusers, we find people who are just eager to get points\"

I dont feel like a target, should I?

\"...that attitude attracts more and more abusive people\"

I doubt it but maybe these guys are more prevalent in the ita/esl/por > < eng section than where I\'m active.

\"It is a chain, a circle
... See more
Thank you for your answer!

\"... and has \'10 (not 100) questions in 1 hour\'...is very possible\"

\"On top of the abusers, we find people who are just eager to get points\"

I dont feel like a target, should I?

\"...that attitude attracts more and more abusive people\"

I doubt it but maybe these guys are more prevalent in the ita/esl/por > < eng section than where I\'m active.

\"It is a chain, a circle: more abusive questions flooding the system equals less speed/system overload.\"

As indicated, I have not seen any \'flood\' but: Maybe one idea would be to give every ASKER one line instead of one for eash QUESTION. Thus one could avoid feeling flooded and if the asker is an \'abuser\' one could simply skip him/her.

The essence: Don\'t kill! Avoid, skip, ignore or try to discourage, but don\'t kill!

Best regards

Mats

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:45
English to German
+ ...
Mats, I'm sorry, but KudoZ etiquette says something else Mar 25, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-25 20:42, MatsWiman wrote:

Dear Hussein,

We\'ve had a few cases like that in my SC\'s and at time I have responded (not as a moderator, but as a participator):

\"This is a job. Post it as such\" but I never squashed/killed it. If someone wants to have go at it, why should I be disturbed? This is a help page where we all learn and help.

So let it be!

For... See more
Quote:

Dear Hussein,

We\'ve had a few cases like that in my SC\'s and at time I have responded (not as a moderator, but as a participator):

\"This is a job. Post it as such\" but I never squashed/killed it. If someone wants to have go at it, why should I be disturbed? This is a help page where we all learn and help.

So let it be!

For offensive questions, see my \'black curtain\' suggestion above

Best regards

I\'m just quoting from the KudoZ rules of etiquette which Henry put up (and which, I believe, work well):

\"The KudoZ system is to be used for terms help only. Making announcements, or otherwise misusing the KudoZ platform, is prohibited.\"

\"It is also not appropriate to comment on an asker\'s decision to post a certain question; policing the site is an optional role of moderators, not of regular members.\"

If you believe these rules should be changed, let\'s discuss - I believe they\'re ok, but then all moderators should adhere to them.

Kind regards, Ralf

Collapse

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:45
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good point Mar 25, 2002

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-25 22:21 ]

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 10:45
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Do we cut them some slack if they're in love? Mar 25, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-25 18:21, GoodWords wrote:

A hypothetical case:

Translator #1 posts 15 consecutive queries (words and phrases totalling 60 words). They were taken from a 5000 word text which she has spent the last 3 days working on. These queries represent the only doubts she had in the whole text.

\"Translator\" #2 posts 15 consecutive queries, consisting of phrases and sentences totalling 60 words... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-25 18:21, GoodWords wrote:

A hypothetical case:

Translator #1 posts 15 consecutive queries (words and phrases totalling 60 words). They were taken from a 5000 word text which she has spent the last 3 days working on. These queries represent the only doubts she had in the whole text.

\"Translator\" #2 posts 15 consecutive queries, consisting of phrases and sentences totalling 60 words. Put them together, and you have the complete text.

Are these 2 persons equally \"guilty\" of abuse? I don\'t think so. It\'s not the volume of queries, it\'s the density. If you can reconstruct the entire text on the basis of the queries, then it\'s someone using KudoZ to get a free translation. (But even then, do we cut them some slack if they\'re in love?)

[LOL] I regularly answer questions in the Eng>Heb subcommunity, where the asker feels they need a tattoo to prove to their loved one they really care. I can\'t see the point and I dislike tattoos, but they are fair questions and I answer them. But if their content is offensive, I have no compunction about squashing them and the same goes for anything similar.

You rule of thumb above is excellent. I think (as Ralf said) that it\'s pretty easy to see whether it\'s a genuine professional who is posting residual questions from a big job (which I have done once or twice myself), or someone posting the whole job in chunks: the tell-tale sign for the latter is the posting of paragraphs or a couple of sentences at a time.

Mats\' assertion that very little flooding occurs is simply counterfactual.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-26 17:49 ]Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
to Cid Mar 25, 2002

Quote:

I agree! I must apologise for making remarks on the \"professionalism\" of others.

What the heck! We sometimes judge others without knowing a single thing about them, I\'m going to stop being childish in that respect. Thanks for opening my eyes, Werner! (And apologies to Marcus for a previous remark on his documentation abilities...)

None needed. I usually tune out (and skip rope) if t... See more
Quote:

I agree! I must apologise for making remarks on the \"professionalism\" of others.

What the heck! We sometimes judge others without knowing a single thing about them, I\'m going to stop being childish in that respect. Thanks for opening my eyes, Werner! (And apologies to Marcus for a previous remark on his documentation abilities...)

None needed. I usually tune out (and skip rope) if the discussion becomes off-tangent, which I may have precipitated inadvertently when I wrote my initial response at the heat of the moment. So Mary can un-can it.

I will never judge anyone based on his work habits or the questions he posts. Everyone here has his merits and I respect that. I will never comment about someone\'s abilities because it is not my place.

All moderators are now aware of the true nature of most regular members and, believe me, there is a lot going on behind the scenes. So sarcastic side-swipes from some members are mostly ignored.

I\'ll let you in a secret: if you want something done on this site, it will do you no good if you adopt a stentorian tone and moralizing attitude, as we often see. (Let me point out that this \'you\' is a general \'you\'). The person who shouts loudest, and often, is mostly treated at arm\'s length and not heeded.

We at the De>En, Fr>En and Ru>En SCs have achieved a level of camaraderie that works. It\'s mostly the first 15-20 leaders of the community who post and answer Kudoz so instances of abuse are almost nil. If a member decides to post 30 questions, I will not even bat an eyelid. I will try my darndest to help because I myself have received help.

Last week someone from South Africa posted 30-40 questions in En>De. Members hollered. Ralf, my co-mod, never pre-judging and always giving people the benefit of the doubt, wrote the alleged perpetrator. It turns out that the guy is building his own glossary and simply needed help in questions that he has accumulated over time. All it took was a simple e-mail. There usually is a simple reason.

It\'s sad that one member sent the guy a highly offensive e-mail, accusing him of transgressions, breathtaking in their loopiness and bandying words like \'criminal\', \'offensive\', etc.

I rarely visit the Es>En SC, perhaps only to answer technical questions. You seem to have reached a tacit consensus about limits and paradigms of abuse. That\'s your privilege. But don\'t cry foul when somebody ignores your warnings and goes ahead and answers. You better take that to heart now since it will ALWAYS happen. Best to let it be.

Other points to make later on...

Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Misleading title Mar 26, 2002

Quote:

Dear Hussein,

So let it be!

For offensive questions, ... See more
Quote:

Dear Hussein,

So let it be!

For offensive questions, see my \'black curtain\' suggestion above

Best regards

Mats\' title for this posting was

\"If you feel it\'s abuse you\'re allowed to react but not to squash (to kill)\"

In fact, those who are authorised to squash are allowed to squash, by definition. That\'s what the words mean.

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:45
French to English
Many possible reasons for lots of questions Mar 26, 2002

KA - Marcus clearly told you why he sends a slew of questions in a short time -- that is how he prefers to work. I do the same. I keep a list of my questions and then send them.

KA - Your comments are quite catty in my opinion. Professional translators use many resources to find answers to their questions. Marcus probably uses ProZ as ** one of his resources **, as do many other people. Not only that, professionals use resources for many reasons, not only because they are n
... See more
KA - Marcus clearly told you why he sends a slew of questions in a short time -- that is how he prefers to work. I do the same. I keep a list of my questions and then send them.

KA - Your comments are quite catty in my opinion. Professional translators use many resources to find answers to their questions. Marcus probably uses ProZ as ** one of his resources **, as do many other people. Not only that, professionals use resources for many reasons, not only because they are not sure of something – sometimes they want to confirm, sometimes they are brain dead for working for a long time on a given project, sometimes they can\'t for the life of them think of a term they use all the time.

KA - I think you should see this site as a resource and a place for helping colleagues. If you don\'t want to help someone because you don\'t agree with their methods, don\'t! But you have no business questioning a colleague\'s professionalism based on your opinion.

I can´t believe somebody who calls himself a professional can admit being dependent on the KudoZ to such an extent. Don´t you have other resources, Marcus, to do your translations? How can a real translation professional possibly need to post more than, say, 10 or 20 questions in less than an hour? I can understand some exceptions like the one mentioned by Jacek, but considering the way you say it (\"that´s how I prefer to work\"), it seems to me it is a regular practice of yours to go and post 15 questions in a row. Maybe you should get some extra documentation skills, mate...

KA - That is your personal opinion, but it is not shared by all. I don\'t visit that often because I find it difficult to navigate the threads, but from what I have seen, Marcus is very helpful to others. I think it is disrespectful of you to post such comments.

I personally consider it disrespectful to post so many questions in a short time span. I would feel like a scrounger if I did so and I will never incur in such a practice. Plus, what quality are you going to get in the answers posted to you, if you´re stressing out the KudoZ community?

Anyway, the point here is that we are actually getting people who get a WHOLE text translated for free thanks to KudoZ, and surprisingly there are always members ready to put up with it because they are hungry for points.

I wish there weren´t any points involved in the KudoZ. We would then see who is genuinely interested in building up that \"glossar of glossars\" (he he) Mats mentions.

There should definitely be other means of squashing abusive questions. If I´ve got a sleepless night I don´t expect the moderator to have it too, so how do I report and stop an abusive use of KudoZ? Because posting a whole text IS abusive, it still surprises me some of you guys think it´s perfectly normal.

KA - I certainly hope Henry does not implement new rules based on your opinions!

I urge Henry to implement new rules for KudoZ including a limit in the number of questions per person.

[/quote]

Karin Adamczyk
Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-26 00:50, kadamczyk wrote:

I think you should see this site as a resource and a place for helping colleagues. If you don\'t want to help someone because you don\'t agree with their methods, don\'t! But you have no business questioning a colleague\'s professionalism based on your opinion.

From what I have seen, Marcus is very helpful to others. I think it is disrespectful of you to post such co... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-26 00:50, kadamczyk wrote:

I think you should see this site as a resource and a place for helping colleagues. If you don\'t want to help someone because you don\'t agree with their methods, don\'t! But you have no business questioning a colleague\'s professionalism based on your opinion.

From what I have seen, Marcus is very helpful to others. I think it is disrespectful of you to post such comments.

I certainly hope Henry does not implement new rules based on your opinions!

Karin Adamczyk

Karin, I obviously “see this site as a resource and a place for helping colleagues”! Have I said any of the contrary? I signed up two months ago and since then I’ve spent an average of 4 hours a day helping others, reading and posting issues in this forum, etc. You have NOT read the three pages of answers (including an apology I wrote ages ago) posted to this issue. We are NOT discussing here Marcus\' professionalism. Nor Mats\' or anybody else!!! That was far from my intention, I just made ironic remarks to their not less controversial postings!

But that\'s completely out of the issue. What we want to establish here is:

1. Are new KudoZ rules needed, and which?

2. Should we have a limit in the number of questions per individual? I\'m sorry some of you guys work like that. I believe most people consider an abuse to post 15 questions in half an hour, so (if you have some respect towards your colleagues) you might have to get used in the future to distribute your set of questions along a wider time span OR, A MUCH BETTER OPTION:

3. We might have to give some kind of privilege to KudoZ members as opposed to \"outsiders\" or anonymous askers. I\'m not a Platinum member but I wouldn\'t mind Platinums were given the right to ask as many questions as they want. You want something in return for what you pay and that would be a wonderful deterrent for abusers.

4. Criteria to select a moderator: could a moderator be democratically voted out if the majority of the members of that language pair disagree with their methods or the moderator systematically ignores requests for squashing?

5. Why should we leave squashing in the hands of one single moderator if the moderator is not alert 24 hours a day? Could we have a pre-squashing facility based on a number of votes from KudoZ members (Platinum members, members with more than 1000 KudoZ Points or elected members for that purpose)?

6. New criteria for squashing or pre-squashing questions: for instance, more than ten members agree that it\'s abusive, asker is known to have been abusive in the past, asker is not a “renowned” member of KudoZ and s/he’s posting more than 20 “suspicious” questions in a row...

7. Should we require that the asker always provides an e-mail address or at least that the moderator or “vice-moderators” can see it to warn the asker of an abusive practice before the others begin to be rude in their agreements or disagreements?

Karin, you said: \"I certainly hope Henry does not implement new rules based on your opinions!\", but it is NOT just my opinion that new KudoZ rules should be implemented. Read all comments before you rush into a conclusion.

One thing is clear here, and think about this before you begin attacking my point (2): If I had worked side by side with Marcus in KudoZ every day and I knew that he\'s an active and helpful member of this site, do you think I\'d squash any of his questions if I considered them reasonable? I think we all know the kind of abuser we are talking about: they tend to be non-members or have an empty profile!

To everybody: let\'s not turn the forum into a battlefield! Do not point at specific individuals and please get to the point.

Thanks!

Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
to Cid (2) Mar 26, 2002

Too keep this discussion on track, I\'ll comment only on your valuable suggestions. Karin was simply voicing the opinion of most \'senior\' members who have been members since the inception of this site.

Probably some fine-tuning but the basic rules are adequate.

2. Should we have a limit in the number of questions per individual?

No, absolutely no limit. This has been
... See more
Too keep this discussion on track, I\'ll comment only on your valuable suggestions. Karin was simply voicing the opinion of most \'senior\' members who have been members since the inception of this site.

Probably some fine-tuning but the basic rules are adequate.

2. Should we have a limit in the number of questions per individual?

No, absolutely no limit. This has been taken up before and the consensus is there should be no limit. Personally, I insist on no limits. Let\'s say you set a 10-word limit. What then if you really need that 11th word and the deadline is due? In truth, why will 30-40-even 50 questions bother you? If you feel that you\'re \"doing somebody else\'s work\", don\'t do the work then! It\'s very simple. If other people elect to help the asker and \"do his work\" then that\'s their absolute privilege and not yours to infringe upon.

This includes homework, simple love letters even entire sentences from translators who allegedly \"are in over their heads\".

Just remember one thing: you don\'t agree with the method? Go do something else! You feel you\'re being taken advantage of? Go do something else!

If somebody answers, then don\'t huff and puff, screaming foul. Respect the fact that people will define abuse differently from you.

3. We might have to give some kind of privilege to KudoZ members as opposed to \"outsiders\" or anonymous askers.

This has also been pointed out before. There is no blanket explanation for outsiders or anonymous askers. Many are legitimate translators who choose not to put up a profile (I personally know many) and/or remain anonymous. Again, don\'t judge them by the fact that YOU choose to have a visible profile. These outsiders can also be people referred from partner sites who have legit linguistic issues, and some may even hire pros from Proz after receiving satisfactory answers. Restricting their access would be detrimental to our economic gain.

Now I admit that there are stray outsiders, pranksters who delight in posting racist, etc. words. Time to squash then. No problem with that. But blanket restrictions for all non-members is not the solution.

4. Criteria to select a moderator: could a moderator be democratically voted out if the majority of the members of that language pair disagree with their methods or the moderator systematically ignores requests for squashing?

I guess that\'s possible but this has (almost) happened only once (in the Dutch>English SC). History: when Henry was setting up the site, he posted an ad asking for volunteers to help as moderators. Most current mods were picked then, 3 years ago. Most key language pairs now have a mod, the major ones even have two (Fr>En, De>En, It>En). Now who has offended you so much that you want him/her voted out? I\'m telling you now, this is a lost cause. I\'m fiercely loyal to my fellow mods because I know the good work they do.

5. Why should we leave squashing in the hands of one single moderator if the moderator is not alert 24 hours a day?

Everyone with more than 500 Kudoz can squash but only mods can unsquash I believe. This limit will be increased to 1000 I think. You too can squash but remember to do it judiciously. Pre-squashing facility? Too cumbersome, too many administrative steps included. Not feasible.

I myself squash only repetitions, entire paragraphs, entire letters, jibberish, wrong language pairs. I am not offended by obscenities or anything of that ilk. I provide a level-headed answer and translate them to appropriate obscenities in the target language.

I will never squash questions posted by somebody, member or not, who others may think have posted *too many* questions. Most moderators would tend to think the same way (especially in the Fr/De/Ru/It>En SCs). Find out what your EsEn mod thinks.

6. New criteria for squashing or pre-squashing questions: for instance, more than ten members agree that it\'s abusive, asker is known to have been abusive in the past, asker is not a “renowned” member of KudoZ and s/he’s posting more than 20 “suspicious” questions in a row...

The moderator is perfectly suitable for this role. All too often, over-zealous members jump to conclusions, rant and holler, shout \'abuse, abuse\', and it turns out that there\'s a simple answer. Why is it difficult to give everybody the benefit of the doubt before ranting and raving? Just go to old forum messages and read the countless posts on this subject. It mostly fizzles out and everyone forgets after several days. It\'s so easy to just let it be.

7. Should we require that the asker always provides an e-mail address or at least that the moderator or “vice-moderators” can see it to warn the asker of an abusive practice before the others begin to be rude in their agreements or disagreements?

Yes, this is being done. Ralf and I certainly do it in our SC. We try to encourage everybody to stick to terminology and refrain from making any comments that deviate from linguistic issues. It has worked most of the time. Recalcitrant members are given warnings (and many have received them), then some more warnings, then expelled by Henry (we\'ve seen several of those). This is only the last resort. One member, for example, has been expelled six times.

As you may have surmised, we have different definitions of abuse. Mats has said it succinctly: an asker is someone in need. It is the nature of Proz.com that this need be met by competent translators. If you object to the ways this need is expressed, then you really have no business answering questions.

A \'disagree\' accompanied with a snide remark in the comment box will only precipitate other snide remarks or snowball into open warfare. Now, who benefits from that?

Answering the damn question is so much easier!

And, truthfully, many who have been here for years, and not months like you, get impatient with newbies who come blazing in with *brilliant ideas* when it\'s really obvious that these ideas have been hashed and rehashed before. Simply read old forum messages.

This issue about Kudoz abuse is as old as dinosaurs. It\'s time to settle down and bury this fossil. If you choose to be a paleontologist and dig up old bones, then don\'t be surprised if you encounter Jurassic opposition.

Nonetheless, do not think that your suggestions are being ignored. Henry has said that his priority lies in providing fast, efficient service to members. That means, accesibility, programming, etc. Improvements are being made all the time. Patience is the order of the day.

Marcus

ps: como te llamas?

Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Patronising reply to reasonable questions Mar 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-26 17:25, marcushm wrote:

Karin was simply voicing the opinion of most \'senior\' members who have been members since the inception of this site...

If somebody answers, then don\'t huff and puff, screaming foul...

Now who has offended you so much that you want him/her voted out? I\'m telling you now, this is a lost cause. I\'m fiercely loyal to my fellow mods b... See more
Quote:

Karin was simply voicing the opinion of most \'senior\' members who have been members since the inception of this site...

If somebody answers, then don\'t huff and puff, screaming foul...

Now who has offended you so much that you want him/her voted out? I\'m telling you now, this is a lost cause. I\'m fiercely loyal to my fellow mods because I know the good work they do...

All too often, over-zealous members jump to conclusions, rant and holler, shout \'abuse, abuse\'...

If you object to the ways this need is expressed, then you really have no business answering questions...

And, truthfully, many who have been here for years, and not months like you, get impatient with newbies who come blazing in with *brilliant ideas* when it\'s really obvious that these ideas have been hashed and rehashed before...

This issue about Kudoz abuse is as old as dinosaurs. It\'s time to settle down and bury this fossil. If you choose to be a paleontologist and dig up old bones, then don\'t be surprised if you encounter Jurassic opposition...

In other words: stop bothering us, we\'ve been here longer than you and therefore what we think and do must be sensible and right. If we haven\'t managed to resolve a recurring, thorny issue, obviously the problem lies not in us but in the issue; let\'s define a difficult issue as a non-issue and bury it under the carpet. If you have a problem with this, well ... tough.

PS. What about a moderator I have been emailing on and off for several months with various issues (including those Kudoz questions that come under this moderator\'s remit), and he has not once so much as acknowledged my emails? Henry has never replied to my messages about this problem. Would you be fiercely loyal to this moderator regardless of his behaviour? I guess you would - he is a senior (read: important) person. But in this supposedly meritocratic forum, I would vote him out like a shot: professionalism should take precedence over moribund tradition.
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please, somebody close this topic Mar 26, 2002

Enough of gossip. I\'m getting personal e-mails smearing others reputations (including mine). I\'m sick of all this, you\'ve put me off ever taking part in the forum again.

Bill Greendyk
Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2002

Quote:

Just remember one thing: you don\'t agree with the method? Go do something else! You feel you\'re being taken advantage of? Go do something els... See more
Quote:

Just remember one thing: you don\'t agree with the method? Go do something else! You feel you\'re being taken advantage of? Go do something else!

If somebody answers, then don\'t huff and puff, screaming foul. Respect the fact that people will define abuse differently from you.

I will never squash questions posted by somebody, member or not, who others may think have posted *too many* questions. Most moderators would tend to think the same way (especially in the Fr/De/Ru/It>En SCs). Find out what your EsEn mod thinks.

The moderator is perfectly suitable for this role. All too often, over-zealous members jump to conclusions, rant and holler, shout \'abuse, abuse\', and it turns out that there\'s a simple answer. Why is it difficult to give everybody the benefit of the doubt before ranting and raving? Just go to old forum messages and read the countless posts on this subject. It mostly fizzles out and everyone forgets after several days. It\'s so easy to just let it be.

A \'disagree\' accompanied with a snide remark in the comment box will only precipitate other snide remarks or snowball into open warfare. Now, who benefits from that?

Answering the damn question is so much easier!

And, truthfully, many who have been here for years, and not months like you, get impatient with newbies who come blazing in with *brilliant ideas* when it\'s really obvious that these ideas have been hashed and rehashed before. Simply read old forum messages.

This issue about Kudoz abuse is as old as dinosaurs. It\'s time to settle down and bury this fossil. If you choose to be a paleontologist and dig up old bones, then don\'t be surprised if you encounter Jurassic opposition.

Nonetheless, do not think that your suggestions are being ignored. Henry has said that his priority lies in providing fast, efficient service to members. That means, accesibility, programming, etc. Improvements are being made all the time. Patience is the order of the day.

Marcus

ps: como te llamas?

Without in the least bit attempting to disparage your worthy input, Marcus, and at the expense of not precipitating another string of verbosity, I will keep my remarks to a minimum.

First of all, you comment, somewhat sanctimoniously, that Karin is only voicing the opinion of most senior members who have been members of this site since its inception three years ago. I find that very interesting, given that fact that out of more than 30 answers to Cidcampeador\'s politely-worded QUESTION, only one of them has rallied behind your comments. On the other hand, various others, including myself, have been somewhat surprised at the no-less-than acrid remarks that have been peppered at Cid by your person. Look back in this thread, one contributor even remarked that what you wrote was \'incredibly rude.\' Enough on that, let the facts speak for themselves.

What I marvel at is your propensity to insinuate that we \'newbies\' are coming blazing in with our new ideas, while you \'seniors\' have hashed these things out once and for all.

Let\'s get a couple of things straight first. In my book, offensive language coming from a tadpole or a tyrannosaurous is the same - offensive language. (Tyrannosaurous - a large carnivorous dinosaur with small limbs and a large head) Perhaps your reference to \'Jurassic opposition\' warrants some truth??

You appear to consider it horribly rude, unthinkable, and even unallowable that a fellow paying member posts a polite remark in a \'disagree\' stating that the questions are becoming more than the occasional. On the other hand, you do not find it rude at all to answer another ProZ members legitimate, politely-worded question with an epithet of cyber-screaming at its worst. \'You can go skip rope, holler till you\'re blue, you can go can it.\' etc., etc.

Do yourself a favor and read the original question innocently posed by Cidcampeador. (By the way, I\'m not her lawyer, I\'ve never met her! But I do respect her work and input in Kudoz.) Then read your two replies to her. In this last reply you wrote, you over-used the words \'rant, holler, yell, rave, scream\' to the nth degree. Is this the way YOU react to things that don\'t exactly suit your whims? You wrote that a [\'disagree\' accompanied with a snide remark will only prompt other snide remarks that will snowball into open warfare.] Don\'t you think that by posting such nasty comments in a forum you are contributing with ammunition to spare in such a warfare. Where is the spirit of camaraderie, of answering one another\'s questions courteously, EVEN IF they have been asked (and unanswered productively, obviously), before???

You breathe out threatenings of Jurassic opposition. That makes me wonder if you realize that perhaps the dinosaurs aren\'t still alive here. Don\'t forget, you can only find bones of them these days, and they are your so-called paleontologists who find them. Perhaps we newbies may be threatening what was once a dinosaur-dominated domain?

Please, let\'s keep this from snowballing ourselves, OK. I simply had to answer what I felt was completely unfair and intolerable treatment of my colleague. She\'s quite capable of that herself, I know that, but we all need someone else to rally behind us once in a while. Have a nice day. Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Excellent, William Mar 26, 2002

I agree with everything you just said.

_____

Teresa wrote:

Quote:

I\'m getting personal e-mails smearing others reputations (including mine). I\'m sick of all this, you\'ve put me off ever taking part in the forum again.

So, certain people\'s regal \"rent-a-mob\" has sprung into action yet again,
... See more
I agree with everything you just said.

_____

Teresa wrote:

Quote:

I\'m getting personal e-mails smearing others reputations (including mine). I\'m sick of all this, you\'ve put me off ever taking part in the forum again.

So, certain people\'s regal \"rent-a-mob\" has sprung into action yet again, has it? Sad!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-26 21:37 ]
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Canada
German to English
+ ...
to William Mar 26, 2002

This will be short. Let me deflect the nascent acrimony, which, I admit, I may have inadvertently precipitated (as I have already said in my second post).

The sanctimony that might be deduced from the use of the word \'newbie\' was not intended. Merely used to stressed a point. There was no desire to downplay your contribution or anyone else\'s. The \'rant and rave\' was used again to describe something that happens frequently.

Your assessment of the ton
... See more
This will be short. Let me deflect the nascent acrimony, which, I admit, I may have inadvertently precipitated (as I have already said in my second post).

The sanctimony that might be deduced from the use of the word \'newbie\' was not intended. Merely used to stressed a point. There was no desire to downplay your contribution or anyone else\'s. The \'rant and rave\' was used again to describe something that happens frequently.

Your assessment of the tone of my posts is noted. My intention was to answer Teresa\'s (cidcampeador) questions. Some impatience may have come to play when I wrote them.

But now that you\'ve had your say, what then are your thoughts about Kudoz rules?

Marcus

(T.Rex)

Collapse

German to English
+ ...
Rent-a-mob Mar 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-26 18:34, Cidcampeador wrote:

Enough of gossip. I\'m getting personal e-mails smearing others reputations (including mine). I\'m sick of all this, you\'ve put me off ever taking part in the forum again.

Gee, I always thought that T. rex hunted its prey alone, not in packs (but what else is new?)

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-26 18:34, Cidcampeador wrote:

Gee, I always thought that T. rex hunted its prey alone, not in packs (but what else is new?)

Anyhow, we have come way off the original topic, which was squashing, not KudoZ in general. Squashing is a feature given to us by the \"powers that be\", and it is up to every individual with such \"squashing rights\" to exercise them whenever and wherever necessary.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-26 21:52 ]Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please tell me how to get a moderator to squash abusive users!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »